The Corroboree
tripsis

Good station wagons.

VX wagons have horrible body roll, I'd happily have another VN, but their a bit old now. Tough as engine and gear box in them. Commadore wagons go well offroad too if u r willing to do wat u need to do to them. They will make it alot of unexpected places. I still can't believe sum of the places I got the VN, my mate did a flood water Xing in his, tarp strapped to the front and water coming over the bonnet and it didn't fail once. The only improvment IMO from the older models is the headlights, drink holders and the cd player and thats it. The seats are not as comfy as the VN's either, Lots of room to sleep in, even for 2 and can carry heaps of shit in them.

What do you mean by a body roll naja?

Yeah, I Googled it afterwards. Should have just done that in the first place. Does that means it's actually more likely to roll?

Does that means it's actually more likely to roll?

Nar not really it just means the suspension is set up differently. I suppose if you plan on paddock bashing it then yes...

Personally if it's a station wagon I really have to agree with FancyPants and say a subaru outback. Not exactly sure about pricing but I know my old one i used to have was insured for about 7 grand so wouldnt be worth much more than that.

They have subaru's "All-wheel-drive" which isn't quite as strong as your standard 4WD but is constantly engaged 100% of the time.

And man I treated that thing badly, it really took a beating and was constantly carting massive loads of all sorts of random stuff around, masses of old palm fronds to the tip, loads of compost, hundreds of kilo's of firewood, etc.

Never ONCE let me down.

not really, it will grip less on corners as tyres unload (have weight off them)

I just got a 2007 Falcon wagon, 110,000. I'm happy with it so far. its big and drives nice enough. one thing I do note when I drive it ( normally drive a different car)... 'hmmm,, this is a boring car... " but like I said, it does what I need it to.

Anyone know whether Citroen C5s or Peugot 307s are any good? They are both diesel station wagons. Even if they are good, I presume parts would not be cheap?

Edit: Also, does anyone know what sort of fuel efficiency a 1991 Toyota Hilux Surf SSR-X (diesel) has?

Edited by tripsis

If we ever go camping, I can tell you the scariest horror stories about post-70s Citroens. Utterly terrifying! To say that parts are expensive is an understatement. (I know a woman who found it more cost effective to sell her 5 year old Citroen for peanuts than replace the cracked windscreen.)

I have a Holden cross 6 crewman ute. It is a constant all wheel drive and has more ground clearance than a standard ute. I get 14/100 km around town and 11 to 12/100km on country runs. It is V6 and it drives really well I have had it for 3 years with no real problems

You can get the same thing in a wagon called an adventra which I would think ticks all of your boxes

I suppose it just depends on how much you won’t to spend

Be careful of old diesels if you need to rebuild a diesel engine it could cost you as much as you paid for the car

Red Book

Cheers

Got

Edited by GoOnThen

Hmmm, fair enough Marcel. How about parts for Peugots?

I think until we actually travel around Aus, getting a 4WD now will just be an expensive car to run. Even 14l/100km or 12l/100lm is pretty expensive for a car that will mostly just be driven in urbanised areas and only occasionally taken out bush.

I had a VR Commodore wagon on gas that got over 500000kms and still ran like a dream. Just ended up getting rid of it when the brakes, steering and suspension all got a bit too sloppy. Was a great car for me and very good on fuel.

I'd steer clear of the 2.4 turbo diesel Toyota Surf. I had one and they're so gutless its not funny, not great on fuel either. I hear the later 3litre turbo diesel is a whole lot better.

The Surf was a very nice comfortable car though and very capable off road.

Edited by Shroomeup

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1997-Mitsubishi-Delica-SPACEGEAR-2-8T-DIESEL-JASPER-/140568388705?pt=AU_Cars&hash=item20ba876461

Not sure what you're budget is, but these are one of the preferred off road/camping vehicles here in North Queensland. If regularly serviced they will last the test of time.

4WD, Diesel, low K's but most are auto.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2YX5kU45Cs

Edited by muskrat

I've been thinking about Delicas. Do you know what the fuel efficiency is like muskrat?

Unfortunately I don't at this point but I can sus it out for you. I know a few people who own them & I haven't heard anything negative said about them. I am seriously thinking about getting one of these myself.

From what I can tell so far reading online they get around 10-12L per 100K's.

Edited by muskrat

Seems there's a fair bit of very dodgy business surrounding Delicas when they're being imported, such as changed the odometer reading. Too much research needed to know that you're getting a real low kilometer car (such as obtaining the original auction papers, etc.).

Anyone have any comments on whether Subaru Foresters are good/reliable?

Anyone have any comments on whether Subaru Foresters are good/reliable?

Almost exactly the same as the outbacks I believe but with a slightly stronger and higher suspension for more hardcore off-roading.

do you really need a 4wd mate? i mean most doofers get buy with 2wd cars.

In that case you wouldn't go past a camry wagon i recon.

Well, no, at this stage I don't need one, but it would be preferable. When I finally do the trip around Australia, I'll be wanting a Landcruiser.

Looked at one Camry wagon so far. I reckon they'd be a good car, but the seats don't fold down very flat, so sleeping in it (when necessary) would be a bitch. Corollas are good, but there's no dirt cheap ones out there. Commodores seem to be the way to go for a cheap wagon if AWD isn't necessary.