The Corroboree
chnt

"GPs: Marriage will lead to health risks" - anti-gay BS

GPs: Marriage will lead to health risks

A group of 150 medical professionals have claimed same-sex marriage would negatively impact on people’s general health and potentially increase HIV rates.

In a submission to the recent Senate inquiry into same-sex marriage, the group Doctors For The Family said it was opposed to any change to the Marriage Act.

“Legislation of same-sex marriage will have significant ramifications that have been confirmed by research and events here and elsewhere,” the group said.

The submission stated that same-sex marriage would further “normalise” homosexual behaviour which would lead to health consequences. To illustrate their point, the group pointed to the higher rates of HIV and syphilis among men-who-have-sex-with-men (MSM) compared with heterosexuals.

National LGBTI Health Alliance general manager Warren Talbot said the claims were false.

“There’s obviously no intrinsic relationship between homosexuality and HIV status — globally HIV is a heteroseuxal pandemic,” Talbot told the Star Observer.

“It is a fact that in Australia and some other places, because the initial pool of infection was amongst MSM, that’s where the infections are going to be, but that has nothing to do with proving any intrinsic relationship between HIV status and homosexuality.”

Talbot said while he was concerned about the group’s views, he doesn’t believe their views were widespread in Australia’s medical community.

“I would be concerned that the 150 people who signed the submission [would not] treat an LGBTI person with the proper respect and dignity which all patients deserve,” he said.

“But Australia has 81,000 medical practitioners and I’m quite sure the 150 who’ve signed this submission are completely out of step with the Australian Medical Association, which has a very good policy on the acceptance of people with different sexual orientations and sexual diversity — so this group would be entirely out of step with the mainstream of the medical profession.”

In a submission to the same inquiry, the Australian Medical Students’ Association (AMSA) said legalising same-sex marriage would, in fact, benefit the health of LGBT people.

“Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) populations experience significant health disadvantage,” AMSA said.

“Discrimination, including legislation that precludes marriage equality, is an important cause of the health inequities experienced by LGBTI populations.

“The issue of marriage equality affects the whole of society. Instituting marriage equality is an important measure to remove discrimination against LGBTI populations and improve the health of these groups.”

An AMA spokesman told the Star Observer the AMA does not have a position on same-sex marriage.

what a load of shit...

once again we have people with archaic beliefs trying to hold on to archaic traditions, marriage is such a load of shit now anyway...

there's no fucking sanctity, just religious idealism in combination with the capitalism of the wedding industry.

What a crock of shit, how could marriage increase the spread of HIV ?

The association of HIV with homosexuality came from the San Francisco experiments in the 80's where they "vaccinated" gay men for HepB and deliberately infected them with HIV at the same time as an experiment.

The stigma has remained to this day.

It's like another form of apartheid that humanity hasn't had the balls to deal with yet - pure discrimination.

By the way, I'm not gay.

Just offended that this type of thinking still pervades this country.

and wouldn't marriage reduce the number of sexual partner's a person will have regardless of sexuality?

if people have fewer sexual partner's wouldn't that decrease the risk of spreading things such as HIV?

logically the claims make no sense at all...

Edited by chnt

we're all brainwashed maan, the systems keepin us down

Thats a good article.

“I would be concerned that the 150 people who signed the submission [would not] treat an LGBTI person with the proper respect and dignity which all patients deserve,”

“But Australia has 81,000 medical practitioners and I’m quite sure the 150 who’ve signed this submission are completely out of step with the Australian Medical Association

That sounds bang on to me. We will allways have persons of diferent views. So let them go on there crusade. But the number of fools behind it is enough to tell us that everything isnt as fucked as the vocal minority seem to make it look.

By this point gay marriage isnt something for alot of hetros to get ancy about, because alot of us have held the belief that no one has the right to tell us who we can marry, FOR A LONG TIME. Hard to believe that legalisation hasnt happened yet, it seems like such a no brainer now days ...

one would think this issue is a no brainer...

What does Dave Grohl have to say about all of this ?

• Like 2

By the way, I'm not gay.

yes you are.

In denial is very Egyptian.

I swear I'm not gay

I've never fucked a poof

But I've fucked a bloke who reckons he has.

^^^^don't worry SallyD...

Psylo was openly admitting to his lerv 4 ladyboys on chat only the other night...

A definite member of the SFC... :blink:

Edited by space cadet 101

It just goes to show how many homophobic people there are masquerading as health care workers.

Let them get married if they want to, they're not hurting anyone except 4 each others bums...& they seem to enjoy that anyway.

Well @ least it seems so, they keep going back for more.

It's all consensual....so what's the problem.

What does Dave Grohl have to say about all of this ?

& psylo what are u getting @ man...ru saying Dave Grohl's gay? I gotta read more tabloids if that's the case, cause I missed that one...pmsl.

It just goes to show how many homophobic people there are masquerading as health care workers.

Let them get married if they want to, they're not hurting anyone except 4 each others bums...& they seem to enjoy that anyway.

Well @ least it seems so, they keep going back for more.

It seems that there a few homophobes masquerading as amateur ethnobotanists too.

• Like 1

Psylo was openly admitting to his lerv 4 ladyboys on chat only the other night...

I am not ashamed of my admission, so youre not really 'outing' me. . If I was single, i would not hesitate to spend some sexy time with a Thai ladyboy.

• Like 1