The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
MagicalMedic

What are the most delicious edibles you've grown or picked?

I just realised that of the maybe fifteen or twenty types of mushrooms I've tried my favourite is still the good old field mushroom (Agaricus campestris) - they're so rich and earthy, I love mushroom soup.

I also only just learned that button mushrooms / portobello (Agaricus bisporus) you buy in the supermarket are a distinct species different from field mushrooms, I always thought they were just different cultivars from the same species.

So what's the best you've grown and what are the best value for your time in terms of manageable difficulty for good mushrooms?

edit changed lesser difficulty to manageable difficulty.. didn't want to sound like I'd be unprepared to go the distance for something a little special

Edited by MagicalMedic

King Oysters by a very long margin in the balance tween ease and taste and efficiency.

Shitake are better to eat but a lot more trouble.

Grown = king oysters and lion's mane.

Picked = chanterelles and saffron milk caps.

Black poplars & lion's mane for me

Although i'm developing a taste for Auricularia auricula, prawn and asparagus stirfry :drool2:

Lactarius deliciosus-

my neighbour pickles them from fresh..

so damn tasty they bought a tear to my eye.

Shame they didnt come up this year. The rain timing seemed off.

Lactarius deliciosus-

my neighbour pickles them from fresh..

so damn tasty they bought a tear to my eye.

Shame they didnt come up this year. The rain timing seemed off.\\

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactarius_deliciosus

not these

http://www.mykoweb.com/CAF/species/Lactarius_deliciosus.html

But the best is a pickle, a rice vinergar,a little sugars great, salad addition

but i donn't them cooked and the boletes

yeah id have to go king oysters for grown and milk caps for picked too

King oysters are delish and have a great texture, they just pip Agrocybe aegerita for mine.

Morels for picked (although officially someone else picked them)

Those lactarius differ a lot in taste and texture despite being the same species? They do look quite different

I've just had a look at all these now I'm hungry, I've never seen or tried several of them :drool2:

I keep realising as I'm learning about some species though that I have seen so many mushrooms and fungi during bushwalks and never had much thought as to the possibility they might be edible before.. now I want to go out looking and try them

Sounds like I gotta grow me some oysters. I think today I'll start with asian grocer and a stir-fry though

What does this mean?

But the best is a pickle, a rice vinergar,a little sugars great, salad addition

but i donn't them cooked and the boletes

Recipe: Pickled King Oyster Mushrooms

Time: 15 minutes, plus 2 hours for marinating

3 tablespoons coriander seeds

8 ounces king oyster mushrooms, cut into 1-inch cubes

3 ramp leaves (or substitute scallion greens)

1 cup olive oil

12 cloves garlic, sliced

1 cup red wine

1 cup red-wine vinegar

Dash soy sauce

3 sprigs thyme

1 sprig rosemary

1 bay leaf

2 tablespoons salt, or as needed.

1. Toast coriander seeds in a dry skillet over low heat just until fragrant. Transfer to a plate and set aside. In a medium heatproof bowl, combine mushrooms and ramp leaves and set aside.

2. Place oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add garlic and sauté until golden. Add toasted coriander seeds, wine, vinegar, soy sauce, thyme, rosemary, bay leaf and ½ cup water. Add 2 tablespoons salt, tasting and adding more as needed, taking care not to under salt.

3. Increase heat and bring mixture just to a boil. Pour hot liquid over mushrooms and ramp leaves. Allow to stand uncovered for 2 hours. Strain and serve, reserving liquid for salad dressing or pickling.

Yield: 4 servings.

Edited by devance
  • Like 1

Picked - saffron milky caps in a risotto is my May staple

grown - shaggy manes - i had some success with a variety of different oysters, enoki but I dont really like these. Next year i want to try my hand at an outdoor patch of wood blewits (Lepista nuda) and wine caps.

eaten - by FAR the best tasting mushroom I have ever tried is the Porcini/ceps. In a tart with goats cheese and cream oh my god!

As for worst - you havent asked but I can give you a few candidates: Enoki are just foul in my opinion, and a local mushroom similar to Chalciporus piperatus wasnt fantastic either.

Edited by Zen Peddler BlueGreenie

Just ate a Lactarius volemus from yesterdays picking.

Fried in some salt butter and put on a soft piece of bread, :drool2:

i have to admit that the almost extinct mushroom is now my fav, so concentrated flavor!

Do you have it in aussie?

Picked - saffron milky caps in a risotto is my May staple

grown - shaggy manes - i had some success with a variety of different oysters, enoki but I dont really like these. Next year i want to try my hand at an outdoor patch of wood blewits (Lepista nuda) and wine caps.

eaten - by FAR the best tasting mushroom I have ever tried is the Porcini/ceps. In a tart with goats cheese and cream oh my god!

As for worst - you havent asked but I can give you a few candidates: Enoki are just foul in my opinion, and a local mushroom similar to Chalciporus piperatus wasnt fantastic either.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clitocybe_nuda

Edibility

Wood blewits are generally regarded as a good edible, but they are known to cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. This is particularly likely if the mushroom is consumed raw, though allergic reactions are known even from cooked blewits. Wood blewits contain the sugar trehalose, which is edible for most people.

Blewits can be eaten as a cream sauce or sautéed in butter, but it is important not to eat them raw, which could lead to indigestion. They can also be cooked like tripe or as omelette filling, and wood blewits also make good stewing mushrooms.[3]

Only live on dead tree stuff.

[wood eater]

Edited by devance

wild picked... Saffron Milk-caps, Morels or Wood Blewits from oak leaflitter

all three are different and I cant pick one over the others

grown... King oysters, or maybe Beech Oysters (Hypsizygus ulmarius)

from buried logs in the garden, but maybe the enjoyment of eating them was

clouded by the delight of finding them finally fruiting in the garden :)

...though I may change it to black truffles one day. :drool2:

Just ate a Lactarius volemus from yesterdays picking.

Fried in some salt butter and put on a soft piece of bread, :drool2:

i have to admit that the almost extinct mushroom is now my fav, so concentrated flavor!

Do you have it in aussie?

No, we don't have L.volemus in Aust.

but if you're offering sporeprints, I'm always up for a challenge.

i have small seedling pines and oaks ready for that sort of thing. :rolleyes: