The Corroboree
niggles

Native tarantulas prey on cane toads

We've got some pretty badass spiders at my place. There's a golden orb spider that's been in my front yard for AGES, she's about the size of a small excavator and pumps out kids like it's going out of fashion.

• Like 2

Hell yeah, am so over toads. Might go try and get some massive spiders, Had problems with the toads ripping up my seedlings :/. It could be good for my arachnophobic cousin, conquer the fear head on :)

Let's defeat the cane toad by importing increasingly rediculous amounts of predatory spiders from South America. That's how we got rid of the cane beatle right? What's the worst thing that could happen? We need to learn from the past! Haha

Let's defeat the cane toad by importing increasingly rediculous amounts of predatory spiders from South America. That's how we got rid of the cane beatle right? What's the worst thing that could happen? We need to learn from the past! Haha

The article refers to australian wolf spiders, which are native tarantulas. No invasive species required.

But it's not as funny if the government isn't importing invasive species to remedy a problem, only to end up with an even bigger problem.

Then we'll need to find a mud volcanos natural predator to help control the wild spread of the mud volcanos across the east coast.

these techniques have been perfected in springfield. as long as you can reach a step that involves snakes, you can end the sequence with snake-eating gorillas which die in winter.

The article refers to australian wolf spiders, which are native tarantulas. No invasive species required.

Um, wolf spiders aren't really tarantulas. They are from a different family. They are a modern spider where as the tarantula are a primitive spider :) . I wish we could import tarantulas from over seas to help eradicate cane toads.... I would love one of the Red-Knee tarantula. I am down to my last bird eating spider ( Australian tarantuala ). I had 4, and the longest living so far lived to 16 year... a female of course!. :)

Interesting article, thanks for sharing niggles.

Edited by Amazonian

there are native turantula's though, maybe wolf spider is the common name for them where they occur. I had a friend who was breeding scorpions and spiders, he had a native turantula with a 30cm span from leg to leg. Apparently they occur FNQLD and NT and even FNWA

yep naja naja, the bird eating spider or whistling spider are known as our tarantulas.

( i edited my above post as it did sound like i was saying that there were no native tarantuals.... :) )

The article actually says tarantulas and wolf spiders .

EDIT: From the opening post link:

Large native spiders, including the Australian tarantula, the wolf spider and the racing stripe spider, have all been found to prey upon cane toads,

Edited by Amazonian

So how do we go about getting these lovely arachnids to wipe out the toad population?

If theres ten cane toads to every person in australia, we all get a pet spider and feed them cane toads, by the end of the year theres no more toads and we need that spider eating gorilla that dies in winter.

Get your 'cane toad eating spiders' here,,, http://www.amazingamazon.com.au/bird-eating-spider-australian-tarantula.html

Really though, if one wanted a spider, i recommend getting a captive bred one, a baby. At one point, and maybe still now, people were digging them up all over the place to sell to pet shops for a quick buck which can have an impact on the spider population.

• Like 1

Get your 'cane toad eating spiders' here,,, http://www.amazingam...-tarantula.html

Really though, if one wanted a spider, i recommend getting a captive bred one, a baby. At one point, and maybe still now, people were digging them up all over the place to sell to pet shops for a quick buck which can have an impact on the spider population.

Yeah totally. Such a shitty thing to do. Wanna watch out though apparently those fangs can go right through boots and toenails.. Or maybe thats the south american ones. I cant remember... working with spiders was many much time ago.

hmmm, canetoads or spiders? what do I hate more? Spiders. Definitely spiders!

canetoads I can collect once a week and dispatch for compost. A few minutes a week [esp early in the season] pretty much keeps the population negligible.

All but Torsten should check this place for all your creepy crawly needs

http://www.thegreens...s.toy?aid=44068

i think the confusion with tarantulas comes from there being a European wolf spider with the name Lycosa tarantula,

Lycosidae being the family name of the wolf spider.

Edited by Moses

Those big North QLD Tarantulas can get massive like 20 cm leg span I went over to a guys house once and he kept on getting these massive spiders out and handling them.

The difference with Australian Tarantulas and south American ones is ours are really fast and alot more aggressive.. so this thing keeps crawling up this guys arm and on his neck and I am freaking out. And then it jumps on the floor and looks like it might come towards me and I am letting out a ned flanders sqeal and he is telling me not to stand on it. I was keen on spiders before that experience.

It was a similar spider to this http://www.thegreenscorpion.com.au/shopclose.toy?itemnid=130468

There are some magnificent specimens in that link ^ Moses.

You can get miniature spiders Torsten, you know, since you like miniature animals :P

U realize wat ur setting urself up for here don't ya T? I feel another paper weight coming on :P

The article actually says tarantulas and wolf spiders .

EDIT: From the opening post link:

Large native spiders, including the Australian tarantula, the wolf spider and the racing stripe spider, have all been found to prey upon cane toads,

That's where my confusion came in as well.

If anyone is interested in buying, the link that was posted to the greenscorpion website, they are great to deal with! I've got a fairly large collection myself, and have been a member of their forum for several years and it's another great community.