The Corroboree
Kee

Fitness

If you're performing a task that requires torque, then the amount of energy expended does not depend on the length of the lever (the arm in this case) if the torque required is the same. BUT, if you are talking about lifting a free weight, then the torque is proportional to the length of the arm for a given mass, so if the arms are longer then the energy expended is greater. In fact, both of your statements above are equivalent, because the torque required is related to the force required. You only really need to take into account the vertical component because you are pushing against gravity. Essentially, the energy require is E=mgh, where m is the mass, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the change in height.

Having said all that, it depends so much on physiology, of which I know very little. If you just look at the equation I gave above, it means the you actually absorb energy rather than expending it as you lower the weights (i.e. when h is negative). This is absurd, and the solution lies in the fact that most of the energy we use when lifting weights is converted into heat of the muscles rather than potential energy in the weights. That means that the efficiency of the muscles themselves probably has a much bigger effect on how much energy we expend when lifting.

So in practical terms shorter people tend to have shorter arms which makes exercises like bench press much easier, whereas people with longer arms might be able to lift more in exercises like deadlifts where longer arms are an "advantage" because it means a shorter lift.

I used to go to the gym and train heaps. (but then student debt got the better of my money and now I have to train at home :( )

What I would highly recommend is the book 'Starting Strength' by Mark Rippetoe. It's for people who want to be strong and able, not jersey shore cast members. It's basically a biomechanical manual to the 4 main exercises (SQUATS, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press). These 4 are compound exercises, and should generally take up a very large chunk of your energy. The book basically explains the posture and movements down to a T. It's basically so you don't crack your back doing deads. :)

Don't get sucked into gym product hype. The golden rule is that the bigger the writing, the shittier the crap they're peddling.

You need food, you need comfortable clothing, and 97% of people need to create a schedule of some form. If you go in and muck around, you will get better, but you are likely to plateau early on. With a schedule, it's plainly evident when you aren't advancing and need to change tactics. It also gives much greater confidence, because you can write down what you have accomplished, and then you can be sure if you have gotten stronger or not. My personal preference was to basically ignore 1-rep maximum weights, and only "count" 5-rep maximum weights. But probably more people just count both.

In terms of food, I would say that low-fat cottage cheese is not worth the extra effort. It tastes rank and has less protein. Secondly, it's quite possible to gain a shit-ton of muscle mass without having any carbs (e.g. a state of ketosis). That's what I was did, and it was great. The benefit of ketosis is that you don't get hypoglycaemic. Meaning you can work out even if you haven't eaten as recently. When you're carb-fuelled, if you exercise too hard you'll feel dizzy and stumble home slurring words and missing steps. I know because I switched a few months after to including carbs and used to get savage headaches and the shakes after working out too hard.

I never tried kettlebells, but they're not "better" than normal barbells. They're simply different (e.g. better in some respects, worse in others), and it's best to use a mixture of both for absolute strength. It's the common mindset of "If it's ancient and asian, and somewhat effective, then it must automatically be a secret that trumps anything we can come up with in the west."

Lastly, just remember to have fun, and BE SAFE. There are too many stories (myself included) of idiots who lifted too much or did something careless and put themselves out for months. I stepped on a stair awkwardly and twised (maybe fractured) my ankle, and it's seized up every morning I wake up and lost a few degrees of motion. It also cracks and feels different. :(

Why was this post negged? no insults, nothing...just some friendly advise.....

Nice try, jabez. If you aren't working out to improve your self-image you wouldn't be so concerned about the mirror. And you were clearly indicating that looking 'better' is your motivation for exercise.

Nice try!?! Honestly mate get over yourself.

I suffer from social anxiety and have a major issue with confidence. If looking fit makes me feel more confident about myself, so what! Why would that be such an issue for you?

Anyway, Standing out from the crowd has always caused me great anxiety, since I just see myself as a little bong rat who likes to keep to himself, I’ve never understood what is is people think I can do for them. So I’ve have always tried to wear worn clothes and to keep my hair long, messy and unwashed, speciffically to aviod looking like a pretty boy and standing out from the crowd.

But having said all that, why would I lie? After a few weeks of hiking around with a 30kg backpack under the tropical sun. It is a huge confidence booster and gives you a nice little natural high, to have groups of girls smiling and checking ya out, well there boyfriends jealosy look at ya with there chests out, just from walking down a crowded beach with your top off. Personally, I think anyone who tries to claim they wouldn’t get a kick from that is just in denial or jealous.

I’ve just never asked for it, like your trying to claim.

Anyway, it was just a popular tongue and cheek comment, which can help with motivation, sorry if I’ve offended someone without a pair of abs and shitty biceps. I am Sorry to go off on a rant about my boring life and how my mind works. But damn, without just simply saying ‘GET FUCKED’ I don’t know any other way to explain (defend) myself.

To sum up, I’ve got a logical mind and I say it how I see it. I have no time for peoples petty socially etiquette BS. How dare I?

Peace

• Like 2

sdfsfsdf

Edited by Teljkon

The muscles being useless comment was a joke! Anyway mate, I’m willing to bet I use my muscle for far more practical uses than you do. I mean if you want to go down that road.

Also, if you’re overweight then of course it’s incredibly easy to get rid of the fat by simply not eating so much and getting off your arse. Problem is, I was referring to someone who is trying to reach the peak of there fitness. What you may not be aware of, is that most people can only drop so much fat from a low calorie diet until you start losing muscle mass.

I tried for years to get rid of the bit of fat around my stomach, which covers the lower abs. But no matter what I did I couldn’t work it off, until I tried a high protein (about 180 grams a day) and low carb (under 50 grams a day) diet and I was eating 1800 calories a day, I dropped the last bit of fat in weeks. So you can tell me I’m full of shit all you want, since I’m speaking from first hand experience and know it worked for me.

btw, in regards to the micro vitamins, I have one word for you; ‘multivitamins’.

Oh yeah, lol to your ‘Beachbody’ videos. Don’t worry mate you’ll get there eventually. Oh dear, I’m being vain again! lol. Seriously though dude, if you want to look fit, just find a hobby that burns calories and works your muscle, then get scientific about your diet. 90 percent is psychological.

Anyway, you can get your knickers in a knot and tell me what you think is going to work all you want. Or neg away, because I dared to say it’s a nice feeling to know your packing a good body. I honestly don’t care. Although there are no hard feelings here, I’m already over it as I’m still writing. So good luck on reaching your goal.

Peace

• Like 1

There's nothing wrong with working out to look good lol - it's healthy and if you can find any excuse to work on your fitness and maintain a routine who are you to say what should be the motivation?

So in practical terms shorter people tend to have shorter arms which makes exercises like bench press much easier, whereas people with longer arms might be able to lift more in exercises like deadlifts where longer arms are an "advantage" because it means a shorter lift.

When it comes to stamina, I’ve always been of the opinion that shorter people tend to perform better simply because they are not carrying as much. So there for, shorter people don’t need to fuel up as much and need to rest their muscle less. That’s just my personal theory though.

Peace

On 05/12/2011 at 1:58 AM, jabez said:

The muscles being useless comment was a joke! Anyway mate, I’m willing to bet I use my muscle for far more practical uses than you do. I mean if you want to go down that road.

Also, if you’re overweight then of course it’s incredibly easy to get rid of the fat by simply not eating so much and getting off your arse. Problem is, I was referring to someone who is trying to reach the peak of there fitness. What you may not be aware of, is that most people can only drop so much fat from a low calorie diet until you start losing muscle mass.

I tried for years to get rid of the bit of fat around my stomach, which covers the lower abs. But no matter what I did I couldn’t work it off, until I tried a high protein (about 180 grams a day) and low carb (under 50 grams a day) diet and I was eating 1800 calories a day, I dropped the last bit of fat in weeks. So you can tell me I’m full of shit all you want, since I’m speaking from first hand experience and know it worked for me.

btw, in regards to the micro vitamins, I have one word for you; ‘multivitamins’.

Oh yeah, lol to your ‘Beachbody’ videos. Don’t worry mate you’ll get there eventually. Oh dear, I’m being vain again! lol. Seriously though dude, if you want to look fit, just find a hobby that burns calories and works your muscle, then get scientific about your diet. 90 percent is psychological.

Anyway, you can get your knickers in a knot and tell me what you think is going to work all you want. Or neg away, because I dared to say it’s a nice feeling to know your packing a good body. I honestly don’t care. Although there are no hard feelings here, I’m already over it as I’m still writing. So good luck on reaching your goal.

Peace

dfsdfsd

Edited by Teljkon

hell yeah work out! I love having good fitnesslevel and looking good.

I'm 83 kg's and bench 80kg's 10 times,... that may not be much for some,... but I dont want to get bigger as I like to surf..... my priorities are to be strong, fit and flexible so I can enjoy surfing for as long as I can.

As for gettig that ripped look,... I dont have the dicipline to cardio 30 to 45 mins every other day. Sometimes I just go walking with GF.

If guy works out just to get noticed by the mamacita's,... that is very okay in my book.

Working out is hard work! Even I get a kick out of myself when I see that all that working out ha paid off.

kettle bells. I think that KB's are great for working out,...as they allow you to do a few moves that regular dumbells might be limiting in. But in the end weight is weight.

Ride your bike to work and have lots of sex... all the exercise one needs :)

• Like 4

Sally D I am really interested in kettle bells I find the motion with kettle bells to be very natural and smooth but dont know of a good work out with them any recomendations on a program. I may sell a set of wieghts i have and try to trade them out for kettel bells. Plyo is very similar in that your doing natural movements not isolatin ones and movments that require alot of stabalizer mussels. I also have alot of interest in parquor seems like kettel bells would help that. I havent been able to do a pull up for years but I am looking forward to it.

Anything by Pavel Tsatsouline would be a good place to start, I found his work several years ago when I googled strength without bulk.

Enter the Kettlebel if you think Kettlebells could be for you would be a good start or

The Naked Warrior - this book would compliment the parkour well and the kettlebells would suit your goals of producing balanced all round strength. In this book he shows how work out with just body weight and no equipment is needed at all. He has consulted for SAS, Navy seals, and US marines and also has an extensive Russian military background.These are all instances where maximum efficiency and results are paramount, they have no room for anything that doesn't get optimum results.

Pavel has more qualifications in physiology and exercise than most people ever will, after 10 minutes with him many experienced athletes improve their performance by over 10%.

It's also intriguing to see Americans queue up to kiss his Russian arse whenever he writes something or makes a public appearance.

Take it easy on Jabez , we're all on our own path man.

hell yeah work out! I love having good fitnesslevel and looking good. I'm 83 kg's and bench 80kg's 10 times,... that may not be much for some,... but I dont want to get bigger as I like to surf..... my priorities are to be strong, fit and flexible so I can enjoy surfing for as long as I can. As for gettig that ripped look,... I dont have the dicipline to cardio 30 to 45 mins every other day. Sometimes I just go walking with GF.If guy works out just to get noticed by the mamacita's,... that is very okay in my book. Working out is hard work! Even I get a kick out of myself when I see that all that working out ha paid off.kettle bells. I think that KB's are great for working out,...as they allow you to do a few moves that regular dumbells might be limiting in. But in the end weight is weight.

That's not bad man - lifting close to 100% of your body weight ten times, many people will never get close to that.

I couldn't be fucked with cardio either, the way I see it your heart beats all day every day so it doesn't need any exercise. A few intense intervals can achieve the same or better results for fitness than long periods of cardio and if you build a bit of muscle that can burn the calories while you rest.

Weight is weight, but when it is applied in a different way it can produce much more resistance due to some basic mechanical principals.

A dumbbell or barbell is fixed in the palm so the leverage applied is always the same and the amount of force in newtons that it generates can be easily calculated. A dumbbell is also balanced so there is minimal torsion produced.

With a kettlebell the force is applied at a constantly changing position relative to your elbow and wrist. Then there is the torsion that a kettle applies to the muscles intensifying the exercise even more. This dynamic movement amplifies the forces many times so a kettlebell of the same weight as a dumbbell is much more efficient.

Ride your bike to work and have lots of sex... all the exercise one needs :)

That pretty well sums it up.

• Like 1

First I did not say low calorie diet I said Low calorie diet with proper nutrition. If you were over eating carbs that's your stupidity. Don't twist what I say to make your self right.

I’m fairly sure I didn’t even accuse you of being on a low calorie diet with poor nutrition. Maybe you should be taking your own advise. Are you seriously accusing me of eating to much? I’ve got less than 7 percent body fat mate. When I was a kid, my mum had this saying about throwing stones when you live in a glass house.

Multi vitamins will never be as bio available as what you find in a piece of broccoli or a simple berry.

How would you know? Anyway, eat some broccoli with your multivitamins, problem solved. I love broccoli! Fact is you have no idea how much micro-nutrients your actually consuming when eating fruit and veg these days. You really should be taking a good quality multivitamin everyday just to ensure you are getting your daily intake of the full range of micro nutrients.

Secondly 1800 calorie diet is a low calorie diet for some one your height who is physically active. The reason the higher protein helps people looking to burn that last bit of fat is that the extra protein on a low cal diet still allows for core mussel growth mussel burns fat Ta-Da results.

Am wrong! A 1800 calorie diet is exactly what I need to maintain my current body weight. Also 1800 is net calories. If I go for a hundred minute walk I’ve burnt 290 calories and would then eat 2090 worth of calories, resulting in a 1800 net calorie diet. Do I actually have to explain everything to you, as if you were a child.

Your not exactly right about the high protein diet either. You can gain muscle tone from a low calorie diet, but you can’t actually build muscle for very long on a low cal diet. A high protein diet keeps you feeling full, which will help you maintain your desired body weight, a high fibre diet helps with this as well. The low carbs causes your body to start using the fat as a main fuel source. But I wouldn’t need to explain that to a fitness expert like you.

The problem with a low calorie diet, is that eventually your body will think you are starving (your body doesn’t care about looking good with your top off, lol) and go into starvation mode, then your body will hold onto the fat with everything it’s got. Also eventually your body will start releasing hormones, which gives you the overwhelming urge to eat as much as possible. This is why a lot of people that go on a low cal diet can drop a lot of weight at first, but will just end up eventually putting it back on, plus more.

My knickers are not in a knot over any thing other than the fact that your handing out diet advice that's about as shallow as you are man. "Yeah man its all about low Carb high protein" go have a wank dude. If your going to tell half the story and not give out advice that covers all the bases I am going to give you shit.

Ok, before I responed, just keep in mind that you got nasty first. I felt sorry for ya and tried to take the high ground.

So, you want advise that relates to you? Well, if you weren’t so lazy and didn’t eat like a glutton then you wouldn’t have needed to drop 20kg in the first place.

As far as my beach body video goes you would probably be huffing and puffing going fuck i can hardly move. You can do it in 45 minutes burn up too a 1,000 calories and you don't use any weights bands pull up bars or any thing else. I would put money down that your work out is not that time effective.

Wow, a thousand calories in 45 minutes, how impressive. Is that what the video claimed? Along with the claim of rock hard abs in under 4 weeks or some shit I guess.

lol, can anyone else see the irony in teljkon bagging me out for wanting to look good, Well at the same time ranting on about his little fad workout video, labeled “Beachbodies”. Or maybe it’s just me.

Peace

On 05/12/2011 at 5:01 PM, jabez said:

How would you know? Anyway, eat some broccoli with your multivitamins, problem solved. I love broccoli! Fact is you have no idea how much micro-nutrients your actually consuming when eating fruit and veg these days. You really should be taking a good quality multivitamin everyday just to ensure you are getting your daily intake of the full range of micro nutrients.

dfsf

Am wrong! A 1800 calorie diet is exactly what I need to maintain my current body weight. Also 1800 is net calories. If I go for a hundred minute walk I’ve burnt 290 calories and would then eat 2090 worth of calories, resulting in a 1800 net calorie diet. Do I actually have to explain everything to you, as if you were a child.

fdasdfd

The problem with a low calorie diet, is that eventually your body will think you are starving (your body doesn’t care about looking good with your top off, lol) and go into starvation mode, then your body will hold onto the fat with everything it’s got. Also eventually your body will start releasing hormones, which gives you the overwhelming urge to eat as much as possible. This is why a lot of people that go on a low cal diet can drop a lot of weight at first, but will just end up eventually putting it back on, plus more.

sdfasdf

Wow, a thousand calories in 45 minutes, how impressive. Is that what the video claimed? Along with the claim of rock hard abs in under 4 weeks or some shit I guess.

lol, can anyone else see the irony in teljkon bagging me out for wanting to look good, Well at the same time ranting on about his little fad workout video, labeled “Beachbodies”. Or maybe it’s just me.

Peace

sdfasdfsdf

Edited by Teljkon

SallyD:

I should clarify that I've never seen anyone who is a kettlebell monster like yourself either. And that it might be because you're just good at training. :)

I know the best combination lifter (by a pretty huge margin) at my old gym was a guy who was at least 60 and he never touched kettlebells. He used to beat young guys on roids (not that he couldn't have been on them himself at some time).

Anyway, I'll read about the technique and give them a go. If it requires less equipment then I'm automatically interested.

SallyD:

I should clarify that I've never seen anyone who is a kettlebell monster like yourself either. And that it might be because you're just good at training. :)

I know the best combination lifter (by a pretty huge margin) at my old gym was a guy who was at least 60 and he never touched kettlebells. He used to beat young guys on roids (not that he couldn't have been on them himself at some time).

Anyway, I'll read about the technique and give them a go. If it requires less equipment then I'm automatically interested.

I hope I didn't come off like I was offended by what you'd said before man, I just have a very biased opinion towards Kettlebells.

And for what you said about me being good at training, that certainly is the case. We did a physical evaluation a high school and I broke a few records and exceeded most of my peers in most of the tests.

Kettlebells are by no means the only way to get good results, as you said some people do very well and they've never even seen one. With a bit of imagination the results would be very similar and for some areas other methods are even superior. I just find that Kettlebells are the best mix of strength,balance and sheer efficiency. Your whole body can be worked in minimal time.

What's true for me may not be for someone else.

One good thing about them is the tiny amount of space they take up compared to bars and benches etc.

I didn't buy into the diet discussion before because I've seen that go sour too many times. I like to enjoy my food and I know what works for me. If the diet gets to be a chore or the exercise gets boring then you aren't going to stay at it for long.

With a kettlebell you approach it with a different attitude you don't work out - you practice. That is only a minor detail but it makes a big difference in keeping motivated.

I have removed a number of posts which were going to send this thread to the bitches and gripes forum quickly. By removing these posts it basically cuts at the beginning of an argument which may seem like someone 'won' I left it this way because I thought it left in most of the good content.

From this point, please no name calling ( :rolleyes: ) , keep your replies on track and consider other people who may be reading this thread.

If anyone thinks this is unfair, PM me and we can discuss it.

Thanks.

Edited by watertrade

EDIT: Removed old post.

My workout:

Currently I'm doing staggered workouts, such that each area of my body is worked twice a week, but that I'm doing a work out each day.

My upper body workout is in counting stages of 1,3,1,3 of underhand chinup, pushups, overhand chinup, dips. By counting I mean that I start with 1 chinup, 3 pushups, 1 chinup, 3 dips, then immediately, on finishing that set, progress to 2,6,2,6 and then onto 3,9,3,9 etc until I cannot do further, then attempting to count down from the number I reached.

I've only just started, so nothing spectacular as far as results go yet, but I'm able to go through sets of 1, 2, 2, 1 (meaning 1,3,1,3,2,6,2,6,2,6,2,6,1,3,1,3) fairly comfortably. I shall endeavour to breach the 3x set within 2 to 3 weeks.

I haven't yet finalised my lower body and core workouts, but I shall be doing some research to see what I can come up with. One- and two- legged squats seem useful for lower body, for core, bridges, crunches, V-ups (or jackknives) are all candidates, though I'd need something for obliques and back. Perhaps hyperextensions, and bicycle crunches, we shall see. Looking to finalise exercises by the end of this week.

All of my proposed exercises are body-weight based, though I have some dumbells that are an option also. Will almost certainly be using them for lower body.

Edited by Sheather

asdfasdfsdfs

Edited by Teljkon

i have been swimming for 2 hrs daily for the last 2 months, though im starting to worry about the chlorine concentration in the town pool.

my eyes are always burning at the end, i just cant wear goggles.

i generally go lap for lap, breaststroke, freestyle and backstroke with the odd butterfly lap thrown in. as i get fitter ill try and do more butterfly.

my work can be quite physical, so i dont feel the need for any weights at the moment. my body type is such that if i do weights i just bulk up really quickly. im thinking about buying a good benchpress and dumbells though and doing high reps with low weights, that way i wont put on useless bulk muscle, but keep the muscle i have just make that muscle alot stronger.

i think being active and keeping fit plays a big role in your mental health. i believe a good exercise regime is far superior than a prescription for anti-d's

i had a bit of a "moment" at ega that has made me determined to eat much less meat. lots of corn and beans and peas (thanks t :wub: ) water with a simple exercise regime is something that im determined to continue for the rest of my life. exercising makes u feel GREAT, i guess its starting thats the hard part, but once u start receiving the dopamine reward afterward starting becomes alot easier IMO.

my work can be quite physical, so i dont feel the need for any weights at the moment. my body type is such that if i do weights i just bulk up really quickly. im thinking about buying a good benchpress and dumbells though and doing high reps with low weights, that way i wont put on useless bulk muscle, but keep the muscle i have just make that muscle alot stronger.

Lifting a light weight with high reps will improve what's known as strength endurance, that is it will give you more endurance in that particular area, but it won't really give you much gain in strength.

The quickest way to gain strength is to keep your reps low in the 3-5 bracket.

Lifting weights in a high rep regimen can be excellent exercise though if you want a cardio type of workout, if you arrange your exercises as circuit and use this approach you can get fit and toned very fast and also get the endorphin release that you remarked about.

Anything by Pavel Tsatsouline would be a good place to start...

With a kettlebell the force is applied at a constantly changing position relative to your elbow and wrist. Then there is the torsion that a kettle applies to the muscles intensifying the exercise even more. This dynamic movement amplifies the forces many times so a kettlebell of the same weight as a dumbbell is much more efficient.

That pretty well sums it up.

Thanks for saving me a lot of typing. If I could choose only 1 piece of equipment it would be a kettlebell :)

The Naked Warrior - this book would compliment the parkour well and the kettlebells would suit your goals of producing balanced all round strength. In this book he shows how work out with just body weight and no equipment is needed at all. He has consulted for SAS, Navy seals, and US marines and also has an extensive Russian military background.These are all instances where maximum efficiency and results are paramount, they have no room for anything that doesn't get optimum results.

Pavel has more qualifications in physiology and exercise than most people ever will, after 10 minutes with him many experienced athletes improve their performance by over 10%.

It's also intriguing to see Americans queue up to kiss his Russian arse whenever he writes something or makes a public appearance.

I just discovered a book called Convict Conditioning. It's basically the same idea of using only bodyweight, but from what I've read so far, I think I prefer it to the naked warrior. The two approaches are quite different, and I have no idea which one works better, but Convict Conditioning has much more specific workout plans and from that perspective I think is more self contained.

I just discovered a book called Convict Conditioning. It's basically the same idea of using only bodyweight, but from what I've read so far, I think I prefer it to the naked warrior. The two approaches are quite different, and I have no idea which one works better, but Convict Conditioning has much more specific workout plans and from that perspective I think is more self contained.

I used to spend a bit of time cruising the forums at dragon door which is Pavel's baby as far as I could make out.

They used to push Convict Conditioning really hard over there and many people got really good results from the program, so it is well tested and very effective. A lot of people struggled with the progressions as the book seems to progress through too quick for some.

From what I've read about it, it focuses on building real strength and power without the need for machines or a lot of equipment. I actually wanted to try it but I couldn't find it as a torrent so I only ever tried the progressions that were coming up in peoples questions on that forum. They are tough but they work well if you have the commitment to follow through with them.

I lost interest in that forum when I found out that I couldn't get my RKC in Australia, I was at the level where I could surpass all the requirements for the test so I'd reached as far as I could go in that direction.

I don't really stick to any routines as it seems too regimented and too much like hard work to me.

I could get better results with a program no doubt, but I can never stick to one long term.

That book would be a great place to start for most people for sure.