The Corroboree
basalamant

Psychadelic music recs?

Thanks, Thunder. :innocent_n:

425ee03ae7a00828bcb62210.L.jpg

Really experimental jazz from 1970. I highly recommended it. :wink:

Synchro, you just made my day. I grew up listening to Soft Machine and Robert Wyatt. In fact, my dad told me one drunken evening, that I was conceived to the sounds of Soft Machine 7.... My poor mother.

haha, this is a fuckin monster

I think everyone reading this thread should stop what they are doing and play their favourite psy track, whateva genre, as loud as possible! I call it neighbourhood music appreciation :lol:

Hahaha :) I like your thinking Kalika :) & nice track btw haven't listened to Sun Control Species before.

Neelix - Senses

One of my long time favourites, which is sounding pretty good on my speakers right now :lol:

Does anyone else think that people's interpretation of what can be considered psychedelic music has been skewed ? As a single example, and without offending your choice of music, qualia, but I'm struggling to see how some of your posts are even remotely psychedelic. Same too with other people's, so Im not singling you out at all.

For me, it's the conventional interpretation of the movement. Gong, 13th Floor Elevators, Santana, the first few Floyd albums. And really the only modern artists worthy of being spoken of in the spirit of the term and the 'psych' emotions conveyed in their art are Shulman, Ott, Phutureprimitive, Shpongle etc. This high-energy acid or trance is really not even close to what 'psychedelic music' is all about. Which is lighting up, doing acid, chilling back and cruising with some smooth tasty jams.

, qualia, but I'm struggling to see how some of your posts are even remotely psychedelic.

hahahaaaaa, reminds me of an old timothy leary quote "what do you turn on, when you turn on"

Funny you should say that , as I'm presently reading a Timothy Leary biography. Man, what an embarrassment to himself and the memory of the psychedelic '60's. For all his showboating and heroics, he really was quite a coward.

Just on my last comment, I should also include the modern artists of today doing a more 'traditional' psychedelic that's not electronica sound like Tame Impala (psy rock), Cloud Control (psy folk) and White Demin (psy hard, heavy rock).

Does anyone else think that people's interpretation of what can be considered psychedelic music has been skewed ? As a single example, and without offending your choice of music, qualia, but I'm struggling to see how some of your posts are even remotely psychedelic. Same too with other people's, so Im not singling you out at all.

For me, it's the conventional interpretation of the movement. Gong, 13th Floor Elevators, Santana, the first few Floyd albums. And really the only modern artists worthy of being spoken of in the spirit of the term and the 'psych' emotions conveyed in their art are Shulman, Ott, Phutureprimitive, Shpongle etc. This high-energy acid or trance is really not even close to what 'psychedelic music' is all about. Which is lighting up, doing acid, chilling back and cruising with some smooth tasty jams.

meh, i guess psychedelia is in the eye of the beholder. in simplified terms i think something is psychedelic if it goes with acid or resembles an acid trip. admittedly that varies quite a lot from person to person. i honestly think dark psy is the best sound you can add to a trip, it really makes things happen in my head, and it is comparitively very energised music.

on some level everything is psychedelic, it has nothing to do with what people in the sixties determined was psychedelic although they definitely had a bit of an idea!

edit: thread title is misspelled. i put an A in psychedelic for ages. any ideas on whether it is supposed to be pronounced ps-kee-delic perhaps?

Edited by ThunderIdeal

in simplified terms i think something is psychedelic if it goes with acid or resembles an acid trip

I would say for me psychedelic music is music that is inspired by the psychedelic experience generally, not necessarily just LSD - although I understand why you say this as LSD has probably been the most influential psychedelic in the contemporary music scene. It's great to listen to a track and 'feel' the psychedelic state of mind through the music - music can be a very powerful tool for conveying ideas that are otherwise ineffable.

on some level everything is psychedelic

most definitely :)

Neelix - Senses

One of my long time favourites, which is sounding pretty good on my speakers right now :lol:

yeah I saw neelix for the first time at rainbow serpent, and liked what I heard :)

I think "psychedelic music" is a pretty broad term open to personal choice.

If you want something meant for psychedelic times, try the following CD, Essential Trip; Trip to Innerself, by a Russian dude from the "Monoxide" dude. Crystal clear sounds, full immersion into the sound. Laying on my memory foam bed, I backsurfed over the sound waves, flooded with the memories of childhood trips to beaches leading to thoughts of other euphoric childhood memories. Good times.

Psylo Dread, i'd have to disagree with your post, and agree with the "eye of the beholder comment" those kinds of comments just remind me of elitism, ie, there was no better music than the originals, beatles, stones, dylan, doors, etc etc etc, all other music especially modern music is absolute shit and if you like it you're wrong. some people actually think this, young and old people, deluded people..

there are many varying styles new and old that can be considered psychedelic, i'd have to disagree with someone calling the likes of black eyed peas or lady gaga, or something in that vain psychedelic (in the unlikely scenario that someone did say those things..) but you cant really disregard "art" as not being something just because you dont think it is.

i'd have to say that if you dont think this is psychedelic than um..

one could argue that this music, plus the visuals attached in this video are actually designed for the altered state, if you dont want to believe that than believe that the creator of the video got the idea when he was on acid and tried to recreate his vision.

Double Post

Edited by Psylo Dread

Psylo Dread, i'd have to disagree with your post, and agree with the "eye of the beholder comment" those kinds of comments just remind me of elitism, ie, there was no better music than the originals, beatles, stones, dylan, doors, etc etc etc, all other music especially modern music is absolute shit and if you like it you're wrong. some people actually think this, young and old people, deluded people..

`

And how on earth you think Gong, 13th Floor Elevators, Santana and early Floyd are somehow in the same boat (actually even in the same lake) as The Doors, the Stones or Bob Dylan is just utterly perplexing. We're not talking "classic hits of the late 60's" compilations from Kmart here.

Here's a novel thought. Before you get your panties into a knot over comments, how about reading fully before you post a response in an attempt to deride another member. You will observe that I only mentioned FOUR bands of times gone by, yet SEVEN, count em, of bands that have released albums in the past 10 years. You accusations are nothing at all towards what my statement was about. Maybe you could stop making shit up and presenting me as saying something I'm not.

I'm going to play some Justin Beiber, then some ACDC, while I'm stoned, get out the hula hoop and proclaim to the world how utterly psychedelic this music is. Seems anything goes.

`

And how on earth you think Gong, 13th Floor Elevators, Santana and early Floyd are somehow in the same boat (actually even in the same lake) as The Doors, the Stones or Bob Dylan is just utterly perplexing. We're not talking "classic hits of the late 60's" compilations from Kmart here.

Here's a novel thought. Before you get your panties into a knot over comments, how about reading fully before you post a response in an attempt to deride another member. You will observe that I only mentioned FOUR bands of times gone by, yet SEVEN, count em, of bands that have released albums in the past 10 years. You accusations are nothing at all towards what my statement was about. Maybe you could stop making shit up and presenting me as saying something I'm not.

I'm going to play some Justin Beiber, then some ACDC, while I'm stoned, get out the hula hoop and proclaim to the world how utterly psychedelic this music is. Seems anything goes.

dude i read your post, you misinterpret what i'm saying. if you notice i wrote "those kinds of comments just remind me of elitism, ie, there was no better music than the originals, beatles, stones, dylan, doors, etc etc etc, all other music especially modern music is absolute shit and if you like it you're wrong. some people actually think this, young and old people, deluded people.."

ie

those kinds of comments - For me, it's the conventional interpretation of the movement. Gong, 13th Floor Elevators, Santana, the first few Floyd albums. And really the only modern artists worthy of being spoken of in the spirit of the term and the 'psych' emotions conveyed in their art are Shulman, Ott, Phutureprimitive, Shpongle etc. This high-energy acid or trance is really not even close to what 'psychedelic music' is all about. Which is lighting up, doing acid, chilling back and cruising with some smooth tasty jams. -

remind me of elitism

ie

an example of elitism that this reminds me of, but is not the same as.. someone who thinks that.. - there was no better music than the originals, beatles, stones, dylan, doors, etc etc etc, all other music especially modern music is absolute shit and if you like it you're wrong. -

can you see what i'm trying to say?

i'm not trying to say that this is you, i'm not trying to say you are an elitist, i'm just trying to point out that that kind of thinking, ie, only a certain set of artists = psychedelic/ only a certain set of artists = real music, is a bit narrow minded, maybe that's your opinion, but that opinion does not equal fact, art is open to interpretation, and i think that if you try to say that art is a certain thing and not something else, then you're forgetting that art cant really be defined by a certain set of rules.

Interpretation can only go so far when describing 'psychedelic music'. Even your own post boldly proclaims that Lady Ga Ga could not be considered part of the genre. And I'm proclaiming that a lot of the electronica that is being presented as psychedelic simply is not. You make out like it's something worthy of conjecture. I'm sorry, but you just can't reinvent terminology because the word suits the image you are trying to portray in you life existence.

I give a three year old an apple every day, and tell him it's an orange. After five years, he loves this fruit so much, but asks me what an apple tastes like. I tell him it tastes just like an orange. At 15 years old, he then tells all his mates that apples & oranges are pretty much the same. He's not right, is he ?

Edited by Psylo Dread

well, aren't you more specifically describing psychedelic rock? with your examples from way back anyway.

i think the word psychedelic has a very broad meaning nowadays, so your definition of a specific type of music being psychedelic music is outdated, if people think the music is pychedelic then they will call it pyschedelic music. there you have it bloke, like it or not.

I love psytrance but I think 90% of the songs in this thread are terrible, unimaginative and boring.

Just my opinion of course, be offended or not, it won't change my opinion.

That's more my style of psytrance, like it or not, i won't be offended :)

I love psytrance but I think 90% of the songs in this thread are terrible, unimaginative and boring.

lol electronic music fans can be quite discriminating when it comes to genres.

check out Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music for a tongue-in-cheek breakdown of electronic music genres.

It's about 10 years out of date but still worth a look as the comments on some of the more obscure genres are hilarious. I especially like the Techno - VGM and Casiocore genres :lol: