The Corroboree
Yawning Man

Would you sacrifice one part of yourself, to improve another part of yourself?

Hey Gang

I was thinking about this the other day, would i loose an arm or leg, a sense, part of my personality or brain to improve another part of myself. It's fairly vague sorta question is guess. But for this thread lets say, a large part of your physical health to improve your mental state (advanced cognitive function i.e You become an Einstein overnight).

In the first scenario, you were unsure if you would need your physical body in the future, so it was a gamble to loose your original healthy state.

In the second, you knew that in the future you wouldn't need to rely on the physical body as much, possibly at all.

cheers :lol:

Nice post Yawning Man, it gets the mind boggling that's for sure!

At a first glance I wouldn't 'choose' to lose a limb to improve brain function but making a point that I wouldn't need to reply on the physical body as much, if at all changes that all together!

I think this would ring true with a lot of people too when they do lose limbs, or senses, etc... it enhances them in another way so for example someone who loses their sight can learn to make better use of the other senses, touch, hearing, 6th sense!

Another aspect you could add to this is losing a limb to evolve your spirituality. To reach such a higher state of mind that you no longer require your physical self.

I guess another way you could look at this as well is if you heavily enhance your cognitive state and become an einstein overnight who is to say you couldn't make the sacrifice to make the enhancement, to then become so highly intelligent you discover a way to replace what you lost to begin with without losing the enhancement!!! Then it would be a win win!

Certainly an interesting thought for the start of the day! *yawn* I need more coffee :blink:

Interesting topic but like buying a lottery ticket and crossing one's fingers: wishful thinking at this point in time. :(

I'd trade the anxiety function for higher serotonin levels. Otherwise, I'd trade a certain amount of intelligence for physical health and longevity. There's happiness in simplicity; ignorance is bliss and knowledge can be a burden.

I would sacrifice all my personality for a soul.

yeah good choice legba, i would give up my voice if it meant i can fly! I dont say much anyway and i keep having these flying dreams, bummed when i wake up and realize i cant really flap my arms and soar like a bird.

I lost my foreskin when I was born and have been waiting on the returns ever since....come on universe, throw a dog a bone :wink:

i don't think it would be quite the same, as far as nerves go.

i'd give my foreskin to end the practice of child mutilation.

Really interesting topic Yawning man.....got me thinking...If you were sick and dying a slow debilitating and terminal death.... would you allow yourself to be put to death early in a bid to preserve your body on the off chance that in the future you can be revived and the disease that would have degenerated your body has now been cured. Would you throw away say 3 or 4 good years of your life to maybe gain 30 to 40 years maybe later...what if they never did cure it in the future? But think how awesome would it be being revived 100 years in the future...I think people have done this and are currently frozen....or at least their brain has been frozen...the whole body would be the ultimate sacrifice if done before the natural process of life is complete... suicide with a purpose I suppose...

Once again...interesting thought...

Cheers

Hutchnewimprovedwinkonclear.gif

i don't think it would be quite the same, as far as nerves go.

i'd give my foreskin to end the practice of child mutilation.

Certainly not the same. Unless one's a lizard, structures like the frenelum aren't growing back. It's not un-circumcising but it's as close as possible, I think.

That's a good sacrifice. :)

Really interesting topic Yawning man.....got me thinking...If you were sick and dying a slow debilitating and terminal death.... would you allow yourself to be put to death early in a bid to preserve your body on the off chance that in the future you can be revived and the disease that would have degenerated your body has now been cured. Would you throw away say 3 or 4 good years of your life to maybe gain 30 to 40 years maybe later...what if they never did cure it in the future? But think how awesome would it be being revived 100 years in the future...I think people have done this and are currently frozen....or at least their brain has been frozen...the whole body would be the ultimate sacrifice if done before the natural process of life is complete... suicide with a purpose I suppose...

Once again...interesting thought...

Cheers

Hutchnewimprovedwinkonclear.gif

Walt Disney is one of them I think, Cryogenics is big money though, but there are people willing to be suspended in time. I don't know if they died or suspended life before natural death.

walt disney's head.

generally when people pay a business to preserve their body, it is done as quickly as possible after death. anything else would be some kind murder, yes?

no. because you are what you are. changing the smallest part ov yourself, even your foreskin, changes your whole self.

you become a different person; maybe better, maybe worse.

just sacrificed the length of my hair for increased ability to work in the heat and less itchy scalpness. totally worth it.

• Like 2

hehe hell yeah!!!! sacrifice my booger digging left hand pinky for an extra 2 inches growth on my penis!

ah hah, I'd sacrifice my lungs for the ability to be able to smoke durries and feel slightly dizzy and nauseous for a few minutes.

On topic, for question 1. Nope I wouldn't coz what if I did still need my body to run away from 'increasingly severe weather events'.

Question 2. tricky, kinda plays into whether my ability to access other states of reality is tied to intelligence. By intelligence I mean the kind that can be sort of measured by an IQ test. I'm not really sure if it is or not? Would having increased cognitive ability, read ability to think, just mean that I wanked on in my head more about the new world I was perceiving? That would be a real pain in the arse. So I'm going with nope, wouldn't change that either, and as others have said I would wish for unlimited wishes :lol: If everyone else is choosing big arse brains I'm sure they could work out how to increase my intelligence if it really did turn out to be better.

Generally though with all of you flopping about retarded in your smart chairs I'd be able to just cruise around eating all your plants and kicking you in the nuts :wink:

Hey Gang

In the second, you knew that in the future you wouldn't need to rely on the physical body as much, possibly at all.

cheers :lol:

Your second question comes into fruition when one makes the ultimate leap from this reality into the next...or in short....Diessmile.gif. No body required, free as a bird....something to look forward to all except the death bit. tongue.gif

Careful what you wish for ;)

In a reasonably accurate comparison, I've lost the full use of my legs; but now have the means to explore/do/have what I likely never could have otherwise. Most of the time it isn't a fair compensation, but some of the time it is. But who's to say what deserves compensation?

As far as the idea of this thread goes, I'd probably forfeit my sense of smell (no matter how tied in to taste and memory) to regain use of my legs and be able to go bushwalking and do cartwheels on a beach again.

Careful what you wish for ;)

In a reasonably accurate comparison, I've lost the full use of my legs; but now have the means to explore/do/have what I likely never could have otherwise. Most of the time it isn't a fair compensation, but some of the time it is. But who's to say what deserves compensation?

As far as the idea of this thread goes, I'd probably forfeit my sense of smell (no matter how tied in to taste and memory) to regain use of my legs and be able to go bushwalking and do cartwheels on a beach again.

What a bummer FancyPants...thats terrible news to hear. Hope your getting the best help and treatment possible. My wife is just about to move into a walker and it wont be much longer before she will be in a chair full time...We do take our legs for granted....I struggle to get around myself and to do all the gardening my brain wants to do cause of 2 ruptured discs that give me no end of trouble...some days I am confined to the house/couch/bed...but least mine does come good with hands full of pills. My advise to any one young and with out back pain is to take care of your back...once its fucked.....its fucked so to speak.

Hope things get better.......and keep exploring.....that will keep you going...well it does menewimprovedwinkonclear.gif

I feel bad for hypothetically kicking you all in the nuts now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8v8mgwuubU

This reminded me of this thread. Especially what Greg Stock says near the end. Is the earth sacrificing the biological so the human concious ca achieve the next step in evolution. Sucking resources from the earth seems to be reaping great rewards in the bigger picture. Weather or not 2012 will bring the next stage in reality is yet to be seen, the continuation of human evolution is inevitable. And what's to say that a human will always be biological?

My point is that i think the earth may have been given to humans and was always meant to be sacrificed in order for us to discover and maintain the things we need to survive whatever we'll face in the future. I mean it all sort of makes sense. What help does remaining sceptical do?

my left nut for a full head of hair!

All my hair for a third testicle.

Is the human race not one big testicle of the earth? I mean, with over 6 billion testicles you're bound to loose some hair :bootyshake::rolleyes:

Would gladly trade my sense of distrust for faith in the greater populous! But at least there's still places like the corroboree :)

Failing that I hereby offer both my testicles for set of gills. Seeing as I have no plans for offspring I find them kind of superfluous.

• Like 1