The Corroboree
Casuarius

Salvia Divinorium Seeds, Seedling germination in Papua

Edited by Casuarius
  • Like 7

Thank you very much! Can't wait to see how you flower them "naturally" i.e. outside!

Edited by Casuarius
  • Like 1

Plants as they get older can flower multiple times per year. Light cycle doesnt seem to matter or play any part. Well in PNG anyway the light cycle is very constant all year round because of closeness to equator.

Saludos

Interesting, what age is "older"? A friend of mine in a place where they are legal ;) has one that is around 6 months old max. He was intending to put it indoors sooner or later under a 12/12 light regime as per instructions on other websites to get it flowering.

Edited by IceCube

Method of pollination?

No doubt one of the blanks you are going to fill in when you not so tired from plant sexing :P

Excellent thread! Excellent pics! :worship:

Incredible Casuarius, you both have a way with plants and a climate well suited to growing them.

I was told from someone who has had Sally set seed for them, that the seedlings are weak and end up dying. I guess you do not have trouble with this?

Are your mother plants clones or from seed also?

What is the germination success rate of the seeds? Also, what did you plant them in? I can see lots of vermiculite.

Wow, that is very impressive, can't wait to see what those seedlings turn out like.

Have you had any plants flower while in pots?

As i think this is my only option for growing them unless i dig a hole in my greenhouse floor.

Nice photo of the flowers as well :wink:

Interesting, what age is "older"? A friend of mine in a place where they are legal ;) has one that is around 6 months old max. He was intending to put it indoors sooner or later under a 12/12 light regime as per instructions on other websites to get it flowering.

they have to be around 18 months old or so to flower, but sometimes even young cuttings flower. there is no need for indoor 12/12 regimes, as they flower easely if they are kept reasonably well. indoor sally culture would be a waste of resources, in my thinking.

hand pollinating has been recommanded for sally, to achive seed setting.

incredible pic's :wub: casuarius, i'm sure more sally seed's willbe produced in the right climat, thx to your info!!

Edited by Casuarius
  • Like 2

Excellent information on seed set and raising the seedlings. You're making amazing headway with this species! I wish you the best of luck with your selective breeding endeavours. The idea of Sally plants which set seed easily and prolifically is an appealing one and one that could mean the long-term survival or the species.

Have you ever tried grafting the seedlings onto other Salvia species?

So your mother plant is ten years old? How long do they live for?

Flowering is a sign that the plant is happy and healthy so if your plant isnt flowering then its either not happy/healthy or its to young - its as simple as that

Flowering is sometimes a stress response too, perhaps as a sign that the plant sees its death coming and goes into reproduction mode to pass on its genes while it has the chance. This may or may not be the case with Sally, but I thought I should point it out.

Edited by Casuarius

yep, it's the h/w strain what we got in oz.

i heard stories of a divinorum surviving a belgium winter outdoors,

and i tried the same in southern england, but the plant died over winter, but it survived the first few mild frosts!!

so they are tough, with cold, heat, moisture and dry conditions.

all the plants i have seen in glass or hot houses looked dreadfull, with one exeption, the big glasshouse in kew (but this glasshouse is totaly climat controlled).

they hate glasshouses which get very hot and moist, but i even say the same about viridis.

Excellent SD thread!

Flowering is sometimes a stress response too, perhaps as a sign that the plant sees its death coming and goes into reproduction mode to pass on its genes while it has the chance. This may or may not be the case with Sally, but I thought I should point it out.

ok, let's work that out in detail, because seemingly paradoxical views about plant culture details, don't mean that anybody is wrong.

what tripsis say's above is totaly true and applies aswell to salvia divinorum, but what casuarius and myselfe mean is that, she will not flower if she is starved and unhappy with her growing conditions.

meaning in this case the stress is probably to strong for her to even flower.

i have never seen unhappy, malnutrioned sallies flowering.

even a hemp plant will flower only like shit if it was not happy..

tripsis is totaly right is when we look at this pic from http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=26430&st=0 post 12 by btotlpost-70-0-33258000-1294879071_thumb.jpg

the plants in this photo are not stressed enough to flower!!

too much N will avoide flowering.

so i guess, if we say happy, it doesn't mean spoiled rotten, because a spoiled sally will be reluctant to flower.

but anyway, those plant in that pic might flower aswell without changing ther regime, but that doesn't mean all of the above has lost it's merits.

-plants.jpg

-plants.jpg

Edited by planthelper
  • Like 1

Edited by Casuarius

do they grow flowers from the tip like coleus or from the node like other plants?

WOW!

Thanks Casuarius :)

I like the idea that it may not be endemic to where we think?!....she still leaves me with the thought of Pyramids though.....

there is another person who managed to get seeds and his nick is sea mac, he's located close to sallies natural habitat, if i remebr correctly.

at this forum, we are very liberal with side tracking a topic, and i think going into detail about flowering was very beneficial to this thread. many people can't even get ther sallies to flower (so say many reports), so i think talking about flowering is totaly ok in this thread.

if we all would stick to this topics title, nobody else than sea mac, or daniel, could reply to this topic.....,

and that only if the would live in png.....

casuarius, i got no theory regarding seed setting with divinorum, obviously in the right climat they can do that on there own. and i do remeber some few reports (old thread started by happy cadaver) of people getting divinorum seeds, by hand pollinating.

what is another puzzle is, why do most seeds not germ?

maybe x pollinating with other strains than H/W would produce higher germinating rates.

but even those other strains are probably very, very closly related to the H/W strain.

we don't know why div seeds are almost impossible to germ, it could be cultural issues, or maybe many of the seeds are already born without the chance to grow.

i guess foreign pollination would produce seeds with higher germination rates.

casuarius, did you realy mean only 1 in 100 germs, or was it more figure of speech?

later edit to add some salvia seeds links:

http://www.members.cox.net/sageseeds/

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14734&st=0&p=139575&hl=+salvia%20+divinorum%20+seeds&fromsearch=1entry139575

Edited by planthelper

Edited by Casuarius

Has anyone tried using Gibberellic acid to increase the germ rates?

Edited by Casuarius

Place i got my BAP from has some, will PM you the details as i'm not sure what the deal is with posting sources.