The Corroboree
bit

The herd, start of 2011

The family have disowned us when it comes to moving time (hopefully later this year)

1) Bridgesii corner:

_MG_7068.jpg

2) Around the back:

_MG_7067.jpg

3) Yowie flower bud madness

_MG_7070.jpg

4) Mel's crosses waiting for new pots

_MG_7065.jpg

5) Scop - if you don't have scop yet, I highly recommend you get some. It has the biggest most fragrant flowers of all my Trichs which have flowered so far. And cuttings flower from under a meter. And it fruits easily - see two fruit on this already:

_MG_7064.jpg

6) Pachanoi doing it's thing

_MG_7061.jpg

The main herd - I will retake this pic later when the sun's moved around a bit so you can see more detail:

7) _MG_7059.jpg

Edited by bit

Amazing collection bit! How many plants do you estimate you have? You've got some sizeable E. grusonii there too. So many gorgeous plants...

beautiful plants bit..

Fucking awesome! I hope my yard looks similar one day!

your camera and the perspective you capture makes things shine electrically, really distinctive photos you take bit. The scop photo is really cool.

I'm guessing tripod action for some? else you're a solid hand :P

hah just saw ya, answered the solid hand question on one :D lucky you're not like the naked 3bay kettle seller.

bloody nice plants too.

absolutely stunning.

especially like the bridgesii, echinocactus and all the flowers.

very impressive :)

Beautiful and well varied colletion mate, you got some nice sized specimens there!

awesome group shot at the bottom bit, you certainly have a variety of cacti there....

Thanks all :) good times, I really thought I might have some land of my own to plant them before they got this big! :D

Two closer images of the main herd, as promised:

8)

_MG_7074.jpg

9)

_MG_7071.jpg

10) Grusonii - much liked

_MG_7079.jpg

11) Scopulicola - the beauty.

_MG_7078.jpg

12) Terscheckii - the beast.

_MG_7076.jpg

Edited by bit

Holy hell, this collection is simply amazing! There must be eons of cumulative years of growth there. Keep up the rad work. :D

thanks for the extra pics. love the tersheckii and golden barrel closeup :wub:

how old is the tersheckii?

and what is third from the front in the same picture? peruvian from martin?

Wow! Nice work bit. I don't even want to contemplate how you might go about moving a collection like that!

Looks like some stunning and unusual beasties in that collection.

Thanks all :)

In the terscheckii pic second is Peruvian from Martin, third is a rescue from a crazy old Asian lady who seemed intent on drowning her cacti which lived in the shade haha. I had no idea what it's true form was when I bought it in a very sorry state. It's now one of my faves, love the blue ones!

very impressive bit.

the size of some compared to their pots is very iteresting

and of course the crests :drool2:

oh, are you sure thats a terscheckii, it has such long central spines and doesnt look all that big, blah blah blah :P Just screwin wit ya man, nice plant, perus are sweet as too, very sexy indeed!!!

Awesome collection, photos and specimens. This is a special collection alright - one I can really connect with too.

your terschecki, which i see as the real deal, unlike PD's misIded one :innocent_n::lol: should make an entry in the terschecki/wendermanianus etc phenotype discussion

I would also love close ups of the non trichocerei, you have awesome large plants which is something you don't see in ethnocollections.

What's that in the 1st pic a ferocactus? species? What about other columnars?

Wow, thanks again guys :) I am quite proud of this collection - I have invested a lot of time and a fair whack of chash in it. I do believe it to be fairly unique in NZ but would love to hear from others with similar if they exist! I'm not a cacti+succulent society member as I just don't have time right now.

I'll attempt to answer some more questions now I'm writing on the pc instead of my phone heh -

Centipede: the terscheckii is around 20 years old (assuming this garden was planted all around the same time) - here it is when I purchased it - it was neglected/badly chewed and not doing so well as opposed to the cpm which was thriving. Unfortunately the gung-ho guy who dug it up before I could stop him just put a spade under it and ripped the roots right off so it came with just a stump of a tap root. Too me a long time to get it to root properly too, but it's come right in the last year and the new growth is quite awesome imo. Older users here will remember me gushing about the cpm find, I drove away with a car full (literally) of cuttings for $30 haha

big_cpm.jpg

Mutand/PD: Pics 5 and 9 - on the far right you can see the terscheckii too which gives you a better idea of the girth. I will take a better pic of it but it's not a pretty beast - I guess you'd say it has character heh.

In pic 1 the blurry one is a grusonii, but there is a ferrocactus in the forground of pic 2, and also in pic to to the right of the orange flowering thing (Rebutia tarvitaensis?) is a seed grown terscheckii which is quite different - sown at the same time as the ferrocactus in that pic (6-7 years old). I should get a closeup of that one too for shits and giggles to put in the terscheckii thread.

As for the columnars - they are mainly Trichocereus/Echinopsis. There are a few Pachycereus marginatus (white lines down ribs), Pilosocereus glaucochrous (blue with fluffly ribs), one very skinny one I've lost the id of (pic 2 far right), and some standard as Cleistocactus - that's about it really :)

Wow, you made that fero from seed? Only 6-7 y.o ? Cool

Thanks for replies

I wish I could sit on your patio and drink a beer with you. Stunning collection.

~Michael~

Edited by M S Smith

Did someone say beer?? :lol:

Thanks MS, mutant - beer's on me when you come to visit! I'll be sitting here separating a bazillion seedlings for the next few years, so don't be concerned if you don't get here for a while :D

Add me to the "Amazing collection" list. Truly awesome man, a credit to you.