The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Entheogenesis

Some tobbaco plant advice needed

Hey all

ive recently been growing a Rostica (spelling??) tobacco plant and was wondering a few things..

Has anyone had any experiance with this plant? Whats the best way to cure the leaves? Is it any good to smoke?

an ethno friend gave me some seeds and its been a great plant to watch grow! the flowers are really quite cool and smell like sweet vanilla. Is it even worth bothering consuming this plant? i heard the nicotine level is supposed to be huge.

Any piece of advice or just some general info would be welcomed and appreciated :)

Thanks

Yep do a search on Erowid and you could look at coffinnails.com (I think that's the addy) for curing etc.

It's Nicotiana rustica you're looking for and I'm pretty sure SAB has info on the home page otherwise you could google it anyways now you have the correct spelling :)

Ahh yeah, it's tobacco not tobbaco too

[ 23. March 2005, 20:57: Message edited by: mescalito ]

http://www.coffinails.com/forums/

be sure to check the curing link on the left border, and search the forums prior to asking questions... and dude that runs it is potently "anti-drug" - so be careful there, lol

umm nicotine isnt a drug now?

i like people liek that pretty funny...

"im anti drugs i hate all drugs i dont even take panadol! *takes anotehr sip of beer... rolls a ciggie*"

anyways i was told once that having and curing your own tabacco was a bit iffy... because it avoided the large tax on it and government didnt like it... is this not the case?

I've been experimenting with a few different methods of curing and the best I've found yet is pressing the leaves much like you'd press flowers.

Wait until the leaves start to turn yellow, pick a few and put them in a phone book with a heavy weight on it. Maybe put some brown paper either side if you're worried about the ink. Leave it for 3-4 weeks and you should get some nice brown (and very flat!) leaves that taste ok to smoke.

I'm no expert, and I'm still trying out some other teks, but this is the easiest and quickest way I've found to produce something that tastes ok and still has a good kick to it.

Also, in case you're not doing this already, pick off the flower buds as they start to form so your plants put their energy into growing larger leaves instead of flowers/seeds. If you let 1 plant flower it'll make more than enough seeds for the next season. Or if you only have 1 plant, just leave a few flowers and pick off the rest so you get bigger leaves.

[ 24. March 2005, 08:52: Message edited by: psybernaut ]

Yeah http://www.coffinails.com has the best tobby info. now I dont mean to hijack but..

quote:

"im anti drugs i hate all drugs i dont even take panadol! *takes anotehr sip of beer... rolls a ciggie*"

the best example of that is Harry J Enslinger from the documentary "Grass" narated by Woodie Harlson. Its the 1940's and ol`Harry is being interviewed for TV. Sitting there with a scotch and smoking a cigarette. HJE = Ol`harry INT = Interviewer

HJE - "Now the adict has a very sick mind, i cant stress that enough"

HJE take a drag

INT - "what does the "adict" do?"

HJE take a drag & sips drink

HJE - "Oh all sorts of nasty terrible things to er .. um get his habbit. Lie cheat steal.. um murder... and er .. id rather not go into it"

:D

LOL sorry about that :D

LOL Amulte, the hypocrisy of some...

Anyways, I think I'm gonna grow some more rustica myself this summer.

Enthe, the alkaloid content of this plant is quite high, in fact it can be dangerous if you're careless while harvesting. I know this from experience, I was collecting leaves with no gloves, not paying attention to the resin collecting on my hands. Before I knew it I had a very strong buzz with high heartrate, jittery, etc. It was without a doubt the strongest nicotine experience I've had.

Have fun!

smogs:

i was told once that having and curing your own tabacco was a bit iffy... because it avoided the large tax on it and government didnt like it... is this not the case?

This has been talked about before, yeah... not sure if a difinative word was given on growing for personal use in australia... it definatly is illegal to grow and sell without all the taxman shit. I do know in the US you can grow a field of the stuff for personal use legally. I grow it right out in the open with a cop living a few houses down- not a prob here.

quote:

anyways i was told once that having and curing your own tabacco was a bit iffy... because it avoided the large tax on it and government didnt like it... is this not the case?

I've heard they prosecute even harder than if you were growing the same number of MJ plants.

They are meant to be really tough on 'chop-chop', as blackmarket tobacco is called, because it is something the government would normally make tax money off.

If you're growing weed, the government were never going to see a cent of the money. (Actually, now with GST, that's a lie. Everyone pays tax, even my 4 year old brother with his pocket money.) But tobacco is something they COULD have been taxing you on, so they get very mad when they can't.

Just what I've heard, and seeing as how they would be vastly different crimes(one plant being legal, and one illegal) and prosecuted very differently, I'm sure you can't really compare the punishments.

Benzito:

They are meant to be really tough on 'chop-chop', as blackmarket tobacco is called

I've heard this of your gov as well (mine gets kinda pissed over it too), but homegrown for personal use has nothing to do with chop chop. Chop chop is tobacco Sold on the Black Market- something that by every right, according to the laws, should be taxed and regulated. Black market chop chop is clearly illegal, but what of tobacco grown for personal use? its like growing your own corn, anyone have legal references regarding it?

Ahhhh, I see. Of course, the difference between commercially viable quantities and personal use quantities is what defines the legality.

Same as difference between a crop, or a single plant, with weed.

That said, how many police officers would recognise tobacco plants? isn't tobacco something that comes in a packet?

Is Tobacco legal to grow in Australia all not? Some people tried to tell me it wasn’t but I had a few police visit me awhile back for a plant that definitely is not legal and those rats chopped the tops of my Sunflowers, yeh that’s right fucking Sunflowers half pulled my Tomato Plants out, just basically turned my garden to shit and left my Tobacco plants in perfect nick. Can anyone tell me why those piss head rats chopped off the tops off my Sunflowers I’d be a lot less angry about if I new there was a reason for it. Maybe those dopy fucks thought they where Poppies all something I dunno.

When will they leave as peaceful growers in piece and go get some criminals

:mad:

[ 24. March 2005, 14:41: Message edited by: jabez ]

Another curing method that I've found works quite well is: take a few (5-10) leaves and roll them up together into a tight roll. Leave them for a week or so, then unwrap and rewrap with the leaves that were on the inside on the outside. This way they all dry at about the same rate. I did this a few times over the course of three weeks and was left with some nice brown, moist, flavourful material. I don't smoke cigs but an occasional pipe of this stuff is very pleasant.

Q:

quote:

Can anyone tell me why those piss head rats chopped off the tops off my Sunflowers

A:

quote:

dopy fucks

i wouldnt trust cops to recognise a tobacco plant...

so can someone answer the question!

if anyone knows?

is it legal to grow tobacco for personal use?

thats right they wont recognise a tobacco plant, but they should a sunflower for what it is. i mean i know 2 year olds who can tell me what a sunflower looks like! WTF is their go?? i hear your plaight Jabez!

Salvi:

I thought almost everyone knew what tobacco plants look like?     :confused:  

Down south (US) perhaps, as a northerner when most folks see my tobacco they probably write it off as some oddball 6 foot tall chinese cabbage or something- in the northwest the average joe hasnt a clue what a tobacco plant looks like, and I'm sure its not just in the northwest.