The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
ogion

Nymphaea Caerulea Blue Lotus Season

they are flowering here right now. not sure if they actually grow in adelaide as they are tropical plants.

Dunno if it means much, but I saw some various nymphaea, not blue ones though, for sale at my local nursery. So I assume that there would be a chance they would grow here, unless of course the blue have different requirements than white and pink etc.

mmm I actually have 2 rather large fishy ponds (both about 2m x 5m). Can i get blue lotus at a nursery or is it a tricky one?

Check the SAB or Herbalistics webstores.

Obviously I'm not from either of these stores, but I'm pretty sure that Herbalistics wild-harvest their flowers, and I can't see the plants for sale on SAB anywhere.

Only dried flowers and extracts from either of those guys.

My apologies to SAB. I looked HEAPS hard, obviously.

:o

do they only flower once or can u harvest the flower so that a new one grows?

many thanx

aaron

In my experience growing in ponds, generally they will only send up a few flowers each summer.

But, they will lose all their leaves by the end of autumn and then re-grow from the corm/tuber at the start of spring. And you can have another harvest.

So, you would probably want to be growing a few plants if hoping to get more than one dose.

All this said: I have never actually grown the Nymphaea for this kind of use yet. Only recently tried the extract from herbalistics, and think I need to look into it!

cool thanx benzito!

i have just picked up a bathtub from hard rubbish and plant 2 grow quit a few diffrent types of nymphea and nelumbo!

i must try the extract soon!

aaron

Good luck to you Psycho. :)

Just remember that nymphaea need AT LEAST 4-6 hours of direct sunlight a day to really thrive, and especially if you expect them to flower. And if you are growing them in pots, they need to be repotted just when they start their new growth every spring, but before any leaves have made it to the surface. And they use a huge amount of nutrients, so re-fertilise at this time too.

A heavy clay based soil is the best thing to pot them in, mixed with maybe 20% sand.

I put a few teaspoons of osmocote in a tissue and bury it about ¾ of the way down in the soil. Some people also just use about 30-40% horse or cow manure in their potting mix, as fertiliser, instead.