The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Happy Cadaver

native psychotria

Maybe you could answer this Ed. are the native psychotria species, such as hairy psychotria (loniceroides), similar in chemistry to the south american ones? did aboriginals have a use for them? i found some today in a nearby forest and was wondering if they can be useful for anything (besides producing oxygen and the like) ethnobotanically.

there was a post about this on one of the os forums.it refered to t mckenna and hawian native psycotrias.i believe defining caracturistic is espina[?] on leaves,not present on my flowering loniceroides or on my immature fitzlanii.

t s t .

Nothing that I can find about it on the net. If I come across it in a book/journal I'll post the info.

E D

ooooh!.

all american entheogens species has a australian brother!!!.

there are australian coca, australian tobacco and australian chacruna.

another australian species to add??.

Matey, we've got it all biggrin.gif

There's also a native strychnine tree. Presumably contains strychnine. Strychnos axillaris.

The Quinine Bush (Alstonia constricta), don't know if that has a brother or sister in south america.

Do you know the Milkbush (Neiosperma poweri) Ed?

Atherosperma moschatum - Southern sassafras

Doryphora sassafras - NSW sassafras

Cymbopogon ambiguus - native Lemon scented Grass

Smilax australis and glyciphylla - Native sarsparilla

Lobelia alata - one of the native lobelias

Rubus parvifolius - Native Raspberry

Nicotiana suaveolens - one of the Austral Tobaccos

Should not be missed either.

There are many more entheogen and related edibles with brothers overseas.

Milkbush, haven't heard of this one, does it grow in the more northern regions of Oz?

E D

[This message has been edited by Ed Dunkel (edited 04 April 2002).]

Milkbush is a rare plant, in the Apocynaceae, which occurs north in subtropical rainforest from alstonville, NSW. has fruit that looks similar to the australian tabernaemontana. Must have some interesting stuff in it i think.

I've been intrested in the milkbush for a while now and am growing a few trees for future use.

you don't have spares you can't propagate, oh well, i know you have a love of indoles so short it from the skyscraper.

Edited by darcy

sorry, no spares. they will probably start seeding in 2 years. cuttings didn't work for me, but you're welcome to try.

there's a yohimbine relative in there I think. I have a love affair with indoles.

I have a Tanzanian milk bush.Is this a

relative?

what does it look like?? This name is also apllicable to a type of Euphorbia.

I had a quick look in one of Sterling

Macoboy,s books and it appears to be Synadenum grantii euphorbiaciae.Oh well,its an attractive little succulent anyway.

I thought i might revive this thread instead of creating a new one. I have looked through the net a fair bit and also this forum. Prier's post on australian natives reminded me about the native psychotria's.

Has anyone found any info suggesting the activity of these? Whenever i see these guys they remind me of the south american relatives.

Im not sure about Psychotria loniceroides, but i believe P.simmondsiana is poisonous.

You can eat the fruit of loniceroides, the're not bad.

ooooh!.

all american entheogens species has a australian brother!!!.

there are australian coca, australian tobacco and australian chacruna.

another australian species to add??.

Dodonaea, native thorn apple, native sensitive plant.

don't know yet. not even sure where we planted them :blush:

we'll be doing a full census of our plants in about 3 months, so we'll have a whole lots of bio assaying to do after that :P

Im kinda just joining in on this but I found a psychotria daphnoides on the weekend does anybody know anything about this plant????

Milkbush is a very interesting plant - does anyone know much about its close relative the Southern Ochrosia (Ochrosia moorei).

From my research on the amended:

Guide to Psychoactive Plants Native to Australia 2007 [amended by me]

Psychotria loniceroides = no dmt

I'm finding it hard to glean much information on the Australian group of this Genus, but will keep looking

Edited by tonic

cheers for the link, not sure how I managed to miss that thread...U'ing the FTSE isn't as simple as all that to stone agers like myself haha...had a read, interesting.... but how conclusive? Something I found on erowid and others listed that even some samples of P.viridis tested totally negative for DMT. How many samples from what kind of range went into those results? Using birdseed buds to decide whether to lung back on some prime smoke would leave most of us having shitty weekends :D Anyone got any clues on the precursors in plants that may indicate the possibility of further developments given the right conditions? Apart from N, I mean :P Visually, the daphnoides looks more intimidating to the sampler... indian hawthorn on roids... not to judge a book by its cover but ya get what I mean.

thanks heaps once again for the link, all the help we can get eh?

greendreams