The Corroboree
mr b.caapi

The powers of Stilnox

I saw this when it was on tv, great story. I couldn't believe the difficulty they had getting a script! I mean FFS, what did he have to lose?

Pretty amazing when he "woke up", to think he could have been sent away to a care facility and left there to die, because they thought he had no idea what was happening.

All he needed was a drug:

"I've been trapped in my own body"

and how do you feel now?

"I feel fucking great!"

you feel great?

"I feel FUCKING great!"

classic:)

Man, to think he appeared to be a vegetable only a few minutes earlier. Even the doctors said he was. Imagine how many people in a similar situation have been abandoned and left to rot. Zolpidem should be standard therapy in these situations, it might only work for a very few patients, but it would be literally life changing for them. Again, what have they to lose by trying it?

Very, very heart wrenching as the drug started wearing off. I can't even imagine how terrifying that must be for him.

Also interesting to note that 10 mg did nothing, whereas 15 mg did everything.

Edited by Alice

damn,..... region protected!

touching story, to me it looks like some neruo overload, straining the system/muscles, possibly affecting bloodflow in the brain... they shouldn't stop there with stilnox and explore more powerful hypnotics.

10mg didn't do nothing, it just didn't allow speech.

i'd think upto 30mg should still be quite safe.

Edited by C_T

what a ferkin tear jerker ! Thats amazing ! And hats off to the family... if they had have blindly accepted 95% of the medical advice given they would never had tried the stillnox ! what an amazing fiancee too... that there is true love ! why are you after a text version zen ped ? are you deaf ?

that was a mind blowing story.

it was amazing how such a drug can have such a massive impact on the brain.

at the same time.. i find its so weird.

the human brain is no doubt a powerful tool with yet untapped potentials we cant even comprehend.

i occasionally think and wonder.. what happens when your in such a state unable to talk and you hear a nurse or doctor telling your family members , loved ones etc that no you will prob never walk / talk / or your perm brain damaged and yet your consciously aware and understand on a intellect level and you want to open your mouth and shout " NO your wrong and full of shit" ... but you cannot......only to just lie there not being about to move and respond..

must be frustrating as hell!

Edited by 7baz

absolutely heart rendering. i hope further research can offer a more permanant solution, amazing result nonetheless.

i occasionally think and wonder.. what happens when your in such a state unable to talk and you hear a nurse or doctor telling your family members , loved ones etc that no you will prob never walk / talk / or your perm brain damaged and yet your consciously aware and understand on a intellect level and you want to open your mouth and shout " NO your wrong and full of shit" ... but you cannot......only to just lie there not being about to move and respond..

must be frustrating as hell!

now imagine your in that state and you hear these words from the doc to your family "It's time to turn off his life support, there is no hope" and you can't do a thing about it...

yea that was totally amazing, saw the 60 minutes story and it was incredible. one thing is for sure even though the man may have been pre disposed somehow im glad i have always hated soccer, to me it isnt a very beautiful game if you gotta hit a ball with your noggin, pretty damn ugly to me...the game that is.

seems as if they theorised that with brain damage the brain de-activates parts of the brain as it goes into self preservation mode but somehow the stillnox re-activates it. its amazing that we have mapped more of the physical universe that surrounds us than we have mapped and actually understand our own grey matter.

I would love to be able to have a chat with this guy when in his most cognitive state. I could only imagine the horror he must face each time the drug begins to wear off but I would love to know what his consciousness is doing when it looks to us like it is shut down. Is it? He obviously can not communicate with this world but I wonder if he is in another one...is he alone? He could have some amazing tales to tell or nothing at all. What a remarkable accidental discovery. I hope that we see many more awakenings and who knows, maybe more.

This story is fu$k*ng amazing, made me cry (something i'm not prone to at all)

My mother was prescribed stillnox once and, like the horror stories, she too had her own horror story whilst on it.(delirium and chronic hallucinations for 3-4 days)

After watching this story, i now know that without a doubt it was the stillnox that caused my mothers temporary situation..

Stillnox.....the new wonder-drug? I think the pharma companies should be throwing a lot more into this, and perhaps after more miracle stories like this they will!

Just what exactly does zolpidem tartrate do to our brains?

Like Santiago said we know so much about our physical world, but so little about the space we experience and interpret that physical world through.

I'm a big fan of science, but it seems yet again that it's method, which only deals with the tangible and quantifiable, has left us behind the 8-ball when it comes to our noggins!

All I know is, Ralph Clauss has also done studies investigating the efects of other z-drugs for antidormative behaviour and zolpidem has been the only one that shows this effect. So it seems it's antidormative effect may be due to a structure-activity completely unrelated to its GABA subunit activity. Very interesting!