The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
tripsis

Deleted :(

Sorry folks, this had to be deleted for personal reasons.

Edited by tripsis

Edited by tripsis
  • Like 2

Great photos! I've just started researching my local area... I will upload some pics next weekend B)

Beautiful pics Tripsis!

I've been anticipating seeing these pics.

The information you've recorded with them

makes your collection (pics and cultures, if still alive) much more valuable.

Really nice work, Thanks for posting it.

Thanks guys. Plenty more photos to come. :)

Incredible. I think I saw some of your India photos over at the shroomery. I'd love to do some myco-based travel.

Let us know when they Tripsis Field Guide to India is published; would love a copy.

And that oozing, weeping hydnellum is beautiful!

Thanks for sharing.

-M

:lol:

This is probably as close to a field guide as it's going to get from me. Although I have entertained the idea of making a book about mushroom hunting and identification before. Need far more knowledge than I currently have to make it happen though.

Edited by tripsis

Edited by tripsis

Edited by tripsis
  • Like 1

WOW. WOW. Great shots. I bet it takes you ages to get any where tripsis, as it seems you have stopped to photograph every single fungi.:lol: Great stuff.

Edit: That sounded dumb. Obviously it was your intention to photograph every single fungi. I can just imagine you taking ,like, an hour to move 20 foot .

Edited by Amazonian

Seriously AMAZING pics. :worship:

I bet slide show night at your place is a big hit :lol:

Words fail me the awesomeness of the fungi of India ... :wub:

thanks for showing us all!!!

Incredible effort mate, thanks so much for taking the time to put all this up.

Thanks folks, it's nice to know my effort is appreciated. :)

It's taken a while to sort all the photos out and get them all uploaded. Must have taken around 2000 photos of fungi alone! It's good to be able to share with people who are interested. Will be making a thread or two on the plants too, but I don't have nearly as many plant shots.

Thanks Tripsis.... best thread I've seen on here for a while. Really beautiful photography.

Edited by tripsis

Edited by tripsis

Edited by tripsis

Edited by tripsis

Edited by tripsis

Just a note of my culture work. Over 95% of it would have been done in open air. I initially made up plates with hydrogen peroxide and gentamicin at a Shroomery member's house. After that, I got my friend from Gujarat to make up plates simply with H2O2, which he would then send to me. Working quickly with the aid of the peroxide, open air work was made possible, even though I was cloning wild specimens. I even did it on the train once! So while having a sterile workspace is desirable, it's not always necessary.

Hey tripsis great photos, very jealous!

Can you explain the H202 procedure a little? You mix H202 with your gelling media? Or do you use H202 to sterilise the surface? Is the gentamicin also necessary?

Does the H202 adversely affect growth of the tissue you want to clone?

thanks

Sure thing. You make up your media as per usual, then after autoclaving, you let it cool enough that you can hold the vessel it's in. You want it as cool as possible, as peroxide is heat sensitive. Then add between 3ml and 10ml of 3% peroxide per litre of agar, with around 7ml per litre as the standard. The amount you use varies with the species. Some, such as Ganoderma spp., which are on the whole very aggressive, tolerate it well, while others cannot handle it well (I recall Hericium sp. did not respond to it well) at higher levels and only do alright at such low levels that mould spores are capable of germinating.

The peroxide does slow down growth, especially at first, but the mycelium tends to adjust to it. Gentamicin is not necessary generally speaking, but some species are riddled with bacteria, sometimes of the parasitic or "hitch hiker" type, which travel on the mycelium itself, so it's impossible to isolate away from with the aid of antibiotic. Most wild specimens are fine though. Agaricus and especially Volvariella species seem to have high numbers to endosymbiotic bacteria within their tissues.

I see .. so you add the H202 before the agar has set, but after its cooled down enough (?)

This is interesting, thanks for the tip! I generally use in vitro for plant explants, not for mushrooms, so perhaps they will handle the H202 better.

Using a dirty air method like this would be a big step for people who don't have the equipment for a sterile lab.

absolutely awesome pics tripsis! your Id skills are admirable :)

Keep them coming!

Edited by tripsis

amazing photo's bud!

india is sssoooo amazing, i wanna go back so bad.

Edited by thomsonnn