The Corroboree
kindness

tumbleweed 90s band

I'm trying to find some tumbleweed shit from the 90's can't member the name of the ep's they were the short ones tho... farked if I can remember em'.

how's this reference for tumbleweed on the net though:

Tumbleweed

Tumbleweed is firstly a highly influential Australian rock band from the 90's, a country rock band from Norway and a bonecrushing instro/surf band from Sweden. Tumbleweed (Australia) filled the stoner-rock void in Australia during the heavy grunge years of the 1990s. As the opening band for Nirvana on their 1992 tour of Australia, Tumbleweed was able to reach out into the mainstream with their crunchy-psychedelica and the subtle vocal stylings of singer Richie Lewis.

what the fuck? Norway? country rock... oh dear

anyhow. help appriciated.

pm me

Sundial EP / theatre of gnomes EP

Mate there music takes me back to being a ratty teenage kid in the early nineties hope those two names help

found return to earth and galactaphonic on soulseek, they look like LPs

yep theatre of gnomes was one of em :)

sundial was a bit of a classic and well know one. Cheers for the quick replies lovely people.

any suggestions for non dodgy torrent sites where I might find em. I actually kinda sorta know the dudes so can give em moeny anyway.....

Edited by kindness

Oh yeah, that small window of cool Aussie East-Coast '90's bands deep underground, but with rare peeps into mainstream. Lots of Sabbathean approaches, more volume than Nigel Tufnel's fabled "11"on the Marshall, big ups to the hard n heavy thinking man's stoner rock.

Being a Sydney-ite, I can only remember what rolled into town. Bands in the good old days such as:

Tumbleweed

The band that was responsible for starting this thread. They were pretty cool. I drank with some of the members a few times post-gig, at the old Newtown Exchange Hotel, into the wee hours with booze and blunts. The premises is now some fancy clubesque cocktail bar. Chance of having a beer with Tumbleweed members there would be <1%

Edited by Psylo Dread

Christ Art Museum

Despite few false starts, I saw these guys rock it out, seriously unique for rockers. Think Tool before Tool were a known entity. The singer was doing some live vocal processing via a wha-style effect (on his voice), the drummer, the amazing Syd Green, sat at 90º, and closer to the front of stage. The bass player danced amonsgt it all. These guys were a mind-trip, and it's sad to have seen their demise due to some member(s)dancing with Harry once too often.

Downtime

A Sydney band, lots of hardcore on the surface, but a real raw DIY approach, with some great band interaction between each member on the live platform. They were heavy as fuck. But with a nice, iced stoner mindset. NOt Hitler-Youth at all, in fact the singer/guitarist is either Aus Indig or Polynesian, or maybe S.American LOL. Good heavy player.

No video to see here, just a taste of the music:

Dreamkillers

Hailing from Brisbane, in the early 90's Sydney shows they showed themselves as a bit older & uglier to start with. The lead vocalist out in his undies, covered in tatts, before a time like now where tatts are 'sexy' - rocking large, with a tight, metal/hardcore band element. Very funny 'boys only' lyrics for giggling, yet some amazing musical drive alongside the obvious planned yobboisms

Believe it or not ive been looking for a torrent of these dudes. My partner owns many unplayable (scratched) cd's of these dudes

Kindness,my partner has Galactaphonic and said you can have it.

PM me your addy....she's a sweety aye?

Edit:Also Tumbleweed -Self-titled with Sundial first track.

Edited by mescalito

Tracklist

1Custard –Apartment

Written-By –

2:242You Am I –Trike

Written-By –

2:583Fauves, The –Dogs Are The Best People

Written-By –

2:484Tumbleweed –Fang It

Written-By –

2:345Ammonia (2) –You're Not The Only One Who Feels This Way

Written-By –

3:516Skunkhour –Breathing Through My Eyes

Written-By –

4:11

Sorry about the shite format, but I still have this sampler CD I got from Syd Royal Easter Show around '97. I can burn it for anyone if they like?

Edited by FancyPants

Tumbleweed were awesome - saw them many a time during the uni days. Still have theatre of gnomes and the spiral bound weedseed EP with its R.Crumb inspired cartoons. Heavily influenced by Blue Cheer also. Ive got weedseed and theatre of gnomes on CD and can rip em for you if you like.

Mosrite guitars, Marshall plexi's, big muff fuzz pedals, converse all stars, paisley shirts and velvet jackets = way cool.

Shakedowns on the way....

Edited by botanika

Ah the Weedseed EP was a wee ripper! Was a fan of the instrumental on it called Fritz.

It used to be worth quite a bit on the secondhand market. I know I sold it for more than I paid for it way back when.

Can't remember Tumbleweed opening for Nirvana though but maybe they didn't do Adelaide. Speaking of which I think the Weedsters got back together for a tour just recently.

Edited by strangebrew

Speaking of which I think the Weedsters got back together for a tour just recently.

They did a NSW tour in January this year which coincided with a CD release of single & rarities.

That reminds me. I have a few old vinyl single from The Hard-Ons. Would they be wortha few bucks, or should I just find a diehard fan and give them away?

So do you want them Kindness?....I'm getting PM's dude,just not from you :wink:

Few memories here :)

Last time i saw tumbleweed was at the espy, loooong time ago now. Still got my meanies albums kickn around some where, they were always a bit better than the hard-ons i reckon. I saw so many live gigs around that time of my life, too many to mention but it all started back about 92 in Ballarat, the scene there was awesome at that time, mavises, spiderbait, the dead salesmen and the best metal/hatecore australia has produced - Damaged just to name a few. My memory cogs are gon be goin nuts today tryin to recall all the bands i went to see between 92 and bout 97. Just used to be the norm, go out every weekend and see bands, i dunno why i stopped doin that, i really dont.

Anyone remember the fireballs??? bass player used to stand up on his big arse bass and play it lol

2:583Fauves, The –Dogs Are The Best People

Last year for my mates 30th his partner got the fauves to come play for him/us. There was only about 10 of there all up, was a good lil gig haha.

• Like 1

Anyone remember the fireballs??? bass player used to stand up on his big arse bass and play it

Sure do ! Their tight metal/rockabilly was pretty cool.

While we are name dropping 90's oz bands. Hanging Tree, anyone ?

I dropped off the planet for a while right around the time of this post. I'd put one of those embarrassed emoticons but I'm typing from my phone and dunno how! TI yeh demonoid invite would be good? If u still around lad.

90s bands :) Zambian goat herders, downtime, Nancy vandells

Daze before mobiles, Facebook, and when to watch a movie on a plane meant laughing along with everyone else and pulling all the shutters down :)

Did they have a song by the name of 'glow in the dark' or something similar?? I just remember being hounded by my father all the time to try and find that song for him on the internet years ago (Since he couldn't use the computer) to listen too.

• Like 1

I have their self-titled CD in perfect A1 condition and I only play burned copies, it's almost impossible to get now.

One of the best albums in the history of mankind IMO :)

I remember some obscure earlier stuff, Something like,"Hey Mr Pharmacist" lol. I think the band was previously called 'Proton Energy Pill'

Edited by Halcyon Daze