The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Marcel

Mailing petri dishes

I've got some plates with cultures on them, currently stored in the fridge. I've got too many and want to send them out to people. What are the chances of a culture surviving domestic postage conditions? Is this common practice?

Cheers guys.

-M

Edited by Marcel

Yeah man, as long as you dont post em in full summer theyre usually all good.

Should survive in most cases, depending on the species and the conditions they go through before they reach their destination. Mycelium is hardy. You can stick a wedge in a ziplock bag, crush it and post it in an envelope. Two weeks can pass and it'll still be viable.

Ooer, Marcel what cultures do you have?

re: durability, Two (90mm?, standard size) plates fit well into the small padded postal envelopes, never had a complaint of a breakage.

Have had plates just with a wrap of paper around them, sent to me with good success too.

re: durability, Two (90mm?, standard size) plates fit well into the small padded postal envelopes, never had a complaint of a breakage.

Have had plates just with a wrap of paper around them, sent to me with good success too.

i find the pp sauce containers (round 40ml) work best as they are more durable than disposable petri dishes, but petri dishes seem to work fine in the mail if in bubble wrap.

PP is also reusable and recyclable.

I ain't got nothing special at the moment, NSF. Some L. edodes. Some P. ostreatus. Can't do much myco-play at the moment because I'm planting a million trees and putting in four 4 metre raised garden beds in my backyard.

They're raised 4m off the ground, or 4m2? I'll be doing something similar soon with corrugated steel sheets.

4 metres off the ground?! That would be something! You'd need a crane to clip a bit of basil for your evening pasta!

Nah, I putting in two that are 4 metres long and 1 metre wide and ~50cm deep. And two more that are 3 metres long. We considered corrugated sheets too, but decided to go for broke and make them out of old hardwood railway sleepers. Nice and solid looking that way.

:lol:

Yeah, I thought it was a little ridiculous. Railways sleepers would look nice. I just got some second hand corrugated steel sheets, 3m long and 80cm high, so will make the bed about 60 deep. Didn't cost too much and should last for a long time.

I've sent and received plates and they've been fine. They need to grow at a decent temperature on agar once you start them so a short time in the post won't hurt unless someone leaves the package in the blazing sun on a hot Summer's day (or in an unshaded metal letterbox). Express Post ftw!