The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Zen Peddler

Moving back to the hills

Imn moving back up to the hills. Not quite where I used to live, but somewhere similar, perhaps better.

Five years of inner city living has busted my balls - im over lattes, four-wheel-driving wankers, renovations, construction, road rage, exhaust fumes and fuckers in your face everywhere you go...

Sounds like a plan!

Inner city really started losing it's appeal way back in the 90's.

With the price of property going through the roof, city living seems lose even more appeal. When you say "hills", do you mean small country town or a bit more back-woods?

or do you mean like Sydney city out skirts? Seven hills, Box hill, etc You will probably still have to deal with wankers regardless of where you move too!

moving out ov the city was the best move we ever made.

damn fucking hard to find any pills out here; but it's nice to have a garden...

fuck yeah i'm doing the same in a month..

i've had my time in the big shity & it was fun.. i always wanted to know what it was like to live there, but i'm a bush kid at heart & always will be to the core.

sometimes i think people must be seriously dumb to want to live in the city their whole lives..

i met a guy in sydney once who had never been out of the city EVER! he was close to 40.. he told me he went to the mountains once... i asked him where he went & he said he once visited a friend in penrith! lol

i don't know about others but i don't trust someone who's never been out of the city ever..

Thanks for the replies. Im talking Melbourne - I used to live up at Eltham/plenty direction after I finished uni in the area - moved into inner west then inner north - now moving up to the Dandenongs. Mountain greenery and mountain air - and walks through mountain ash listening to the cries of yellow-tailed black cockatoos sounds pretty fucking awesome to me.

Living in the bush or the mountains is all well and good and a great lifestyle, I don't think most people living in cities would argue that, but most probably have no choice, as we all have to work and let's face it, it's never easy to make a decent income out in the sticks...personally I love cities and nature, bouncing around between both, the city for money and driving out to the hills for recreation seems to help maintain that semi healthy balance.

Even after many years out in the quite parts of the world, your mind will often wonder what's going on in the city and then you find yourself wanting to return...it's human nature to be unsatisfied.

i'd be out of brisbane in a flash if i could get a decent job out there.

it's never easy to make a decent income out in the sticks

it totally depends on what you do.

Our town ov 2500 only has one electrician & he's kept so busy that he still hasn't sent us a bill for the re-wiring he did for us in August!!

Plumbers & builders are also in high demand, but then seeing as this is the age ov the net, i'd have thought there were plenty ov office jobs that could be done largely from a country home base.

edit--also there's always that staple ov the country, farming.

i know it's not the easiest ov lifestyles, but if you have some money to invest & pick the right area, there's still money to be made.

Edited by nabraxas

Good for you Bluegreenie. The moment i left the city my life did a fucking 180 and now things are great. I wake up listening to 774 and the traffic reports and shit and laugh (honestly i do). Chiral brought up a good point about it being hard to find decent work in rural areas. Depends on what line of work you're in i guess.

I'm looking at drug and alcohol counselling as a career and it seems like a great deal of work would be in suburban/city areas. I don't mind the smaller cities (Ballarat, Geelong, bendigo etc etc) so finding work there would be good. Those sort of cities are not so big as to do your head in and small enough you can get out to the bush easy.

cheers

i recall seeing ads for drug and alcohol counselors routinely in the NT.