The Corroboree
eLwAd

Anti-inflammatory herbs

Hey guys, after a bit of help from the community.

wife has just given birth and needs some anti-inflammatories but is allergic in a major way to the nurofen/brufen drug group. is there anything out there which can be used in place of these synthetic chemicals. thought someone out there might know something.

thanks in advance

No help here, Congratulations

Well aspirin has anti-inflammatory properties if there is little luck with herbs, but depending on how recent birth was you may not want the anti platelet aggregation effect. Though this isn't particularly natural. I don't really know much about the effects/contraindications of willow bark extract but that contains the natural precursor to aspirin. Perhaps it could be of use? Someone else will probably have more information

There are lot of mild anti inflammatory herbs, but they are usually quite specific to a tissue type or an organ. is the inflamamtion due to the birth or elsewhere? is it more about the pain killing effect or about the reduction in swelling? is she breastfeeding [this is a major limitation so very important]?

portulaca oleracea might be ok for this

thanks for the quick response, torsten yeah it's directly birth related and she is breastfeeding, should have put that in the OP,sorry. i know that will limit the applications available.

archaea, will portulaca oleracea work as a juice or eaten/brewed? will continue to search too. thanks guys

comfrey is meant to be good for bumps, strains and bruises apply the herb to the place of grief i would not suggest any internal or oral consumption without study..

i have similiar reactions to nurofen etc, it races my heart, i live in pain daily from multiple gunshot wounds and i found voltaren works wonders, maybe this good substitute for the nurofen..

Also here a list of anti inflammatory herbs i found on google from some Dr site:-

Turmeric (Curcuma longa): Turmeric accounts for the yellow color of curry and American mustard and has a distinctive sharp flavor. I recommend turmeric for all inflammatory disorders, including arthritis, tendonitis, and auto immune conditions. Take 400 to 600 milligrams of turmeric extracts (available in tablets or capsules) three times per day or as directed on the product label. Whole turmeric is more effective than isolated curcumin, its major constituent. Look for products standardized for 95% curcuminoids. Be patient: the full benefit takes two months to develop. Don't use turmeric if you have gallstones or bile duct dysfunction. Pregnant women shouldn't use it without their doctors' approval. In rare cases, extended use can cause stomach upset or heartburn.

Ginger: Powdered dry ginger is an excellent anti-inflammatory. Take one to two capsules (500 to 1,000 mg) twice a day with food. As with turmeric, you won't get the full effect for two months.

Boswellin: This is the extract of the herb Boswellia, used in Ayurvedic medicine and available in capsule form. It may be useful for generalized inflammatory conditions such as fibromyalgia. The dosage is two capsules twice a day unless the product label directs differently.

Edited by applesnail

Perhaps you could ask Anke at herbology, she will definitely be able to help.

Www.herbology.com.au

I found tumeric actually didnt help that much. Ginger dulls pain but the inflammation remains so Im inclined to think of it more as a pain killer than an anti-inflammatory.

Ashwaghanda works ok - seems to have a better anti-inflammatory effect for me.

Plants are potentially a good option but consider high-dose fish oil (preferably not flaxseed oil). 10mL of molecularly distilled (prevent trace Hg) fish oil or concentrate, maybe twice daily. Generally considered safe during breastfeeding - likely beneficial for the child - but talk to your GP before you start if you can. It'll take a little while to work, so be patient.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-inflammatory

"Herbs

In addition to medical drugs, some herbs may have anti-inflammatory qualities, including Harpagophytum, hyssop, ginger, Turmeric, Arnica montana, which contains helenalin, a sesquiterpene lactone, and willow bark, which contains salicylic acid, the active ingredient in aspirin. Cannabichromene, one of the many cannabinoids present in the cannabis plant, has been shown to reduce inflammation.[15]"

Funny how sources getting info wrong on both willow bark and aspirin is still the default.

...I hadnt heard about hyssop for inflammation except perhaps as a poultice for sores n stuff, its even said to irritate and inflame mucous membranes, wiki gave no references. Anyone used it for inflammation?

Sinicuiche Herb is good for anti-inflammatory properties..

depending on what the issue is (swollen lips = Smoking Herb and holding in mouth without inhaling, fixes the issue for atleast an hour. If its more of a swollen body part, i usually do a small extraction (same as making tea) until there is no water and just some sticky stuff, this is then mixxed with a very small amount of IPA to be mixxed onto the skin as needed..

If anyone has any experience making extractions/tinctures out of sinich, please, PM me some details, i really like this herb :)

Edit~ Contrary to what most people say, Tea is not the way to go with this Herb if your using it for medicinal reasons, The only reason for this is because alot of the side effects become alot more pronounced and someone who is using this for medicinal reasons does not want their muscles tensing half way through the night and their stomach feeling like they got punched by mike tie.

Its not a very well studied herb, so, smoking it/drinking it would be out of the question for your better half since she will be feeding.

But, if she does smoke/drink it, tell her to be prepared for the most yellow sunrise she has ever seen :)

Congratz on the lil one!! :)

Edited by FungiFriend