The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Lord Mayonnaise

Urban Fungal Finds

so LM whens you're book coming out?

I hadn't considered a book. One problem is the naming the species, I'm not all confident the names I've put are correct. Some are purely blind guesses. But a coffee book for photo appeal is a great idea! Perhaps I'll make a draft in PDF and get your feedback.

thread of the year in my opinion! Can i guess the rough location? (north east of Rosanna/Bundoora or east of upwey??) and the camera a Canon Eos 450? You should come out to my block next year on the mountain.

I mainly hunt inner suburbs of Melbourne, hence the name of the thread. All the fungi from this thread were found no further than 12km of the city.

Pantax K200D with a Sigma 18-55mm lens is what I use.

I'll never say no to a hunt in the mountains, thanks for the offer. PM sent!

Now for some spring mushrooms!

Panaeolopsis sp. - possibly unsubscribed and possibly active - though no blue bruising was to be seen.

p3.jpg

_IGP9572copy.jpg

_IGP9597copy.jpg

_IGP9599copy.jpg

Bolbitius titubans.

p5-1.jpg

Marasmius oreades.

_IGP9341copycopy.jpg

_IGP9355copycopy.jpg

_IGP9368copycopy.jpg

Calvatia booniana.

_IGP9332copycopy.jpg

_IGP9335copycopy.jpg

cs_00.jpg

Pycnoporus coccineus.

cs_01.jpg

Pycnoporus coccineus is used medicinally in a variety of ways by Aborigines - "sucked to cure sore mouths", rubbed inside the mouths of babies with oral thrush, rubbed on sore lips. It has also been used as a teething ring.

cs_02.jpg

Pores baby!

cs_03.jpg

cs_04.jpg

cs_07.jpg

cs_05.jpg

Porus underside is much brighter than the topside.

cs_06.jpg

Two antibiotic compounds have been found in Pycnoporus coccineus.

cs_09.jpg

cs_08.jpg

Awesome photos LM biggrin.gif I've tried to take some for ID purposes and now know why mine weren't so

useful. Really interesting shots and good for IDnewimprovedwinkonclear.gif .

I think I'll use these as a guide, thanks for sharing.

Cruentomycena viscidocruenta (Ruby Bonnet).

mv_01.jpg

mv_06.jpg

mv_02.jpg

mv_03.jpg..........mv_05.jpg

mv_04.jpg

mv_07.jpg

Not sure about these ones. Thought they were subs at first glance. :lol:

Edit: Maybe Tricholoma sp.

mv_08.jpg

mv_09.jpg

mv_10.jpg

Edited by Lord Mayonnaise

holy shit man, your photos are soooo crisp! I definitely think a coffee table book is in order. I think you would find enough custom on this website and through word of mouth from there to friends who see the book in peoples houses to do a short run publish of your pictures. Do you think the guys over at the shroomery, (where I note you are also a member) are knowledgable enough to say for certain what the different types are that you might consider printing in such a book?

anyhow, no pressure or anything lolz I just think your talent is worth sharing bro.

peace

edit to add a link, there seems to be a few publishers that do short run printing... no prices as you need to let em know what you want... this one does online quotes: http://www.minipublishing.com.au/index.php?page=65

Edited by kindness

Hi kindness, thanks for the link. The only problem with my shots is they're too low in resolution. They're not suitable to enlarge more than A5 (in print) because I heavily crop my shots to achieve macro. Most coffee table books are printed in a large format and the photos in them have an incrediable amount of detail. Unfortunately my shots wouldn't pass as they'd turn out too pixelated. I'd need to upgrade my camera to higher megapixels and a get decent macro lens. So for now the web seems the best place for them.

More from a month or so ago...

Schizophyllum commune.

125400.jpg

125401.jpg

Panaeolina foenisecii.

125248.jpg

125249.jpg

Lycogala sp. in the plasmodial stage.

124109.jpg

124108.jpg

Considering how little rain we've had of late (although I was overseas for a few weeks so maybe I'm wrong) I'm shocked you are able to find fruit. Great job! Not only are you photos well composed but the species you are finding are just fantastic. If ever you'd like a companion on your excursions then PM me and I'd happily come along.

Oh and FYI, if you want to print a full A4 photo at 300dpi (300dpi is what printers demand) then you only need an image that is 2480 X 3508 pixel. I don't know how many megapixels your SLR is but it's looking sharp from here!

cs_00.jpg

May I ask where this is? Looks like a decent walking track!

Amazing photos Lord Mayo! Tell me, what sources do you sue to identify your finds? You obviously know a lot, including the identities of some very obscure species.

what camera you got lord mayo ???

what camera you got lord mayo ???

I just looked up the specs on your Pentax K200D Lord Mayo and I also did some maths. So IF you happened to want to do a full A4 image then that would have to be just under 9 megapixels. Your cam does 10.2 so you should be sweet. Maybe a little less cropping and a bit more macro is the order of the day.

Cheers,

tech head

Klip - the creek trial is in Mt Waverly. I was driving home after the Cactus & Succulent Show and saw a little opening from the side of the road. I just had to explore.

Hi Tripis, I use a field guide by Bruce Fuhrer which helps with half of my finds. The rest I give to Mushroom Observer and Shroomery as they seem to know their stuff. I've been learning as I go. As for the obscure ones, they surprise me too! ;)

NSF, a true macro lens would definitely be a solution. Some lens have the capacity to enlarge a grain of rice to the entire frame. They're quite costly so for now I can only dream.

Melbourne's had record breaking rain this summer. With that came lots of mushrooms! Here are some local finds from these past few weeks - from urban 'wastelands' around Melbourne haha!

Geastrum pectinatum.

cor_01.jpg

Lepiota sp.

cor_02.jpg

cor_03.jpg

Marasmius sp.

cor_04.jpg

cor_05.jpg

Yellow stainer: Agaricus sp.

cor_06.jpg

cor_07.jpg

Gymnopus sp.

cor_08.jpg

cor_09.jpg

cor_10.jpg

Klip - the creek trial is in Mt Waverly. I was driving home after the Cactus & Succulent Show and saw a little opening from the side of the road. I just had to explore.

Hi Tripis, I use a field guide by Bruce Fuhrer which helps with half of my finds. The rest I give to Mushroom Observer and Shroomery as they seem to know their stuff. I've been learning as I go. As for the obscure ones, they surprise me too! ;)

NSF, a true macro lens would definitely be a solution. Some lens have the capacity to enlarge a grain of rice to the entire frame. They're quite costly so for now I can only dream.

LM - tell me more please, not about the macro lens, but yes, they are cool and I now understand what you mean about needing one. They do the zooming to get the shroom to fill the frame.

Also, you say you that the trail was in Mt Waverley...I'm not trying to pry but could you be more specific please. I'm about to move to Mt Waverley (this weekend) and there's a similar reserve (no path beside it) right near me. So you've clearly got my excitement up and about but yeah, just off which road was this little creek and reserve?

Another bonus is I think someone is getting me Fuhrer's guide as a house warming present. Stop it!

The reliably red Cruentomycena viscidocruenta.

cor_11.jpg

Clitocybe sp. or Lyophyllum sp. Found growing in clumps.

cor_12.jpg

_igp0909.jpg

Psathyrella candolleana.

cor_14.jpg

cor_15.jpg

Coprinellus sp.

cor_16.jpg

Leucocoprinus birnbaumii.

cor_17.jpg

cor_18.jpg

Lepiota aspera - widespread but uncommon.

_igp0833.jpg

cor_19.jpg

Inocybe sp.

cor_20.jpg

cor_21.jpg

Leucoagaricus sp.

cor_22.jpg

Lycogala sp. - sticky, grey brown putty like inside.

cor_13.jpg

Unknown polypore with yellow spores.

cor_23.jpg

cor_24.jpg

Cortinarius sp.

cor_25.jpg

cor_26.jpg

Xerula sp.

cor_27.jpg

Hohenbuehelia petaloides.

cor_28.jpg

Excellent photos Lord Mayo! Love those red ruby ones.

That polypore is incredible.

Do you use a tripod LM?

I don't use a tripod but I certainly would like to, just haven't found one that gets really low to the ground. I mostly rest the camera on my camera bag for support. For ground-level shots I use sticks (or whatever I can find) and set the camera on self-timer.

For the Lepiota aspera shot I had the camera resting on the bag w/ self-timer. Shot at f29 for 1.3 secs, it's probably the longest exposure I've ever done.

Your pics are beautiful and certainly something to aspire to with my nature photography. Thank you for sharing them.

If you want to practice to see how they would look as a coffee-table book I do have a print-on-demand site with various sizes of photo-book available. I don't run a shop from that site but the make-your-own section is available if you want to test it out. I don't know the etiquette here yet for posting links such as this so perhaps drop me a pm if your interested?

Oh and don't forget it's easy to make up collages of your pics to bring up the image size.

Lord Mayonnaise: Do you use a separate remote flash in some of your photos? This image looks like you have used some kind of flash..

cor_24.jpg

beautiful photos LM

thanks once again for sharing.

cant wait for mushroom season to start in NSW, can feel the cool nights starting already :)

OK I've got a tripod now, no more battling with the blur!

Thanks Acceptance, I'll consider it. :)

Klip, I use a reflector. Silver one side and white on the other. If there's enough light I'll use it instead of the flash as natural light is softer.

Example with/without:

post-7115-0-32838700-1301282329_thumb.jp post-7115-0-95726700-1301282334_thumb.jp

post-7115-0-32838700-1301282329_thumb.jpg

post-7115-0-95726700-1301282334_thumb.jpg

post-7115-0-32838700-1301282329_thumb.jpg

post-7115-0-95726700-1301282334_thumb.jpg

Hey LM,

Well I hit up one of your spots, seeing as I'm so close to it, and I found a few species...I clearly don't possess many camera skills though.

Still, any help with IDs would be hugely appreciated.

DSC02825.jpg

DSC02822.jpg

It looks different in the dry

DSC02819.jpg

DSC02818.jpg

DSC02816.jpg

DSC02814.jpg

DSC02812.jpg

DSC02809.jpg

DSC02805.jpg

What tree debris are those last ones growing in?