The Corroboree
Sola

Native Ephedra Book

I would like to know more about the native Ephedra sp. especially books that help with identification

colour photos would be nice but just descriptions would be good too. I've searched for books like this

but have come up blank! I have access to journal articles but most I've found are interested in doing

something specific with the plant, not ID. If people know of any books that'd be helpful I'd be greatful.

Thanks

Sola

i wasnt aware of any native ephedra's? although have heard whispers of a couple of places they have naturalised..

I thought there was but I'm not sure, it's an area I'd like to read up on. I guess any Ephedra books

native or not would be good. Probably should've put it in a different forum if there isn't any natives?

Would you be willing to pm locations if any are close to become visually familiar with this species?

If your looking at ephedra for its medicinal value perhaps you could look into sida species instead they have similar alkaloid profiles and are a naturalised pest in most parts of australia

heres a link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sida_cordifolia

• Like 1

Thanks all, there really aren't many books on the subject. I have found a few things on the net

so have to keep trawling. That Sida plant does seem interesting, hadn't come across it before.

I did find an out of print book called 'The botany of Ephedra in relation to the yield of physiologically active substances'

it's done by the University of California Publications in Botany in 1928 by George Weidmann Groff but where to get one.

If any people know of other books that may be useful that'd be great, I'm going to track these down.

Cheers

i have asked the same question a while ago and was told, the old story of an australien native ephedra was a hoax.

but, i'm not totaly convinced there are no native ephedras, and that because ephedras are very ancient plants going back a longer periode than others, and have been found in most parts of the world.

sida is a very poor ephedra substitute taste wise, ephedra tea can be yummy and chewing ephedra is definately yummy, but the sidas taste bad.

i found sida tea to be pretty refreshing. but didnt snu mention in his book that a few studies on australian sida species didnt turn up any alkaloids of interest?

Thanks for responding, I'm still trying to track down some of those books so am relying on photos of specimens from the web. I've found something that might be Ephedra but maybe not native. Just because of where it's growing, I'm hesitant to put up a photo for ID because of it's status and the possible likelihood of damage to the plant, esp. if people recognise location (very public but prob. overlooked as just another plant). It is 2-3m tall, I would say a large bush, cylindrical leaves similar to Allocasuarina but without the usual segments. It has small yellow flowers on it atm. They look a little pea-like but not exactly. Maybe some close-up's might be okay. Let me know what you think.

There are no native ephedras and there are no confirmed location of any wild ones either. Someone spread a rumour some years ago that there are native epehdras at Pt Augusta in SA, but these turned out to be a native member of the broom family, containing spartein as the active constituent [yucky stimulant]. It was actually sold by some people as 'native ephedra' at a high price until i pointed out the high risk of someone on SSRIs ingesting some unaware of the severe consequences that could result from ingesting SSRIs and spartein. It's time to kill this rumour off once and for all before someone gets killed.

btw, that species looked like casuarina and had fabacea [pea] flowers, so seems like you are chasing the same scam.

• Like 1

Flowers look very similar, I'll try to get some pics. Have to wait with fingers crossed for berries though.

Hypothetically if it did have red berries....would these easily germinate say if it was dispersed by birds.

Or does this plant propagate itself via suckers or ground layering?

Edited by Sola

blush.gif I think what I've found is Cytisus sp. not even sure which type could even be Spartenum junceum, the introduced spanish broom.

It occurs throughout the mediterranean and now mediterranean areas. I got prematurely excited drool2.gif i think.

I'll keep my eyes peeled but no luck with this one I think.

I've included a photo.

Couldn't get photo's to work in the last post.

I have more but I think it should be enough for ID.

Sola

post-7432-44692_thumb.jpg

some sort of cytisus spp. for sure, the same happend to me a while ago...

i think scotch broom is the coloquial term and it has some psychoactivety, but rather not much appeal.

cytisine is an interesting alkaloid, so don't dismiss broom too quickly.

Thanks guys, it's a large bush so a couple of cuttings wouldn't be a problem.

Always good to hear from people with a bit mor knowledge.

Sola

I've tried several different methods of striking cutting but nothing has worked.

I'm thinking I'll have to wait for the seeds and as they're all flowering now they should be followed by fruits and seeds, I assume.

If anyone has more info on collection and germination of seed I'd be keen to know more.

Also if a cutting technique worked ITP that'd be good too.

Cheers

There are no native ephedras and there are no confirmed location of any wild ones either. Someone spread a rumour some years ago that there are native epehdras at Pt Augusta in SA, but these turned out to be a native member of the broom family, containing spartein as the active constituent [yucky stimulant]. It was actually sold by some people as 'native ephedra' at a high price until i pointed out the high risk of someone on SSRIs ingesting some unaware of the severe consequences that could result from ingesting SSRIs and spartein. It's time to kill this rumour off once and for all before someone gets killed.

btw, that species looked like casuarina and had fabacea [pea] flowers, so seems like you are chasing the same scam.

you said this b4 T!

I wouldn't mind a Sida plant or seeds if you have any spare?

I've been checking the plant/s in the photo and have seen no pods :unsure: do they take some time to bear

seeds or is it necessary to have male and female plants? I did find it unusual that there were no juvenile plants nearby. ATM there are one or two flowers left on

each plant but not a single pod. Is this normal?