The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
tripsis

Deleted private messages are not actually deleted

So I noticed something quite interesting yesterday. After deleting private messages, they can still be accessed by going to the notification list and accessing them from there. Unless you then delete the notification, the message remains there. Why is this the case? Are the messages ever actually deleted? I presume that if notifications are switched off, then this couldn't happen, but are the messages still stored somewhere?

So I noticed something quite interesting yesterday. After deleting private messages, they can still be accessed by going to the notification list and accessing them from there. Unless you then delete the notification, the message remains there. Why is this the case? Are the messages ever actually deleted? I presume that if notifications are switched off, then this couldn't happen, but are the messages still stored somewhere?

I have noticed that some PM converstaions have a red X next to them, which I assume to mean that the other party has deleted them on their end. I wonder what would happen if both parties deleted them, maybe the they disappear off the server for good ?

I have my notifications turned off but still have a list of messages notifications from before i turned the it off. If i try and view a message from that list , i get an error message. Yeah, so i don't really know tripsis.?

I see red X next to messages deleted from the other party, but sometimes instead of that, you get a 'JoeBlow has left the conversation' , which can be annoying because if you don't notice this ( under their nick, top left hand of the page in the convo'), you will be sending them messages and wonder why they are not replying?!

Torsten once said that messages are deleted from the server as soon as both parties have deleted them. So if you wanna try it, just send each other a message, delete it both and try to follow the link in the notifcation table then. If you dont get to the message, then it should be permanently deleted. bye Eg

• Like 1

Unless the cops ask the ISP to retain the data, in which case everything is kept. Providing the data hasn't been deleted prior to their request.

There was a media release about it from the commonwealth attorney generals dept last week.

Yes, that for sure. As a general rule of thumb, i´d recommend people not to discuss illegal things in pm´s. Best would surely be not to do anything illegal to begin with. :wink: But i doubt it would even be necessary to ask the ISP for the data. Im sure police has a paid hacker squad who can hack into any server or home-pc. I know people who write Appz for police authorities and they said that every pc´s has backdoors that are intentionally kept secret so they can always find a way to get into the pc´s. But its time expensive and they dont do that for peanut bullshit as those guys have so much work on their hands they need to focus on something timeworthy. bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

as far as the database is concerned, msgs are deleted when both parties delete them. this is obvious because the message database entry is the same for both parties viewing the message. The red X means that the other party has deleted it.

obviously LE can force ISPs to store whatever they want. and before anyone asks that everything is encrypted, keep in mind that in most states the penalties for not providing your encryption password when court ordered to do so will earn you up to 15 years jail.