The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ergoamide

Salvia officianalis

is there enough thujone in S. officianalis to smoke the leaves without a concentrated extract and if so how much leave would have 2 b smoked

My understanding is that S. Officianalis does have more Thujone content than A. Absinthium and other related plants, but it's still only suitable for extraction. Especially if smoking is the proposed method of ingestion.

I don't know first hand, but I believe you would need to smoke several grams of leaf matter to get any kind of effect, and by that time, it could just be light headedness from all the smoke inhalation!

Someone else should know alot more than I, though.

One source I've seen cites thujone as some rediculously large amount like 30%.

That would indicate you could smoke the leaves, but I'd probably go for an extraction.

The essential oil may contain from 14-67% thujones.

extraction it is then just one of the many i will soon be attempting to extract in my dreams of course

[ 31. May 2005, 10:59: Message edited by: ergoamide ]

No, one of the ones you WON'T be attempting to extract.

A Thujone extraction may well be incriminating, and suggesting you plan multiple extractions is possibly even more incriminating. :(

But, doesn't bother me what you say. You didn't incriminate me. :D

I don't think it is illegal in the same way as something like Heroin is, but a deliberate extraction from plants would more than likely be a criminal act of some sort.

Same as Mescaline cacti. They aren't illegal, but if you grow them specifically for their Mescaline content, you COULD be breaking the law.

It all depends on interpretation of the law, and the mood that the cops/judge/prosecutor is in.

I don't think thujone is illegal.

Doesn't darcy sell absinthe essential oil or something?

Or is the distinction between extraction and essential oil different?

Yeah, I believe (emphasis here, I really don't KNOW) that Thujone is allowed in food and drink preperations, but only a certain amount. eg. 10ppm, or something like that.

I think that essential oils aren't restricted in their Thujone content, as long as they aren't for consumption.

But, if you are extracting Thujone for ingestion, I'm sure the cops could get a warrant for a search if they had good enough evidence.

It does definitely suggest involvement in plant cultivation, for harvesting purposes.

Hey, I was just giving you a friendly warning, I said that I don't actually KNOW what the story is.

As a rule, I wouldn't make any kind of plant extraction that you perform, public knowledge.

Benzito:

Hey, I was just giving you a friendly warning, I said that I don't actually KNOW what the story is.

As a rule, I wouldn't make any kind of plant extraction that you perform, public knowledge.      

if you dont know for sure then you shouldnt comment :) because, Thujone is not illegal in NSW, according to the drug trafficing act, so extractions should be fine to do. just check your state laws.

sound advice on keeping extractions private tho :)

%simon

Just doing some research on the matter, I may have made a misleading statement above without realising it.

The 30% number is accurate, but it's 30% thujone of the total essential oils.

That is to say, 30% of the essential oils are thujone.

Comparatively speaking, A. absinthum contains 1% essential oil (with some references going as low as 0.25-0.5%), while S. officinalis is closer (or greater) than 2%. I'm not exactly sure what the thujone content is in A. absinthum, but I'm pretty sure it's less than 30% of the total essential oils. Which makes Salvia officinalis definitely the way to go.

Some interesting quotes for posterities sake:

quote:

Thujone does not in fact act like THC at all. That belief was founded on the observation that they have similar chemical structures, but was proven incorrect (Hold et al., 2000). Actually, it seems that thujone exacts its effects on GABA-A receptors in the brain. This is the same receptor that alcohol acts on, but the two chemicals have opposite effects.

quote:

Thujone, or rather it's active metabolites (7-hydroxy-alpha-thujone, alpha-thujone), and other products in wormwood that steep into absinthe (e.g. camphor) are actually convulsants. They inhibit the brains inhibitory system causing overexcitation. Death in animals as large as cats and rabbits results from moderate doses and there are documented cases of death in humans (Burkhard et al., 1999). One person's statement that oral ingestion is not injection so it is probably fine is false, the thujone actually needs to be metabolized by the liver to break it down into its active components.

Very interesting. Thus smoking extract is probably not the best way to get effects (considering it needs to be metabolised to be active).

A brief list of thujone containing plants:

quote:

Salvia officinalis L. - Sage (Leaf)

Salvia triloba L. - Greek Sage (Plant)

Artemisia dracunculus L. - Tarragon (Shoot)

Mentha x rotundifolia (L.) HUDSON - Applemint (Leaf)

Pycnanthemum tenuifolium SCHRAD. - Slenderleaf Mountain Mint (Shoot)

Mentha pulegium L. - European Pennyroyal (Plant)

Thymus orospedanus H. del VILLAR - Orosped Thyme (Plant)

Achillea millefolium L. - Yarrow (Plant)

Capsicum frutescens L. - Cayenne (Fruit)

Carum carvi L. - Caraway (Fruit)

Glycyrrhiza glabra L. - Licorice (Root)

Juniperus sabina L. - Sabine (Plant)

Matricaria recutita L. - Annual Chamomile (Plant)

Mentha arvensis L. - Cornmint (Plant)

Sassafras albidum (NUTT.) NEES - Sassafras (Root)

Satureja hortensis L. - Summer Savory (Plant)

All the above was stolen from here , I just took the interesting bits out for you to see :)

Benz, I think that limit on food may be just for like food safety purposes or something like that.

Yeah, I think you guys are right, but I was just pointing out that a comment such as "just one of the many i will soon be attempting to extract" is probably somewhat incriminating.

At the very least, any cops reading this forum, would sit up and pay attention to you after saying something like that.

But, this is all irrelevant, because he's doing it in his dreams.

yes of course i have supreme control over my dreams therefore i can do anything in my dreams

you're forgetting wormwoods cousin Artemesia Vulgaris (Mugwort), The Dream Herb, which has a higher thujone content than Salvia Officianalis, more closer to wormwood.