The Corroboree
hypnotoad

Amazing flowers

Has anyone ever heard of this or had any luck growing it in aus? Puya berteroniana

post-8332-0-34866700-1315902091_thumb.jp

post-8332-0-13417900-1315902105_thumb.jp

post-8332-0-40493500-1315902114_thumb.jp

post-8332-0-34866700-1315902091_thumb.jpg

post-8332-0-13417900-1315902105_thumb.jpg

post-8332-0-40493500-1315902114_thumb.jpg

post-8332-0-34866700-1315902091_thumb.jpg

post-8332-0-13417900-1315902105_thumb.jpg

post-8332-0-40493500-1315902114_thumb.jpg

woah

• Like 1

I wonder what the true flower colour is? Seems there's a lot of variation in the photographs of them of the web. Gorgeous flowers whatever colour they may be.

I saw one in a BG [not sydney] a couple of years ago and the flower colour was exactly like this. amazing plant. would absolutely love one of these.

so if it is in different gardens then surely it must have escaped into private collections by now....

I grow some Puyas from the SS field Trips and i fell in love with the whole genus. I have an excess of seedlings so i would be happy to send one or two of them to skilled people with the right climate. Not sure if its one of the ones i got though....mine come from Peru and i have two diffrent types and seed for another one. I can also give away some of the last seed package i got from the third type i got but i only have very few seeds left. So if your interested, please let me know and we´ll work out a trade. Im also very interested in getting seed for every other puya type you might get across btw. bye EG

Edited by Evil Genius

What a shame that when the plant is blooming like that it is in the process of dying. It takes 10 to 20 years to get it to bloom in the first place. Blooming goes on for 6 to 8 months and then it dies. It really is a beautiful flower that requires some investment. But what a reward...My Aunty had one when I was a kid in Townsville...Long gone now...

Thanks for sharing....

are you sure the plant dies after flowering? I am pretty sure I've seen the same plant flower twice. This is a Puya, not an Agave.

I think it is monocarpic.... I don't believe all the species are but I do believe this one is. Hope I am not misleading anyone but I always thought it was....I'll ring my Aunty tonight and ask....

I saw one in a BG [not sydney] a couple of years ago and the flower colour was exactly like this. amazing plant. would absolutely love one of these.

so if it is in different gardens then surely it must have escaped into private collections by now....

Maybe you could find one via here

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/92923/#b

Aha! Thought I recognised that flower!

They are available, Diggers have them, featured on page 42 of their Spring Garden 2011 catalogue. They have Puya alpestris, berteroniana, venusta and chilensis for sale as plants only. $7.50- $12.95 club, cost a bit more if a non-member.

Kind of looks like a massive cannabis bud from a distance.

Oh to have a bigger garden! :(

Edited by Alice

There was no point ringing my Aunty....she hardly even remembered who I was...Bloody dementia which is a shame cause she was so into plants....anyhow, found out more at wikipedia which confirms what she told me years back...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puya_(genus)

And Alice, check out the photo in the link...they do look like massive buds don't they :drool2:

Edit: I don't know why but the link is not working as it should but it gives you the option to go to it...strange...

Edited by Dolos

Edit: I don't know why but the link is not working as it should but it gives you the option to go to it...strange...

The last bracket isn't wrapped in code.

I ordered some of these seeds last week. Absolutely stunning.

Hope they are allowed into the country

If they do let them in, be sure to let me know. I'd love some.