The Corroboree
niggles

75% of Americans to be obese by 2020 - OECD

That title is deceptive. My first reaction was to think 'bullshit', but deeper down in the article it says it right: overweight or obese.

Current estimates of the overweight or obese.rate here right now vary between saying 66% and 75%

Its most certainly a advancing problem now, I remember a time when I saw a fat person and thought 'theyre fat', that attention getter is gone and has been replaced by the occasions when I see someone near my age and think 'woah, theyre not fat'. And thats getting less and less common.

Only part of the problem is the abundance of fattening junk food and TV training people to be too lazy/affluent to cook. Theres now this trend of talking about 'healthy fats' and rapidly progressing to advocating consuming more fat, doctors are now doing that too! Lots of doctors saying coconut oil, coconut milk, yogurt, avocados, etc. being specifically healthy because of the fat. So if people dont give a damn they eat cheeseburgers and pizzas, but then if they decide to be 'healthy' they begin eating cheese salads and drinking smoothies made of yogurt, coconut milk, avocados, and fruit canned in syrup.

Still another factor is our totally ineffective and impotent public health advise. We are told ridiculously unbalanced guidelines because the health authorities think no one would WANT to be healthy and wouldnt listen to the correct advice. So we are told to eat a diet thats 30% fat and get a 'recommended' 5 grams of salt every day and a recommended 300 mg of cholesterol every day. They dont even differentiate between maximum and minimum! Theres many people who think because its recommended they should make sure they consume a full half cup of pure fat every day.

But the very core of it is that if people have two contradictory desires they tend toward the one they desire more strongly.

Americans want candy and meat a bit more than they want life and health.

75% hahhhahahahhaahaha

stupid Americans.

75% hahhhahahahhaahaha

stupid Americans.

what an ignorant and unempathetic thing to say...

• Like 1

x

Edited by Psylo

sure. i was being ironic maan, you know,

like saying something i obviously don't endorse using 'edgy irony to take more serious the opinions of those i'm parodying than they do themselves,

and thereby expose them to themselves maan, blowin miinds, like, saying some real edgy stuff like 'ilo ve the police, um capitalism is coool' etc . . .

deja vuu..

• Like 1

from the nation that now classes pizza as a vegetable, this isn't surprising.

2007 WHO study found that more than 2/3rds of Australia adults are overweight or obese. In 2005, WHO found 20% of Australians were OBESE. expected to rise to 29% in 2010 if trends continue. I don't know if there has been a follow up yet.

So we won't be too far behind them.

• Like 1

there's a lesson here for sure, it carries the seeds of its own destruction Marx said, a key feature of American success is their orientation to consumption, it allowed their people to flourish ephemerally, but ultimately it poisoned them..i hope people finally get that capitalism with 'democratic' biannual elections is not the be all and end all, ultimate social formula, and that in some of its forms it makes some people really fat

post-9884-0-25087700-1332829984_thumb.jp

post-9884-0-25087700-1332829984_thumb.jpg

post-9884-0-25087700-1332829984_thumb.jpg

Edited by bulls on parade

x

Edited by Psylo

must be the 3 kebabs i had for lunch

Chucklehead