The Corroboree
GoOnThen

Wanted Harrisia jusbertii / Eriocereus jusbertii

Can someone help me out I am looking for Harrisia jusbertii / Eriocereus jusbertii cutting or seeds.

If I can find this plant I will propagate it so It is available to this community

I am willing to trade or pay cash

Cheers

Got

It's a shocking noxious weed and Birds spread the seed far and wide. I would urge you not to spread this one around, noxious cacti are TERRIBLE! It may even be illegal to grow or introduce it into your state.

Selenicereus are much better all round, with fragrant ornamental flowers.

I can send you Selenicereus cuttings if you like.

I would also like to express my interest in obtaining this cactus.

According to weeds.org.au its category : Weeds 4a -

4: This plant has been recorded as a noxious (declared) weed. This is a legal category and may take the form of

a prohibition on entry, sale and movement to requirements to eradicate or control.

A: The capital A after any of the preceding numbers indicates that this species has met this criterion in Australia.

However, I also notice they have pereskiopsis in there listed as a weed, and I manage to keep mine well under control.

Its pretty much the weedlike characteristics that make it appealing for grafting, being hardy and vigorous and whatnot.

So, if you happen to have weed problems with eriocereus, perhaps you could hack it up and send some my way, where it will live in a controlled environment with a parasitic lophophora button sucking up its energy.

Thanks for sharing! Im learning a lot from this topic.

(The weed reference sheet referred to above is: http://www.weeds.org.au/docs/intro_flora_australia.pdf )

It's a shocking noxious weed and Birds spread the seed far and wide. I would urge you not to spread this one around, noxious cacti are TERRIBLE! It may even be illegal to grow or introduce it into your state.

Selenicereus are much better all round, with fragrant ornamental flowers.

I can send you Selenicereus cuttings if you like.

I am chasing this for grafting stock and I was also under the impression that it is self sterile. As far as noxious weeds go in my state Lophophora comes under the same classification. :wacko:

Allso I think if my memory is correct pere and spach are in the same classification.

I have a Selenicereus which I have been propagating but I am defiantly interested in different ones. Can you let me know what you have or post a pic.

I would also like to express my interest in obtaining this cactus.

Get in line buddy :P

Cheers

Got

hahah sorry got, put me in behind nigsy if ya have any luck :lol:

Ok after a bit of research I cannot find any mention of Harrisia Jusbertii or Eriocereus Jusbertii being declared as a weed but what I did find is Harrisia martinii which is a declared weed.

Taken from the link posted above

Harrisia jusbertii (Rebut ex K.Schum.)

Neale

Cactaceae

possibly = Harrisia pomanensis

(F.A.C.Weber) Britton & Rose X

Echinopsis eyriesii Pfeiff. & Otto

Harrisia martinii (Labour.) Britton

Cactaceae

See: Eriocereus martinii (Labour.)

Riccob.

◆ Weed - N - 1A - 2A - 3A - 4 - 5A

Cheers

Got

Eriocereus Jusbertii is believed to be a hybrid of unkown origin because it was never found in nature. However, parents are not known so every information about parentage shouldnt be more than speculation. But it is definately closely related to the Genus Echinopsis.

• Like 1

Harrisia spp is listed in 3 states in the weednet PDF

Harrisia spp. Cereus spp., Eriocereus spp. Harrisia cactus moonlight cactus, snake cactus, NSW C4(S), WA Check C1(h), QLD C1(h)

http://www.weeds.org...cs/weednet6.pdf

Then you have to lokk up your states relevant legislation to find what the key means in NSW C4 is:

Class 4 Plants that pose a potentially serious threat to primary production, the environment or human health, are widely distributed in an area to which the order applies and are likely to spread in the area or to another area. The growth of the plant must be managed in a manner that reduces its numbers spread and incidence and continuously inhibits its reproduction*

http://www.dpi.nsw.g...eeds/definition

Quite suprised to see Cereus spp is used as a synoym for Harrisia spp & Eriocereus spp, pretty stupid if you ask me & realy highlights the arbitrary nature of such lazy legislation.

The weednet PDF is the best tool I know of for 'weeds' within aus, if you know of anything better let us know.

Edited by shruman

I wouldn't put too much trust in AQIS data base Zelly,

Just because its the official list doesn't mean it's worth the electrons bothered to transmit it. Hell how many plants in circulation are listed as weeds on ICON & how many plants that are currently infesting significant areas of bushland are deemed by aqis to be all good :scratchhead:

• Like 1

I've seen wild Harissas here in SE Qld. looks like something that would cause major damage to feet, paws and tyres.

It may be a different species but you really should take weeds seriously. You don't want to go down in history as the person who f%#ked up south west WA with a new cactus invasion. It's an amazing part of the world for biodiversity.

Just be careful is all I'm saying.

I have the same few Selenicereus that are doing the rounds, nothing out of the ordinary.

Edited by Halcyon Daze

Thanks for the input everyone

I would just like to say that I am only looking for Harrisia jusbertii / Eriocereus jusbertii I am not interested in any other Harrisia's

I am only looking for this plant as grafting stock only. I am not some young buck wanting to plant this in my garden of my rental property and then leave it to take over the bush.

I come from a family of gardeners that do understand the damage that some plants can cause and if I thought this plant could cause a problem I would not grow it. From the information that I have found so far this plant is self sterile if any one has any other documents that state otherwise I would be keen to see it.

As far as the plant being listed as a noxious weed they list Harrisia spp which also takes in Harrisia martinii. I totally agree with Harrisia martinii being listed and banned and I would never a temp to grow it or propagate it as grafting stock as from what I have read it is self fertile and very invasive.

I am going to collect as much information as I can find on Harrisia jusbertii and start a topic in the cacti forum soon.

Cheers

Got

Its self-sterile but can be fertilized with many plants from the Echinopsis and Trichocereus groups. And you know, its not even sure its really a harrisia because it is probably a hybrid. Its just where it was recently placed from todays latest tools of taxonomy. Same guys who placed Columnar Trichocereus in the same group with all kind of other shit like clumping Echinopsis and Lobivia. So i´d take that with a grain of salt. Of course you shouldnt plant it out somewhere but no one was talking about that anyway if i didnt overread anything. Its a grafting stock that many european growers use for indoor grafting.

Edited by Evil Genius

I have a couple Harrisia jusbertii plants. I'm not sure if you are still looking. I'm in the US though.

Edited by hostilis