The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Torsten

Poppy seeds

hmmm well speaking of buccal contact..and nutmeg..that reminds me..perhaps the simplest 'indian' treatment for insomnia, using nutmeg, is a small amount made into a paste and applied to the outside of the eyelids. interesting how certain things are specific; temples, eyelids, mid eyebrows, sides of the feet

[ 01. October 2004, 21:43: Message edited by: coin ]

hebrew:

once at a protest in WA there was this dick of a guy who was making batches of the stuff all the time, but he was so stupid he didn;t care what he did with the seeds. he scattered them throughout the camp site which in my opinion is careless. it was a pristine old growth forest and he was distributing a weed into it

P somniferum is a cultivated plant that doesnt compete well in the wild. Seed might come up but forest soils dont suit and itd die out quickly

All published sources i have read deny any wild or feral populations exist

except those in very close proximity to fields where seed spillage replenishes them.

If you find P somni in the wild first bet would be that its someones intentional crop

I have been told of 3 populations of supposed persistent stands in Australia and have 2

I am missing the one from Taree

I can only assume they are P setigerum instead the small podded opium poppy.I havent been able to grow out yet - "Saffala" Gold fields poppy, "brown dog" and the already labelled purple setigerum, plus the Taree poppy make up the known collections

Looks very similar but has on average double the number of heads and is smaller and it also contains morphine being the closets related species to P somniferum but with twice the number of chromosomes. P somni and P setigerum can be hybridised to give intermediate F1's in pod number, size amd morphine content

Reporst from seed donator have in 1 case been alongside a report that the latex is quite good though the pods are small (expected if either wild or setigerum)

its assumed they came from a common ancestor and that P setigerum is not the parent species of P somni

I do have very lmited seed of P glaucum one species suggested as an ancestor of P somni

No idea whats in it

Its up for grabs by a few people in southern Australia who want to take it on for the seedring

P setigerum is mostly found in NSW though i think i saw it in SA once

It can persist as a weed near Railway tracks and Road verges

anyway...

coming to a seedring near you

[ 01. October 2004, 23:11: Message edited by: reville ]

coming to a seedring near you

cool, can't wait.

To poppies not growing in forests:

probably true in Australia, but I have read reports from germany for example where they grow well in forests.

One reason a forest may not be good for poppies is the light factor.

they really do need a lot of sun, and if you have them growing in half shade or so, they may never flower.

also if kept to wet, they will rot.

I can imagine, that a clearing in a forest would be a great spot, as long as you help them through the initial small stage.

Once they are bigger they don't need much watering.

reville:

They'd be wrong then. There are at least three in Australia. I understand at least two of these are remnants around former gold mining towns which had substantial populations of Chinese workers. SWIM visited one ten years ago and they were still going strong

DL - I forget what SWIM means

I think i know who you mean and i have a sample of one population of those seeds in the seedring

under the name of the 'Saffala" goldfields poppy

I havent been able to grow it out to confirm its identity however its quite possible that its actually P setigerum

the larger number of smaller pods and the red or purple flowers (forget which) description from the source keeps the posibility alive it is setigerum

They also said they were fairly strong

This isnt a problem either as setigerum does contain significant levels of active alkaloids in some cases comparable to somniferum.

So we cant really tell until they get grown out and i cant do that where i am

This variety and other wild collections like it are definitley one of my higher seedring priorites

reville:

DL - I forget what SWIM means

Someone Who Isn't Me :)

i have a sample of one population of those seeds in the seedring

under the name of the 'Saffala" goldfields poppy

It's spelt Sofala- after the town. Can't remember the colour of them. I thought they were white, but I may be mixing the memory up with one of the other populations

Purple poppies around Taree are flowering right now. So much for "no wild populations". But even better, I saw some around Coffs Harbour as well.

There's also a patch of feralised white ones that escaped from a cottage garden south of lismore about 6 years ago. The weedy keeps spraying them, but they just keep spreading each year.

Shit! I thought it was Some Won I Met

Rev as you prolly know there's gold diggings everywhere here,100m from my house and in fact I have a nice wild specie flowering atm which looks to be P.rhoeas(same as settigerum?) with striking orangey red flowers.They pop up every year around the yard :)

Damn I wish I had a digi cam!

Like some seed?

Darklight:

Darklight:

They'd be wrong then. There are at least three in Australia. I understand at least two of these are remnants around former gold mining towns which had substantial populations of Chinese workers. SWIM visited one ten years ago and they were still going strong DL, i don't understand why you don't agree with reville since you are saying yourself that there is or there was some humans close to the spot at a time ?

poppy could survive in the wild without human during a certain time, but it will not propagate or colonised new spots.

the more "wild" poppy i found here was close to an old presbytery (used to decrease libido), it was cultivated 60 years before and there was just a few survivor with several little pods.

[ 08. October 2004, 08:27: Message edited by: VIN'S ]

Well Pictures would be nice

and seed even better

I would love for the texts to be proven wrong but first we have to ensure we are actually dealing with P somni not P seti - which are common weeds in the right range

T - i would really like some Taree poppy seed for the seedring. Can it be arranged?

DL - Thanks for the spelling. That does wonders for record keeping.

Mescalito - yes please. seed , some dried plant material pref with petal included and pics if you can, digi or not.

Where possible id like to include pictures of species in the seedring files. For back reference.

Damn I wish I had a digi cam!

Like some seed

get a $50 digi cam from ebay, that is $35 for a new digital pen camera, and $15 for postage.

Works very well, even as pc camera.

Just no microphone...

reville:

DL - Thanks for the spelling. That does wonders for record keeping.

You know me, normally I wouldn't bother, but the strain name has historic links with the locality

Um, Vins? I was disagreeing with Rev- the gold mining towns I spoke of were booming two centuries ago and have significantly declined in population since: these plants are very old escapees :)

Done.

Mescalito - could I please get some of this seed too.

Rev - the taree plants are the common purplish white mauvey variety, so I think they are somniferum. Sadly 99.99% of the population I know in Taree has been wiped out due to roadworks. Well, at least for this year, as they are bound to love all that freshly disturbed ground. They only just started flowering and the 2 pods I got are totally unripe. Hopefully I'll be down that way again in a few weeks.

Darklight:

You know me, normally I wouldn't bother, but the strain name has historic links with the locality

I know. I thinks its very important and im glad you did

Darklight:

these plants are very old escapees    :)  

Possibly. Only possibly that old

Its hard to say they havent escaped more recently - by that i mean anywhere from 15 to 100+ years

I imagine itd be quite difficult to determine their true origin - unless there are records of what the poppies of the day looked like

So far as i know China didnt grow much themselves hence the problem with the reversal of trading balance between East and west when mass opium addiction was encouraged.

Even if planted by chinese then where did these come from? A white colonists garden, their spice rack or a pocket full of seeds brought somehow from the American goldfields

what a mystery...

[ 08. October 2004, 23:45: Message edited by: reville ]

T-Sure :)

There's also a local seti(purple)growing about three feet from it so I'll collect what I can from both(and spread some as well :D )