The Corroboree
Torsten

When NOT to use the report function

We encourage members to use the report function for anything from abuse to spam or even just to draw our attention to situations that might result in abuse or spam. This has been working well with over 30 members regularly making use of the feature. It has made us an unattractive target for spammers and it means mods can usually get involved in a thread before it gets out of control.

THANK YOU!

However, a few people think the report function is for their own convenience and entertainment. making an accidental double post is NOT worthy of a report. Neither is asking for cultivation information, help with forum functionality, or other non-critical issues. It is certainly not a justified process for letting me know that it is someone's birthday, FFS.

The report function is set up so that it is treated with the highest degree of priority. Spammers only need to have their posts up for a few hours to get what they want [google listing], so rapid response is absolutely essential. When I am near my email or get a notification on my phone I drop everything and immediately deal with the report. So you can imagine how some of the above scenarios impress me.

For several dozens of valid reports [including the vague and borderline ones which I appreciate just as much as the solid ones] we only get the odd moron report, so the system is definitely working VERY well. However, from now on I am giving one week suspensions to anyone who is clearly abusing the system.

Please don't let this discourage you though. If you should ever find yourself suspended and you feel you did not deserve it please let me know as sometimes it is easy to miss the point of the report.

The first suspension goes to the guy who reported the birthday. It doesn't take much brains to know that's just fucked.

• Like 4

...NOT worthy of a report. Neither is asking for cultivation information
This one left me scratching my head a bit, perhaps because its vague.

Are you meaning to say 'dont report people for asking how to plant a morning glory seed rather than using google' or does this include 'do not report people for asking how to grow marijuana outdoors in sydney'?

I think I actually once reported someone for the latter :lol:

...so, if the latter, should we report or just leave it for the mods to find in their ordinary forum rounds?

I think he means not to use the report function and ask questions in the details screen on how to grow stuff etc, as if its some sort of private customer service hotline. I can't believe people would do shit like this, but it takes all types to make the world go round I suppose.

I have used such function on other forums for serial spamming cases, and wondering if its about spam, or even self incrimination, then you don't really need a field to explain why your making the report, the mods will look at the thread properly I would think, before making deletions.

The first suspension goes to the guy who reported the birthday. It doesn't take much brains to know that's just fucked.

:lol:

I think he means not to use the report function and ask questions in the details screen on how to grow stuff etc, as if its some sort of private customer service hotline. I can't believe people would do shit like this, but it takes all types to make the world go round I suppose.

I have used such function on other forums for serial spamming cases, and wondering if its about spam, or even self incrimination, then you don't really need a field to explain why your making the report, the mods will look at the thread properly I would think, before making deletions.

Yeah, that's what I assumed he meant. I don't know if people are just stupid or selfish. If it's the latter, then they must also be the former, because only a moron would think they'd actually get help that way.

The problem with having no field is that the field can save time if, say, there is abuse in a long post. If Torsten's dropping everything to deal with reports, it needs to be as streamlined as possible to make it easier for him to deal with it quickly. Also, I don't know how the person/people went about it, but I would have assumed they reported their own post with the cultivation question in it, and in the case of reporting the birthday, I'm assuming they reported the actual birthday post. Removing the text field would not prevent this sort of abuse.

Considering that this has happened multiple times, I'm surprised you haven't dealt with it sooner. Geez, you must be more patient than I.

ur just getting plain mean in ur old age! :lol:

fair call though, but yeah maybee the person didnt know the full implication?

glad i didnt know the report button existed!

I wonder if the software allows the report page to be edited? Perhaps a warning in large boldface red type above the input field would get the message across. (Actually, I can't remember what the page looks like and don't want to press the report button to take a look in case I accidentally send an erroneous report :unsure:. Perhaps there already IS a warning.)

Psylo is right that the members used the report function to then ask me a direct question about cultivation information. Usually in no way related to the thread. Sorry if that was unclear in my initial post.

I really don't think anyone who has the welfare of the forums at heart is going to get the report feature wrong, so I don't want to alarm anyone. These sorts of things are done by selfish people, which are luckily few and far between in this community.

ballzac - te problem with edits to any part of the software is that they need to be redone with every upgrade. That's why i avoid them where possible.

I also like to have the text function there because it does help a lot. Often there isn't a single post that indicates where a thread is going, so members will pick any post and then write a general comment about the thread so I now what to look for. This avoids situations where one member is getting into trouble while the one baiting him didn't.

Bottom line is that the report system works EXTREMELY well. The very few abuses can be separated into naivety [internet noobs who don't know better], wasted members and selfish/stupid members. It is usually pretty easy to work out which one of these fits. While I look the other way with noobs, the rest really needs to deal with the consequences of their actions just like I have to deal with the consequences of those actions.

ballzac, you can click report once without consequence. you get a screen to enter comments and then you get the option to submit. nothing happens before you submit.

I just had a look and it clearly states:

Please note: The moderator will be made aware of the link to the page you are reporting.

This form is to be used ONLY for reporting objectionable content and is not to be used as a method of communicating with moderators for other reasons.

I think that should really be enough.

LOL Torsten, this thread was a good laugh. I love reading about people doing unpredictable and crazy things. Reminds me of dumb emergency calls.

It took me a few minutes just to find the report button... I don't believe i've ever pressed it.

I dare someone to report post #1 of this thread :) :) :) Guessing it'll be the last action you take here LOL

is there an option for reporting a "bitchin" post?

jesus titty fucking christ. some faggots are so cock sucking stupid, they dont know what is report worthy. see yáll in a week :)

where are the negger happy clowns when the boss is watching? only took a few minutes to neg my posts in the budget thread.

Edited by rogdog