The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
t st tantra

kratom-red and white

been reading the old material on kratom.....is this right?

kraton leaf exists in two different 'chemostates',

red vein leaf-growing leaf and

white vein leaf-mature leaf.

red veins occur on the growing tips of a branch,the leaves at the base of the branch will usually be white veined.

one form is more stimulant and one more 'opiate like'.

which is which?

t s t .

talking about white kratom, i saw a plant once that had white patches over its leaves. What was that?

White patches was probably a disease (insect or fungus most likely). As for the red and white/green veins, they apparantly can be found on the same plants, and it's not really known if these variations have any relationship to activity/potency.

Most info I have read states that in Thailand, Kratom adicts prefer a mixture of the two types of leaves. This is meant to provide the ideal effect. They do generally say one is more of a stim. and one is more of an opiate, but I don't remember which is which.

Hope that helps a little bit.

"Most info" though probably is just various rehashings of the Swuanalert study. I'm not sure how much weight I'd give that.

No argument with Murple from me.

I am just stating what I believe to be true, from what I've read in a few places on the net.

So, I may well be wrong.

they both taste just as bad as each other :P

quote:

they both taste just as bad as each other

No argument there!

God that stuff tastes bad. I'm pretty sure the alkaloids were MEANT to deter animals from eating it.

How anyone could say this has 'potential for abuse' is beyond me. No way I would chew these leaves all day long.

3 ways people like to consume this overseas. The first two mask the taste while the third complements it:

1) grind dry leaves to fine powder and mix into minimal amount of apple sauce.

2) grind leaves to VERY fine powder and mix into a thickshake.

3) tear strips of fresh leaf and chew, alternating with sips of beer.

i was told recently that pinch of salt in teh mix helps

of course i cant confirm this

Kratom tea doesnt taste that bad... Even a little honey will cover it up. I usually drink the tea unsweetened. Its bitter and not very tasty, but its not unbearable at all.

i think the salt is meant to counter constipation ?

No the salt counter-acts the bitterness, its a common cooking trick and is used for coffee a lot too,,

Well, let me rephrase that, it counter-acts it a little bit, anyway, there is only so much you can do for something like Kratom, LOL.. dont put in to much though or it tastes bloody AWFUL!

From back when it was legal I found that adding things like sugar, tea, coffe or milk just made it taste worse, I remember that it was best to get out however many steeps you wanted, then simmer them down to shot a glass or 2, ad a pinch of salt and take it like a man.. like someone told me once.. "It'll put hair on yer chest!"

One thing I did find helpful was to have something thick and sweet to take afterwards like Schweps lemonade as water doesnt do much.

Ahhh, here's to the good'ol days!.. Cheers...

[ 15. May 2005, 09:26: Message edited by: AndyAmine. ]

it's bitter, yes, but it's also quite astringent which can cause constipation in excess. the salt will prevent this to some extent.

maybe i'm wrong

the salt may do both, but it is primarily consumed to counteract the constipation. Kratom is largely consumed as biak balls, ie a tea is made, the solids filtered off, and the water reduced to form a resin. This resin is then rolled into balls and coated with something dry. These pills are consumed as needed while working. The salt is consumed with these pills even though they have no bitter taste (often they are rolled in icing sugar). This suggests it has little to do with taste.

Personally I think us westeners are just wimps when it comes to bitter taste. Asians eat a lot of very bitter foods. I doubt kratom would really be too offensive to them.

Like beer it is an aquired taste.

Wow, what a coincidence.

AFOAF saw it on T.V with coffee so he tried it in his Kratom tea.. Didnt even think about the constipation because this FOAF is also on Methadone so constipation is a regular everyday event.

The main side effect he said he used to get when it was legal was needing a piss all the time (micturation)

[ 17. May 2005, 05:18: Message edited by: AndyAmine. ]