The Corroboree
Zen Peddler

What would you do first to your house

Also forgot to mention - im trying to work out which one of these I should do first, kind of aware that I have limited funds and dont want to spend money on something that isnt really gonna add value:

1. landscaping

2. extending by adding a room and a conservatory

3. decking out back for entertaining

4. putting in a carport (digging into the slope, adding retaining wall and covering.

Seems to me that it's a personal choice that needs to be based on your own requirements. I'm a long way off owning my own house, let alone making any additions, but I've thought about what I want in a house a fair bit, and my choices would be vastly different to most people's. For example, a room with a 16' high ceiling for juggling would be handy, but I doubt that would be on many people's wishlists.

I find landscaping is an ongoing project, the others have well defined end points. I'd do the deck first, then you have somewhere to cook a BBQ when you get mates around to do the other stuff.

• Like 1

Also, put a time capsule under your deck for shits and giggles.

• Like 1

i was walking through a particularly affluent part of my surrounding suburbs the other day and i saw some house being turned into a castle, complete with lookout extending above the already 3 story mansion. crazy shit. maybe you want a lookout?

but if it was me i spend the money making it as energy efficient as possible, solar panels, rain water tanks, decent insulation etc (i've not really an idea how this should be). but if you have all that set up your garden to be as self sustainable as possible. maybe put in some aqueduct so you can trickle rain water to the nether reaches etc.

Edited by qualia

Landscaping is ongoing, but when we first moved in we did some pretty major landscaping project. Only 2 years on and we have a VERY productive garden. Already getting decent fruit from the trees etc, so at least get those big things in first as they take time. Do not skimp on organic fertiliser when setting up: "Yes darling, we absolutely DO need all of this 180 kg of Rooster Booster for our little vege garden. Plants need food too". Hehe.

We were lucky in that the house already had a deck, garage, and doesn't need extending (yet).

But if I were you I'd do the deck first. It's basically a whole other room and If you're anything like us you'll spend more time out on the deck than anywhere else. Drinkies, BBQs, potting up, some small vegies in pots on the sunny side, keeping the cactus out of the rain etc. Just get a little electric blower to keep it nice and clean and you're set :)

And congrats on becoming a homeowners, nothing beats it :)

Edited by Alice

maybe you want a lookout?

Hell yeah! And may as well put in a moat and drawbridge while you're at it. (A solar powered drawbridge).

(A solar powered drawbridge)

I like the way you think.

Landscaping would be my first choice, but it really depends on what your priorities are.

Well Ive owned the place for a year - its up in the hills outside Melbourne and I LOVE it.

But its got some major issues and most of these come back to drainage and erosion, so I think the landscaping and retaining walls in a few spots might be the go. We get land yabbies up in the hills and they cause major problems with erosion as they always dig in groups and the soil then erodes.

My mum however got it in my head that in landscaping and drainage your blowing pretty big bucks on basically very little, whereas something added to the place like a deck or a conservatory has obvious value.

Im also quite broke (did i mention that?) so I wontbe able to spend anything on the place again for a long while. Maybe I should just do the lot I guess?? Ill have to extend the loan anyway so I may as well do it all at once??

Edited by Zen Peddler BlueGreenie

If you're thinking about it in terms of adding value to the house, then it makes no sense to do it all at once and spend extra on interest. If it's all for your own pleasure then you might as well enjoy it for as long as possible (i.e. do it sooner) if you can handle the repayments.

Deck for sure.

Let the landscaping be a life project with no set deadlines, that way it will evolve in design as the years progress. Start with a vege garden !

I'd begin by extending, adding a room and a conservatory, that i image you'll use as study reading area - is that the plan?

I would imagine you are thinking as a place you may well end up using a lot especially if it gets good sun, i dont know if you have kids or are thinking about it, but an escape place is essential. landcaping is ongoing, and deck may be great to have, but i bet you'll end up spending more of your time in study/conservatory.

Cheers, Obtuse.

I'd Build an Observatory.

Plant trees now. Do hardscapes later. Deck sounds nice - summer beers out on the deck. Garage in winter.

^^^

Would the root systems of trees help with erosion? Why not a few acacias around the joint to help hold the soil in place? The idea of a little conservatory, complete with glass walls filled with cacti, little sound system, comfy chairs, fuck...that'd be a pretty good place to wind down on a friday arvo!

cheers

I should have explained. I live in a forest - my block has about 40 or so 30 metre plus Mountain Greys and some messmates as well.

Like everyone else said; depends where your priorities lie. I'd do the deck first, to enjoy doing whatever else you do. If you're there reasonably long term I'd do the landscaping right after the deck (at least fix the erosion problems to start). If you're going for re-sale value, adding an extra room as well as the carport (assuming there isn't already a garage/carport) would be my first pick. Depends what condition the house is in already.

But living in a forest? I'd have had the deck in first go :)

I should have explained. I live in a forest - my block has about 40 or so 30 metre plus Mountain Greys and some messmates as well.

Massive treehouse! With flying fox!

• Like 1

Massive treehouse! With flying fox!

Now we're talking!

maintenance for sure is # 1. Plant trees or special plants to stop the erosion, which can be part of your landscaping.

The question is that if you want to add value,... who are you targeting? market wise speaking. Or is it simply for yourself?