The Corroboree
tripsis

Cordyceps gunni

A few photos of Cordyceps gunnii from Regrowth. I expected to find them there as they were there last year. Very common in the area, but unfortunately I wasn't really in the photography mood and thus only got a few pretty shit pics.

5657228876_e73d516625_z.jpg

5656660233_4d04e73e6b_z.jpg

An unusual white fruit body.

5657230100_d1656b3113_b.jpg

5657231464_9d67b4cb32_b.jpg

5656658265_d8b0379408_z.jpg

If you look closely you can see the head of the caterpillar and a few tiny legs sticking out from the mycelium covering the body. Without fail, the fruit bodies grew from the head.

5657233158_8e05f59a29_b.jpg

5656654575_7609474cea_b.jpg

Just found this article. Thought it's pretty interesting. Basically any info on C. gunnii regarding the medicinal usefulness of the species comes from Chinese research, meaning that it probably doesn't apply to the Australian species. Considering that the Australian C. gunnii is more closely related to C. sinensis than the Chinese species, it is likely that it has similar medicinal compounds in it.

it looks like the hosts could be underground larvae? like baardi grubs? or some otherkind of moth or beetle larvae?

anyone who doesnt think nature is both impersonal and grusomely violent should at least google cordyceps sp.

gnarly shrooms!! imagine if nature invents a human one? that would be hectic. shrooms take back the planet. someone should keep an eye on stamets ;)

edit- definately, looking at those pics. one of the cordyceps basis looks like a mumified baardi (gruesome, looks like its been "allowed" to live a full life, it look a mature specimen). 2nd one down in the pic.

Edited by incognito

My five year old son loves the Cordyceps. He says: "Dad, tell me again about the mushroom that makes ants into zombies". :lol:

• Like 1

The hosts are underground caterpillars. Not sure of the species. I previously thought they might have been bogong moth caterpillars, as the moths are very common down there and the larvae live underground, emerging at night to feed, but they don't breed in southern NSW.

The hosts are underground caterpillars. Not sure of the species. I previously thought they might have been bogong moth caterpillars, as the moths are very common down there and the larvae live underground, emerging at night to feed, but they don't breed in southern NSW.

Bogong moths do fly to Southern NSW and Northern Vic (Mt. Bogong) in summer, then they head back to Western NSW and the Darling Downs in QLD. But despite what most of us think they are a pretty small moth, well, about an inch long. I don't think they have a caterpillar as big as the ones those cordyceps have invaded. They're more than likely going to be Emperor Gum Moths larvae.

(bogong moths do pupate under ground though) I'm only guessing that their caterpillar wouldn't be very big, but what do I know?!

A quick google search says caterpillars are up to 5cm long.

You're right, they're not big enough and they don't breed in the Southern Highlands. They definitely fly down there, as there all over the place, but the larvae are of another species.

Emperor gum moth larvae do not live underground.

Thanks for taking the photos tripsis, very cool.

A few photos of Cordyceps gunnii from Regrowth. I expected to find them there as they were there last year. Very common in the area, but unfortunately I wasn't really in the photography mood and thus only got a few pretty shit pics.

5657228876_e73d516625_z.jpg

5656660233_4d04e73e6b_z.jpg

An unusual white fruit body.

5657230100_d1656b3113_b.jpg

5657231464_9d67b4cb32_b.jpg

5656658265_d8b0379408_z.jpg

If you look closely you can see the head of the caterpillar and a few tiny legs sticking out from the mycelium covering the body. Without fail, the fruit bodies grew from the head.

5657233158_8e05f59a29_b.jpg

5656654575_7609474cea_b.jpg

Dude! I was at Regrowth too!! I also found them and heaps of others. We will have to have chat.

I have a few NOOB questions:

1. Is it possible to cultivate cordyceps?

2. would you also need to raise some lavae of a moth to grow these?

3. can you grow these on another substrate?

4. what is their main medicinal use?

5. how do you prepare them.. tea? tincture?

that's enough dumb questions for now

cheers