The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
omsource

Fruiting Chambers

Just checking in with what all you mycophiles are using as fruiting chambers.

I've tried the Martha but my cheap ass plastic greenhouse collapsed the first night

and the ShotGun terrarium as well as a slight modification on it.

Both times my oyster mushrooms don't get enough fresh air exchange and

end up long and stringy, with no real caps....A common problem with oysters, especially the Phoenix species.

At the moment I'm just fruiting them on the kitchen counter, they crop well the

first few flushes and then stall out, I'm planning on dunking them after the second flush to

get some moisture back into the substrate.

What are you guys using as terrariums?

OmSource

• Like 1

Shotgun terrarium for the win! I wonder why yours were long and stringy. How often did you fan and for how long did you fan?

I also picked up some mushroom boxes from Bunnings to try them out and to make cheap prints and petri dishes and they did really well with the casing layer that came with it. They were not in a terrarium or something. It sat on the kitchen floor. I'm so over portabello mushrooms now though as I ate too many one night but I don't think they're the greatest. Shiitake are great though!

Hey guys, I use monotubs usually with the holes filled on each side with tyvek. Only problem I had with this is that the bulk substrate level must be at the same level as the holes otherwise FAE is hindered due to the Carbon dioxide being heavier than air. For P. ostreatus I just fruit them from the bag normally. Its normal for the fruiting culture to crap out after a few flushes (my third flushed start looking a bit iffy and the fruits are few and less meaty). If you want to fruit them in open air then make sure your spraying regularly to keep the substrate moisture levels up. The first couple times I tried to grow mushrooms they stalled out and contam'd during bulk colonisation....lesson learnt, Mycelium need air exchange when colonising substrates :rolleyes:. Also, I tried shotgun FC but it required alot of maintainence and resources (Perlite +spraying time). In addition its not sterile, theres more chance of a contam in a shotgun FC than a completely sealed chamber. For Pleurotus sp. though the shotgun is definitely the way to go, they require more FAE in my experience, anyone else find this?

Whatcha talking about migraineur I looooovvvveee Portabellos, pity I haven't gotten my hands on the culture/had time to innoculate some more jars.

Anyways, happy myco endeavors!

I use an automated mini greenhouse. Ultrasonic fogger in a bucket, with a fan on top, blowing in the humidified air through PVC pipes into the greenhouse. A fan down the bottom too. would probably change the fan for a stronger one and make some adjustments to the piping next time I set it up, but it's fine for oysters, ample FAE, etc.

I use an automated mini greenhouse. Ultrasonic fogger in a bucket, with a fan on top, blowing in the humidified air through PVC pipes into the greenhouse. A fan down the bottom too. would probably change the fan for a stronger one and make some adjustments to the piping next time I set it up, but it's fine for oysters, ample FAE, etc.

Tripsis...does this system run on a timer? How long on? How long off?

I haven't yet got a hold of a fogger (any links?) so at the moment my fan comes on for 15 mins (smallest increment on the timer) every two hours. The 100mm fan dries out the blocks AND it's not enough FAE, I still have leggy shrooms. So it's lose lose.

I can't find a timer to do 1 minute on, 9 minutes off, 6 times an hour. Stamets suggests Phoenix need 6 FAEs per hour.

It does. I can't recall what I did, it's been a while since it was set up. Same problem as you, could only find a timer with 15 minute increments. I think I did 15 mins every hour, maybe every two.

No links to the fogger I use, the place I bought it from has closed down.

Ahh the ShotGun terrarium is just too much work for me, what with the fanning and misting 6x plus a day.

Tripsis whereabouts did you score your greenhouse?

I love the Martha idea, tons of space and fully automated but I can't find

a decent greenhouse for a reasonable price!

I could build one but woods not the best material.

Bunnings sells them. I use the 4-tier ones.

ah yep, overfilled that one and it bent to shit

:lol:

What did you stick in it?

I'm setting up a fruiting chamber at the moment.

here's a few pic's

DSCF3417%25252005-01-2011.JPG

I have added another level since this photo

DSCF3452%25252005-30-2011.JPG

here's what it looks like now.

I'm going be using 3 litre fetta buckets (with holes) to fruit my mushrooms.

the next step is the ultra sonic fogger bucket bong setup LOL.

check this out might want to skip the flowhood setup part at the start of the vid (that set up is awesome also) Nice grow room!

I like the inline fan in the tubing.

:lol:

What did you stick in it?

Haha, loaded it to the gills :unsure:

probably not wise when using a cheapo bunnings purchase

I'm setting up a fruiting chamber at the moment.

here's a few pic's

DSCF3417%25252005-01-2011.JPG

I have added another level since this photo

DSCF3452%25252005-30-2011.JPG

here's what it looks like now.

I'm going be using 3 litre fetta buckets (with holes) to fruit my mushrooms.

the next step is the ultra sonic fogger bucket bong setup LOL.

check this out might want to skip the flowhood setup part at the start of the vid (that set up is awesome also) Nice grow room!

I like the inline fan in the tubing.

Ingenious!

gotta love milk crates!

Hey guys, I use monotubs usually with the holes filled on each side with tyvek. Only problem I had with this is that the bulk substrate level must be at the same level as the holes otherwise FAE is hindered due to the Carbon dioxide being heavier than air. For P. ostreatus I just fruit them from the bag normally. Its normal for the fruiting culture to crap out after a few flushes (my third flushed start looking a bit iffy and the fruits are few and less meaty). If you want to fruit them in open air then make sure your spraying regularly to keep the substrate moisture levels up. The first couple times I tried to grow mushrooms they stalled out and contam'd during bulk colonisation....lesson learnt, Mycelium need air exchange when colonising substrates :rolleyes:. Also, I tried shotgun FC but it required alot of maintainence and resources (Perlite +spraying time). In addition its not sterile, theres more chance of a contam in a shotgun FC than a completely sealed chamber. For Pleurotus sp. though the shotgun is definitely the way to go, they require more FAE in my experience, anyone else find this?

Whatcha talking about migraineur I looooovvvveee Portabellos, pity I haven't gotten my hands on the culture/had time to innoculate some more jars.

Anyways, happy myco endeavors!

I have no issues with a shot gun terrarium in regards with sterility. Unless you're growing your mushrooms in a chamber that uses HEPA filters then you're gonna be using normal air. Furthermore, a big bag of perlite is cheap and can be used over and over again. Spraying time and misting can be a bitch but you can get away with doing it three times a day. It doesn't take much time anyway but if you were growing heaps of mushrooms then it might get annoying. If you use coir then it will retain a lot of moisture and you won't need a casing layer but not every species likes coir.

If you want some cultures then Bunnings sells kits from time to time which makes it easy to get a culture. I think my portabello kit cost $15 last year. Another reason why I gave up on portabellos is that I'd rather use my resources on the more expensive and less common mushrooms like shiitake etc. I also got a cordyceps militaris culture from someone that I'd like to use.

I need to get around to setting up a martha. I have a greenhouse and humidifier but I have done nothing with them yet. I got this humidifier:

http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/eurolab-ultrasonic-humidifier-5-litres-capacity/?gclid=CN6w34LFtakCFQrhbgodCTPCKw

The cool thing about it is the white cap thing at the top where the mist comes out can be taken off easily and you can place tubing in there easily without modifications. The white cap can also twist so you can aim the mist in different directions but it would probably be better taking it off.

I need to get around to setting up a martha. I have a greenhouse and humidifier but I have done nothing with them yet. I got this humidifier:

http://www.dealsdire...CFQrhbgodCTPCKw

The cool thing about it is the white cap thing at the top where the mist comes out can be taken off easily and you can place tubing in there easily without modifications. The white cap can also twist so you can aim the mist in different directions but it would probably be better taking it off.

migraneur: I've got a similar one to that. Same concept really, just a different panel on the front. Mine is a bit more fancy, which, is a bit of a problem. It's got electric buttons and a built in turn off timer, which is useful. But the electric buttons aren't, it means I can't run it on a timer. When the timer turns on the mister is on, just in idle. It needs a physical button press to make it mist. The one you have doesn't have that. I'm spewing they are out of stock or I would have pounced and bought a second one.

I'm still very keen to avoid fanning, which is why I bought one of these: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/eziAIR-100MM-LINE-HYDROPONIC-FAN-240V-21W-/280571959784?pt=AU_Seed_Starting_Hydroponics&hash=item41536459e8

Although, maybe i should have got a 90mm version. 90mm plumbers pipe seems substantially cheaper than 100mm.

But I cannot find a timer to control it (1 min on, ten minutes off). Any suggestions welcomed!

migraineur, I spawn to bulk in front of a HEPA, the inside of the tub is sterile, well not if you pasteurize because of the beneficial microbes still present but yea pretty close to it. I've tried both an I gotta say im a convert...dont even need marthas or fanning, the tyvek allows the sterile air exchange but I guess sterilisation is broken when you open it up to harvest/dunk. I use Coir+Hpoo+verm mixes so it holds moisture really well but oysters just dont seem to do that well in it :innocent_n:. Yea I've seen those cultures around but I'll probably just make an LC and clone a supermarket specimen :).

I'd love a flow hood but I don't come across any well priced secondhand ones in Western Australia. Occasionally good secondhand ones are available in the eastern states of Australia but they are snapped up quickly or people won't ship them to W.A.. I just spawn to bulk in a room I've cleaned by spraying 10% bleach solution around the place, spraying Glen 20 into the air and using rubbing alcohol. I do everything else inside my glove box though. It's a bitch using a glove box though.

By the way, guys. Where is a good place to get plastic tubing from that I can use to connect a humidifier to a greenhouse?

The PVC piping I use is available from any hardware store.

When i was fruiting in chambers i had a laptp fan circulating the air, a ceramic disk fogger & mains tap water fogger all controlled down to the second by a dead (busted screen) laptop my son donated & set up for me. I ended up with usb cords everywhere.

When i was fruiting in chambers i had a laptp fan circulating the air, a ceramic disk fogger & mains tap water fogger all controlled down to the second by a dead (busted screen) laptop my son donated & set up for me. I ended up with usb cords everywhere.

Hey shortly...I think I've got an old laptop in a cupboard somewhere, but I'd love to know what program he used to turn things on and off via USB. Would you mind asking him how he did it? Or what did it?

Edited by NSF