The Corroboree
Quill

My first fruits

The title pretty much says it all but here are a few crappy pics of the first fruits that my cacti have put out. Just wanted to show you lot.

My link

My link

cool!! were yours self pollinated??? hopefully i will get some fruitage soon also, as i have just had my first flowers!!! even tho i cheated by grafting the seedlings 2 yrs ago its a buzz to finally get flowers thinking i was not going to get them this year :rolleyes:post-4908-126674934029_thumb.jpg

000_0993.JPG

000_0993.JPG

Yeah they self pollinated. The fruit came as a bit of a surprise. When they first shown signs I didn't really believe it, I thought that i had convinced myself. But then a day later I saw a white matchstick sized bump sticking its head out of the fuzz, I was psyched. Then I came back to every hour or so and I could see a change in the size of it, This has been a really positive experience. I'm like a kid in a candy store. :lol:

Nice plant man. I didnt get to see mine flower :ana: I especially like that pup off the side. cheers for sharing

yep i just got my first willi fruit after returning from holiday. i brought it inside but cockroaches (?) ate the fruit

and the seeds were deposited on top of the cactus.

but my very first cactus fruit was a turb cross that i recently made from plants that are only about 2cm wide!

cockroaches? :uzi::ana:

fruit from a2cm wide turb? nice work flora

and happy fruiting everyone

at least the cockroaches left the seeds for you flora how considerate of them :P, im gonna have to watch out for the ants carrying off the seeds , i heard they love em, and they have moved into a few of my pots , dont know if this is a bad thing tho....my first fruits were epiphylum cross which took a year to ripen, but its all good practice...

If you're worried about ants stealing your fruit place the plant on a brick or large stone in the middle of a water filled saucer. Ants will not cross water, not even for that sweet tasting fruit.

Just removed the seeds from the dried up fruit. 8 seeds. Ate the hot pink shrivelled skin - mmmmmmmm very sweet!

Just removed the seeds from the dried up fruit. 8 seeds. Ate the hot pink shrivelled skin - mmmmmmmm very sweet!

Pink shrivelled skin hey ! hairs in your teeth?

well i was thinking more Vagina really, but make what ya want of it . :innocent_n:

Congrats :D

How does one know when to harvest such fruit? :D

Congrats :D

Good question, I'm sure someone else more experienced in this has a better idea, but I kinda brushed it lightly with my thumb to test how attached it still was, first one came out one day and the other the next.

And to caapi, there were a few white hairs attached to the pink skin but I kinda worked around them and ate it like a pro. Too easy? :wink:

AFAIK as soon as the fruit pokes its head out the seeds are ready to go. best to pick straight away otherwise they might get stolen by a few different critters that seem to like the fruit

Good question, I'm sure someone else more experienced in this has a better idea, but I kinda brushed it lightly with my thumb to test how attached it still was, first one came out one day and the other the next.

And to caapi, there were a few white hairs attached to the pink skin but I kinda worked around them and ate it like a pro. Too easy? :wink:

LoL ! :wink:

loph fruits are so sweet! i always gobble up the berries after ive removed the seed.

i have these teeny tiny ants that eat the fruit, its okay cos they only eat the fruit leaving me fresh clean seed.

its been a great year for me in regards to my lophs producing seed, nothing better than watching your own home grown loph seedlings pop up!!

alas for the life of me i CANNOT graft, ive given up on grafting all together. u can either do it or u cant i guess.

nice plants : )

loph fruits are so sweet! i always gobble up the berries after ive removed the seed.

i have these teeny tiny ants that eat the fruit, its okay cos they only eat the fruit leaving me fresh clean seed.

its been a great year for me in regards to my lophs producing seed, nothing better than watching your own home grown loph seedlings pop up!!

alas for the life of me i CANNOT graft, ive given up on grafting all together. u can either do it or u cant i guess.

nice plants : )

i planted the seeds yesterday afternoon. I really want to see the second generation. Haven't had much luck with seeds.

I finally got some time with my cacti last night after a festival. To my surprise my loph had put out another fruit. Is this weird? First 2 fruits poking out on 18th of feb, then finding one dried fruit last night. Is this a sign of health, or poor health? or of nothing in particular?

With luck ill see some flowers in 2011 2012 from my 2 larger 2yo lophs on their own roots, my grafted seedlings will have caught up to them by next season

incognito

alas for the life of me i CANNOT graft, ive given up on grafting all together

M8 if i can graft im sure anyone can

Make some Pereskiopsis stakes & Impale some seedlings on them, i just cut a slot just off center into the bottom of my loph's for the peres stake to slip into & have a slightly higher chance of the vascular system to overlap

i held the scion on with a TallyHo paper (so tape didnt stick to scion) & porous bandage tape

Edited by mac

So far the seeds have had a 75% success rate, I was psyched when the first turned up its whitegreen head, but to see more of its brothers and sisters coming up :lol: