The Corroboree
Zen Peddler

marijuana overdose

Just thought I ask of other's experiences. One that occur recently put me more in mind with a mushroom experience complete with anxiety and severe paranoia that a person Id argued with early took on special powers that were very malevolent and I was totally convinced of thsi delusion at the time. It was like a spell was put on me in my mind at the time. I also Had the shakes all over as well.

Never experienced anything like it before but I had been drinking a heap beforehand and I was convinved someone had spiked my drink with acid until it started to go away after a five long hours...

The next day I felt like after a dramatic or heavy shroom out - fuzzy, jumpy and a little disturbed despite feeling mentally well.

Odd experience there, I wonder if there is a possibility of the herb being adulterated... doubt it tho

Although I have to admit being similarly deluded under the influence (supernatural forces, believing people want to posion/harm me)

"Greened out" when I was younger once, was horrible, I think the tobacco in the mix was a definite factor..

Have fainted a couple of times having spots, might have to do with the heat from the element and lack of oxygen.

Same thing has happened with subs before.. quite rapidly (1-2 mins) things start to sound further away and everything gets brighter and brighter until I can't hear anything but static and see white.. then wake up on the ground/against a wall

Yeah it was totally abnormal and nothing like ive ever experienced. It was a greenout in the traditional sense but with a very odd set of physical and quite convincing delusions, weird...

Odd experience there, I wonder if there is a possibility of the herb being adulterated... doubt it tho

Although I have to admit being similarly deluded under the influence (supernatural forces, believing people want to posion/harm me)

"Greened out" when I was younger once, was horrible, I think the tobacco in the mix was a definite factor..

Have fainted a couple of times having spots, might have to do with the heat from the element and lack of oxygen.

Same thing has happened with subs before.. quite rapidly (1-2 mins) things start to sound further away and everything gets brighter and brighter until I can't hear anything but static and see white.. then wake up on the ground/against a wall

Low blood pressure is a common cause of blackouts when stoned. I've also seen plenty of people hit the ground on subs, but never on cubes. I have a feeling it is part of the woodlovers continuum of physiological effects.

Regarding the topic at hand, I personally find that I'm much more prone to anxiety and paranoia when using Cannabis these days...although that is very rare. Something tells me that when you have been a regular smoker earlier in life and give it up, your brain deals with it differently to current regular smokers and also those who have never been heavily into it. Just a hypothesis though. Method of ingestion can definitely be a factor. Eating can lead to higher doses as the limiting factor of stopping when you get too stoned doesn't happen. Plus, it lasts longer, and when you are feeling delusional for a longer period of time it is more difficult to continue telling yourself that it's a delusion.

I reckon it was a combination of alcohol synergy, adrenaline and taking too much of a good thing, even if the latter dosage was perceived to be large or small, i don't think many people grasp the strength, particularly the same material in different contexts. An overdose imo can be as simple as a puff, then the substance gets the blame with adulterants etc, where in reality the dosage was too high for the context.

yeah all sound info guys cheers. I am an ex heavy smoker who dabbles only occasionally now days and at times it doesnt agree with me even with small amounts. I had drank a LOT of beer the night this happened and also taken a lot more coffee than usual

Edited by Zen Peddler BlueGreenie

I am an ex heavy smoker who dabbles only occasionally now days and at times it doesnt agree with me even with small amounts.

It does seem it can be a factor. As I said, it is only a hypothesis from my own experiences and anecdotal reports such as your own, but it would be interesting to see the results if a study a were done.

i occasionally got the weirdest symptoms that i later figured out seemed to be related to massive swings in blood sugar ?

I usually just pass out and wake up hours later sitting up in my bed?

I usually just pass out and wake up hours later sitting up in my bed?

On the rare occasions that I do partake, I make sure I do not sleep because I feel it would be a waste because I don't have it very often...even if I'm having a difficult time. How weird is that!

i agree that after being a daily smoker & giving up for a short time can make you feel like your tripping & that strange wrong dream/ nightmare like feeling

dont know if you remember this one from a while back

have had the things slowing down feeling

Edited by mac

LOL, Mac OI posted the animated version of that call a few poists above.

I knew I wouldnt be the only one reaching for that clip.. lol.

im pretty sure only 1 person has actually died as a direct result of Mj.

he smoked some silly amount in a sitting and died of something similar to lung failure. i have def heard this before but im not sure if it was a mythical story, im sure its true.

people fall asleep before overdose hence its self limiting.

it might be possible due to anxiety to have a panic attack which can feel like your body is actually shutting down, which it kind of is....then in a last resistance most people breath in and out and regain control. certainly panic attacks may lead to a heart attack in very vulnerable people but to attribute the heart attack to Mj is difficult to be clear cut about when the smoker may have a pre existing condition which is caused by something that has nothing to do with Mj....such as alcohol.

In short no...........but a combination of factors could possibly result in death, but very very very remote.

I had an OD once: my pulse rate went to about 180bpm and it was a total fry-out. I ended up waking up in my bed 8 hours later with my jocks coated in piss and semen. Luckily no poo! It was way more intense than and LSD OR SHROOMS I've had. I once had a brother in law that got his ounces and pounds mixed-up and he had to have ECT 4 times in a row after him and his mate ingested 1/2 pound each, eaten in bali. I think it is starting to become pretty obvious that MJ IS REALLY quite a fucked-up thing long term, or used in massive ACUTE amounts, similar to alcohol, but with probably more pronounced side-effects, AND LONG TERM MENTAL HEALTH EFFECTS in overdose THAN ALCOHOL.

BUT probably as a weekend thing, in small doses, OK. I'm all for a restricted 'friday night' ONLY TYPE of selling at your local botTle-o!

im pretty sure only 1 person has actually died as a direct result of Mj.

In short no...........but a combination of factors could possibly result in death, but very very very remote.

I don't think anyone meant death. Overdose just means having a negative reaction based on the size of the dose.

I had an OD once: my pulse rate went to about 180bpm and it was a total fry-out. I ended up waking up in my bed 8 hours later with my jocks coated in piss and semen. Luckily no poo! It was way more intense than and LSD OR SHROOMS I've had. I once had a brother in law that got his ounces and pounds mixed-up and he had to have ECT 4 times in a row after him and his mate ingested 1/2 pound each, eaten in bali. I think it is starting to become pretty obvious that MJ IS REALLY quite a fucked-up thing long term, or used in massive ACUTE amounts, similar to alcohol, but with probably more pronounced side-effects, AND LONG TERM MENTAL HEALTH EFFECTS in overdose THAN ALCOHOL.

BUT probably as a weekend thing, in small doses, OK. I'm all for a restricted 'friday night' ONLY TYPE of selling at your local botTle-o!

Who on Earth has 1/2 Oz anyway? 1/2 a gram is plenty for me. So having roughly 500 doses of a drug in one go has some side effects. Try doing that with alcohol. I think you will find the mental health effects to be quite pronouned.

i agree that after being a daily smoker & giving up for a short time can make you feel like your tripping

ditto that, & especially w/strong hydro varieties. Marijuana is classed as a psychedelic after all.

weird w/the alcohol though. for me alcohol consumed prior to MJ completely kills the MJ but seems to increase the effects ov the alcohol.

Edited by nabraxas

On the rare occasions that I do partake, I make sure I do not sleep because I feel it would be a waste because I don't have it very often...even if I'm having a difficult time. How weird is that!

That's a good thing :)

I'm a heavy heavy smoker to the point of abuse. Seeing as how I smoke the same amount due to habit rather than dependence when I go from smoking crap bud to smoking 20% thc hydro... for the first week i'll be randomly passing out through the day and waking up with no memory of falling asleep.

Of course it's not as if I wake up on the ground or even sitting down in a chair, always in my bed.

Whilst on this special diet, I get visuals 24/7 too made up of slight open eyed distortions and opaque first level closed eye visuals.

At those doses, if someone whose body and mind isn't accustomed to being on THC 20 hours of the day i'm quite sure they'd constrew it as an overdose.

I remember one time giving my father(smoked in the 70s) a double cone once of hydro... 15 minutes later he was spead on the floor of the bathroom trying to cooldown and rebalance himself freaking out and everything. He was scared what we were doing to our brains if we can handle that stuff. :P

Shulgin discusses a mj overdose in TIHKAL... 'the black dred' was the chapter I believe. 'Father of MDMA' can't handle THC :/. THC has limited uses outside of the medical world anyway, it's an incredibly selfish egotistical drug I find... perfect for me :)

LOL, Mac OI posted the animated version of that call a few poists above.

I knew I wouldnt be the only one reaching for that clip.. lol.

The dialogue in the animation was quite different from the original call... I started watching the animation thinking it would be the call Mac posted, but decided it was either another very similar call or, more likely, a recreation of the original call made to be a little more entertaining to stoners. I like the original better, but the animation was a good watch anyway. Cheers.

<edit> or else, I only ever saw an edited version. The voices do sound the same in both clips.????

Edited by Rabaelthazar

THC has limited uses outside of the medical world anyway, it's an incredibly selfish egotistical drug I find... perfect for me :)

My personal gripe with marijuana (and a large part of why I stopped smoking) is that I don't think much personal growth happens when you're stoned 24/7. It may not be escapist in the same way that alcohol is, but I still think that it's easy to use it as a crutch that gives allows one to avoid actually confronting their difficulties in life. I'm not necessarily talking major stuff, but the little day to day bits of learning we do - be it interpersonal, intellectual, introspective etc. - add up, and I think if you miss out on all that stuff, you get stuck at the maturity level you were at when you started smoking. I don't necessarily think that it makes people egotistical or selfish, but a 30 year old with the maturity of a 15 year will be both of those things in comparison to others of their age.

I actually think of MDMA as more fitting that bill of causing selfishness and egotism, though I think it is very subversive in the way in which it does that. This is not to say that I think MDMA is not a useful drug, but I think one or two uses is enough to enlighten a person of some things that maybe they never realised, and it is how they integrate that into their sober life that gives the drug its teaching power. More uses than that, I feel, is almost purely hedonistic. I don't necessarily have a problem with hedonism, but it's not always productive. When I look back at my behaviour on MDMA, I think a lot of the emotions, like the desire for generosity for instance, are centered around a desire to feel good about myself, and not so much about a true empathy for others. In that respect, I class MDMA more as an egogen than an empathogen. I have certainly been embarrassed by my behaviour on MDMA (particularly when combined with alcohol) even though that behaviour may be beneficial rather than detrimental to those that it affects. This may seem like a strange analogy, but the fact that I feel my ego - something that is usually very private - has been 'on display' while on this drug, has sometimes made me feel like I've been walking around all night with my dick hanging out. I enjoy the feeling of MDMA to some extent, and under certain circumstances, the euphoria can be worth any negative emotions experienced during and after comedown, but It's certainly a state I think is best enjoyed with a parter or close friends only and, for this reason, I do not consider it a great party drug.

• Like 1

sdfsdff

Edited by Teljkon

I had a read of some of the negative experiences on erowid and they sounded pretty familiar.

To give you some context I used to be a daily smoker for years and years while at university and eventually quit because I kind of felt like it was getting in the way of relationships and so forth. I remember one day realising that I hadnt seen any of my friends in two months and I saw that the dude I was living with was just smoking his life away. SO I just quit one day. But that being said I NEVER EVER had a terrible experience with weed. A couple of times I was a litle paranoid, other times I greened out after drinking then smoking but nothing like what happened a week ago.

There was one pretty weird episopde when i ate way too many cookies that this was kind of similar to I guess but even that was kind of funny and whimsical at the time even as I felt terrible in the guts and cold all over.

Nowdays I suffer from a health condition that can give me random nasty episodes of low blood pressure so maybe that might be the reason behind it?

On the night in question Id been to a cafe all arvo and had too many cups of coffee (like 5) then I had about 8 or 9 pints between dinner and 12pm. Id had an argument with a relative of my wife who I didnt know so well about another relative.

I got home and a friend had bought over a bong. I hadnt had a hit from one of those in maybe 6 years. I ripped down three in a row and all of a sudden voices went all weird and slow soundng, people's faces looked wrong and I was convinced I had been dosed earlier at the pub or - which I believe much more convincingly - that the relaticve and the other relative who I had been arguing about had put some nasty 'warning' spell on me to warn me not to fuck with them.

I was so convinced of this that I lay in bed wide awake, sweating like a pig and shaking all over listening to people outside my room convinced they were laughing about the spell that had been placed on me - like some fucking weird voodoo magic thing. I remember saying over and over 'ok I get your point I didnt realise' - as in I didnt realise you were some kind of THC demon controller and that Id be nicer from now on LOL.

I also remember kind of laughing about the fact that after shit loads of other things that it would be weed that gave me psychosis...

Thankfully my wife came in and said I looked like shit and I puked and had major diaherra for about four hours after that. My hands and feet were totally freezing yet I felt super hot and was just pouring sweat. I sat on the toilet totally tripping balls and with things around me morphing like on shrooms just endlessly crapping basically.

My wife and my mate are convinced I munched a few shrooms but I dont remember it and I actually doubt it because I was supposed to be at the train station in the city the next day at 9am.

The next day I felt fine (didnt sleep at all) and felt exactly like after a shroom trip.

The whole experience didnt have any of the characteristics of weed. I didnt feel sinky, my eyes were not blood shot and the next day I had lost 5 kgs!

Two days later I was back to normal, although a little tired but I never knew that THC could be psychedelic and I still wonder whether indeed someone dosed me with something else or I had a flashback or something. Very fucking strange.

I had hardly smoked in years since it just tended to lower my blood pressure a bit and make me feel nausea. the feelings Id get from weed in the past like creative thinking and stuff no longer seemed to happen so I didnt bother with it.

So maybe just a combo of medical shit and a massive dose for a person who had barely touched it in years. Beers before grass and your on your arse? More like beers before grass and your convinced witches are fucking your mind up LOL... I do remember being pretty anxious but not super panicky, more just feeling very unwell, very deluded and holding back a spew...

Edited by Zen Peddler BlueGreenie

There's a few things that'll make me spin out pretty consistently; tobacco spin, alcohol before herb, gabapentin with herb (whoo like a C.E.V from DXM spinning endlessly headdown into an endless swirling vortex... and here comes lunch!), and overindulging in mullcake after a long hot day at a music festival). The only ones coming close to what you've described, Zen, is the alcohol beforehand, and the gabapentin (Neurontin). But I can't really say for sure how bad the hallucinations were because I'd never had proper hallucinogens at those times.

This may seem like a strange analogy, but the fact that I feel my ego - something that is usually very private - has been 'on display' while on this drug, has sometimes made me feel like I've been walking around all night with my dick hanging out.
- Ballzac

Not long ago in Newtown one night, a friend and I were in the Ladies' and talking about acid, when one of the stall doors opened (we thought they were all empty) and this young british chick popped her head out to grill us what acid was like and went on to say she was on ecstasy and then promptly asked us to hang on for a sec (while she pinched a loaf, face scrunched, splash heard and all), and then continued to talk! Pretty funny, but what if my friend and I were arseholes or dangerous or something?

zac and fp, you have just painted an amazing picture of mdma.

zenpeddler the psychotic part seems pretty normal. puking and shitting, maybe you were simultaneously sick. even though you say you never had those effects in the past, they don't really surprise me. three cones may be nothing when you have a strong tolerance but it's massive when you have no tolerance.

...this young british chick popped her head out to grill us what acid was like and went on to say she was on ecstasy and then promptly asked us to hang on for a sec (while she pinched a loaf, face scrunched, splash heard and all), and then continued to talk!

ROFL that's awesome.

...three cones may be nothing when you have a strong tolerance but it's massive when you have no tolerance.

Couldn't agree more... when I had only just started trying out herb years ago and my tolerance was very low, and I'd hit three or so cones in the space of 10 mins, I was struck blind (literally) for what seemed around 10 mins. My friends took me to sit in the lounge to recover and eventually I did, and it was the strangest feeling -- when I'd realised that my vision had came back, I had a feeling that I had been able to see for a little while earlier, but had just 'ignored' it. A hard feeling to describe, but to begin with it was terrifying. It only ever happened that one time after I've overdone it... :blink: