The Corroboree
matriarch

Into the wild

I've always been a pretty big individual and sometimes get upset inside myself for they way society and people act and think i.e how they can be so cruel to people and uncaring for the environment etc, I've also always been a pretty outdoorsy person from growing up on a farm and regularly hiking camping etc. I'm not sure if that has a lot to do with it but after watching 'Into the wild' I was totally moved and captivated by the though of what he did, and have set myself the goal at some point in life to just take some time out from society and live self sufficient on say an island or in the bush.

I think by doing this

- I wouldn't feel so dependent on our modern world

- I would learn more about myself

- I would see so much more beauty in nature instead of taking it for granted

- I would ultimately become a much more interesting and better person.

I am currently a student and love the course that I am doing so I see this happening some time in the future, yet I still have the urge to get away from it all now and again so have been thinking of a journey.

I live now in Sydney for my course, and though that I would like to build myself a kayak which I have always had the urge to do and is a goal of mine (I have the plans) and would like to kayak over a week or so from further up the Hawksbury river down back to Sydney (maybe Windsor?) I'll see how it goes and need to find a place to build the kayak etc but I definitely have the urge bad...\

Anyone else moved by this movie?

Anyone taken the steps to get away from everything for a while - how was it?

Anyone been down the Hawksbury recently?

Ive always had that same urge, planted in the back of my mind since i was a kid. Its almost like its my destiny to do this kind of thing. I will start by walking the bibbulmun track,here in W.A.

This takes about a month by foot and will be a good challenge. It is my life dream to walk the Inca trail, so i will be doing everything and anything to get me and the mrs over to Peru as well.

Stinkmeat from this forum is in Peru at the moment and is loving it, he did Inca trail and he has all these mad photos he has to post ASAP! lots of mad cacti pics too.

Lucky bugger ! :o

you might not have a choice in a few years. i'd get studying bush foods & medicines & survival techs if i were you. my instinct tells me & i've been told in person by a very respected environmental & social authority (he looked me straight in the eye without flinching) that without a doubt our civilization will have collapsed within the next few decades. how this will happen, the form the process will take & what this means is another story though.

it's a nice fantasy, & one i've had my whole life... & still do. the fact is, it's probably pretty likely that in many of our lifetimes we're gonna be living (or dying) in something like a post appocolyptic wilderness.

when trying to consider what surviving through that may mean & without the option of coming back to our cushy lifestyles whenever we want, the fantasy kind looses a bit of it's pazazz...

unless that is, you're actually really serious about doing whatever it takes to survive & you (after extremely serious honest scrutiny) are ready to say goodbye to everything you take for granted for ever

and don't eat the poison berries or you will die lol

you might not have a choice in a few years. i'd get studying bush foods & medicines & survival techs if i were you. my instinct tells me & i've been told in person by a very respected environmental & social authority (he looked me straight in the eye without flinching) that without a doubt our civilization will have collapsed within the next few decades. how this will happen, the form the process will take & what this means is another story though.

it's a nice fantasy, & one i've had my whole life... & still do. the fact is, it's probably pretty likely that in many of our lifetimes we're gonna be living (or dying) in something like a post appocolyptic wilderness.

when trying to consider what surviving through that may mean & without the option of coming back to our cushy lifestyles whenever we want, the fantasy kind looses a bit of it's pazazz...

unless that is, you're actually really serious about doing whatever it takes to survive & you (after extremely serious honest scrutiny) are ready to say goodbye to everything you take for granted for ever

totally agree there xodarap but to me is more like 3 years to go, the mass depopulation planned by the elite will see many millions dead and sick by manufactured virals,haarp,world war 3,falseflag terror,a total police state,microchipping, quarrantine lock down and forced vaccinations which cause death and or sterility ...bring it on , i already done my time in the bush gunning it and i got me mad max suit dusted off ...as long as no one hurts my cacti i be okay

Totally...i think i am far to feeble and weak minded a person to live on my own in the "wilderness" like that guy did...that was just very far out...i would hurry back to the road within like 3 days ...i'm sure...

on a similar note however i will mention that i have been planning a similar voyage of discovery...into the depth of the prison communities...i really really really am curious as to what life is like on the inside...

i see one pouch of tobacco a week as a brilliant thing, free gym and detox programs and a whole bunch of time to process and become a real master of the anal clench technique...

i also think it wil give me heaps of time to read and relax and ill rpolly meet some new friends...ahhaha

i know there was a company doing ticket booking for some of the prisons in austrlia...you just have to work for them for a short while and your basically guarranteed a spot on the trip. im planning on doin it somtime at the end of this year or start of next....unless the plan falls through and i end up for some reason unable to participate...

all in all im really excited and sooo glad i found out about this program...if any one wants the contact details of the company ill be sureto provide them...just send me a PM....

love ya...get into the wild.

the mass depopulation planned by the elite will see many millions dead and sick by manufactured virals,haarp,world war 3,falseflag terror,a total police state,microchipping, quarrantine lock down and forced vaccinations which cause death and or sterility

i thought 'the elite' were actually more concerned with population growth to feed the world economy, rather than mass de-population. after all the more people you have available to exploit, the more powerful & rich you become.

also, the people are much more easy to control if the population is high & they exist within a single cohesive & easily manipulatable one world order.

smaller populations infer that separate small groups of people will exist independently of eachother in many different areas & will function with their own separate hierarchies & power struggles. the autonomy of separate groups like that will mean they would be impossible to control by the global elite. this will mean that the power structures that exist in the world right now will dissolve & 'the elite' will cease to exist. seems a little counter-productive no?

there are a trillion scenario's as to how the imminent process of change will occur, but to me, that one isn't all that plausible...

only if eddie vedder provides the soundtrack

only if eddie vedder provides the soundtrack

hahaha fuckin classic

I've always been a pretty big individual and sometimes get upset inside myself for they way society and people act and think i.e how they can be so cruel to people and uncaring for the environment etc, I've also always been a pretty outdoorsy person from growing up on a farm and regularly hiking camping etc. I'm not sure if that has a lot to do with it but after watching 'Into the wild' I was totally moved and captivated by the though of what he did, and have set myself the goal at some point in life to just take some time out from society and live self sufficient on say an island or in the bush.

I think by doing this

- I wouldn't feel so dependent on our modern world

- I would learn more about myself

- I would see so much more beauty in nature instead of taking it for granted

- I would ultimately become a much more interesting and better person.

I am currently a student and love the course that I am doing so I see this happening some time in the future, yet I still have the urge to get away from it all now and again so have been thinking of a journey.

I live now in Sydney for my course, and though that I would like to build myself a kayak which I have always had the urge to do and is a goal of mine (I have the plans) and would like to kayak over a week or so from further up the Hawksbury river down back to Sydney (maybe Windsor?) I'll see how it goes and need to find a place to build the kayak etc but I definitely have the urge bad...\

I'm currently in a very similar situation (still kinda surprised I'm studying, all things considered). I remember back in high school I decided that going bush and living in a tree was well and truly the best way to live. I still do. One of my only problems with doing so (aside from not being man enough) is that part of me feels inclined to hang around and do something to contribute to society/fellow man. Despite being the most environmentally freindly, possibly most ethical thing to do, living alone in the bush almost seems a selfish thing to do, if you know what I mean.

Actually, I remember in early primary school (kindy or year one) my best friend and I had planned to run away and live in the bush by ourselves, only coming back home to get food/water. It's obviously not quite the same, but it seems that wanting to get back with nature in the traditional sense is a latent desire in most of us.

Ah, the simple life.

It most definitely seems like a good coming-of-age practice, though. A highschool friend of mine recently moved to somewhere near Windsor, west of Sydney with his girlfriend. They're apparently living in a tent on public land, though I haven't spoken to him about it nor visited yet. Very interested in seeing how his experiment goes.

Totally...i think i am far to feeble and weak minded a person to live on my own in the "wilderness" like that guy did...that was just very far out...i would hurry back to the road within like 3 days ...i'm sure...

on a similar note however i will mention that i have been planning a similar voyage of discovery...into the depth of the prison communities...i really really really am curious as to what life is like on the inside...

love ya...get into the wild.

Interesting. Keep us posted.

Edited by JDanger

I will start by walking the bibbulmun track,here in W.A.

This takes about a month by foot and will be a good challenge.

mate respect if you do it, 1000kms or close to is what your looking at if you do the whole thing. you probably want bragging rights for the rest of your life so dont cop out and do a section like most people who say " i did the bibbulmun track". Doing the whole thing however would take a very very very special effort.

simple logistics points towards a 7 week walk if your serious. at that rate you would cover a touch over 20km's by foot every single day, no rest days and carrying a probably very large backpack. this is not factoring in injury ie blisters, sightseeing, unforseen circumstance or tiredness. if wishing to complete in 4 weeks 36kms pers day is your target. basically medium walking pace 10 hours a day for 28 days in a row.

i hope you do it and one day i do too

for me cape to cape down south at margs is a mini trek i wish to achieve within the next few years which i calculate to be a seven dayer if i estimate in some soft sand walking.

If you liked the Movie you should look at the factual documentary, its really interesting. And just as good in its own way.

Terra Incognita Films.

http://tifilms.com/wild/call_intro.htm

PS. There were no poisonous berries, and he had a map!

I think you should support the doco, I think it cost me 3 pints of beer.

you might not have a choice in a few years. i'd get studying bush foods & medicines & survival techs if i were you. my instinct tells me..

We definitely won't have a choice. No idea when but when it happens it will be a sudden collapse and the better prepared we all are the more chance we have to survive.

Anyone else moved by this movie?

Anyone taken the steps to get away from everything for a while - how was it?

Anyone been down the Hawksbury recently?

Yes, yes and no :)

for me cape to cape down south at margs is a mini trek i wish to achieve within the next few years which i calculate to be a seven dayer if i estimate in some soft sand walking.

I did the cape to cape walk a few years ago. It took about 6 days, doing on average 20kms per day. Was a great walk. Some parts were difficult (10+km of soft sand beach walking with a heavy pack) but when you finish it feels like you could take on the world.

The bibbulmun is a huge jump above the cape to cape. Just carrying enough water and food would be a challange. It would be nice to research some bush foods to supplement the food you take in your pack

i don't think i could go totaly bush, but i have quite some experience tracking long distance, and those adventures are some of the best memories of my life.

but for me its already exciting just to go for a quick bushwalk as long as there are not many other people around.

so i guess i am aswell lopking for solitude.

but what i mean is, this feeling one gets if you are in the wild, the feeling of being one with nature, the wonder of natures beauty, and the realisation that i left all my troubles back home, and they did not follow me into the bush.

i know this thread is about real tracking and feeding youreself directly from nature, but my point is, that i can achive some of the benefits of "going bush" even if i am out in nature only for two hours, as long as i don't run into anybody human, hehe!!

post-4908-1258591166_thumb.jpg

i thought 'the elite' were actually more concerned with population growth to feed the world economy, rather than mass de-population. after all the more people you have available to exploit, the more powerful & rich you become.

also, the people are much more easy to control if the population is high & they exist within a single cohesive & easily manipulatable one world order.

smaller populations infer that separate small groups of people will exist independently of eachother in many different areas & will function with their own separate hierarchies & power struggles. the autonomy of separate groups like that will mean they would be impossible to control by the global elite. this will mean that the power structures that exist in the world right now will dissolve & 'the elite' will cease to exist. seems a little counter-productive no?

there are a trillion scenario's as to how the imminent process of change will occur, but to me, that one isn't all that plausible...

They print money out of thin air , i dont think they need our help to do that , any way you wont be told the truth on mainstrem media it is owned by them, ....heres what prince phillip reckons...and this was an open statement , can you imagine the discussions that go on behind closed doors? Brace your selves peeps pneumonic plague aerially sprayed is coming to a town near you. http://www.propagandamatrix.com/prince.html

revolution_wood69.jpg

revolution_wood69.jpg

In regards to one of matriarchs initial questions about the actual movie "Into the wild" i watched it for the first time last night on television. Its the type of movie i really dig and it had everything going for it but for some reason i found it to be really superficial and pointless.

I really hated the way they souped up everything the main character did to be god like, extraordiary and glowing with light, based on a true story i really give him credit for shunning lifes fake fabric and following his heart and of course the desire to be really free, which is why im writing this to a community who value that general ideal.

But in the process he shuns his family who at worst brought him up to be the free thinker he was and gave him security, money and education, left his sister behind forever who idolised him, didnt even bother to make contact even though he knew he should but selfishly didnt think about anyone but himself. Then along the way he ditches friends, discards the love of his life and breaks a good old mans heart. He burns all his money symbolically before his journey but the ends up working flipping burgers to get money to go to Alaska, reeks of stupidity.

If you take out all light and love connotations of this movie which were overtly dramatised its a story about a kid with selfish desires, he ditches his family and friends like a cigarrette butt, uses unsuspecting people to transport himself to his personal goal, whe they are not needed anymore he disposes of them too, contradicts his own morals by working for money anyway after stating he shunned money and then goes into a unresearched and extreme, isolated enviroment with a few kgs of rice, expecting his dreams to look after him. Everybody warned him it was going to happen and it did. So he runs out of food, starves himself to death, spends his final days wishing he was back in society hugging his innocent ditched parents and realising true freedom comes not from looking at a mountain or not paying bills but from emotional security and sharing good experiences with those closest to you.

So he dies. Alone, starving...unprepared. This trully defines the realist vs dreamer mentality. The ironic part of the story which wasnt shown was at the end when he was blocked in by the fast flowing seasonal river, he didnt even bother to explore a few kms down river where there was a crossing.

So yes, selfish kid, endearing kid absolutely nauseating movie and a lesson for dreamers all over the world. Follow your dreams and screw everybody elses. I believe he went there either to die or was dumb enough to think he wasnt going to die. Whatever ideas i had to escape reality have been extiguished via this movie and, what it set out to be it achieved the opposite.

Follow your dreams but once again speaking from reality be prepared to have a nightmare.

Everybody warned him it was going to happen and it did. So he runs out of food, starves himself to death, spends his final days wishing he was back in society hugging his innocent ditched parents and realising true freedom comes not from looking at a mountain or not paying bills but from emotional security and sharing good experiences with those closest to you.

Review invalidated...

Seeing as this topic was bumped...

I have very recently been planning my own exodus from 'civilization'. I have become highly disillusioned with the state of the nation - the unimpeded indoctrination of the people, the subduction of our rights, the by-the-books theft of our ideas and properties. Greed sickens me, and I wish to avoid it.

So what I am planning is to progressively live more and more directly off the land. I've been building up survival skills and equipment, reading books on edible natives and exotic plants, reading about health and ethnobotanic medicine and training fitness and strength. Once I have come as far off the grid (out in the forest, walking and exploring while foraging and fishing) as possible, and stayed there for a while - then I'll plot my return.

As someone else said, who I can only paraphrase: "You can do more damage to the machine from the inside." I will help my fellow humans in Africa by installing water wells. I will also try and help reverse desertification (cacti cultivation skills?) on a large scale. Whether or not you accept the varying degrees of the Gaia theory (to clarify, it has nothing to do with planet-wide sentience, and everything to do with the multitude of life's feedback loops which stabilize the climate for life) - the trees and other plant life are our main defense against CO2 increases (and therefore temperature increases). The higher the concentration of CO2 - the faster the trees grow. They are amazing like that. They even seem to prefer higher temperatures for a given higher CO2 level! That's just crazy, it's like plants are perfect for combating a CO2-induced global warming. This increased growth rate is enough to buffer whatever caused the original CO2 increase (volcanic and anthropogenic). But then humans have decided to chop down the forests (among other tragedies waiting to rear, like unsustainable monoculture of genetically identical [and therefore weak] plants [Monsanto]). It's theorized that once a forest drops below a critical level, it becomes a CO2 source rather than a CO2 sink. Good work humanity - we've removing our main defense against possible temperature increases. I don't fear that the planet will become lifeless - but that we will f**k up our current opportunity to live on a beautiful planet. There's no knowing what might emerge after a massive climate shift. Maybe a far more hostile environment?

Biblical Noah was a coward - he too ran from the problems of the planet, and let everyone else perish. What a c**t.

The problem I have with all this talk of people escaping the materialistic world and going bush is that - to buy the equipment i've seen mentioned, to get the books about such, to undertake practical treks into the bush to practice said knowledge, to travel off into the unknown, well all of this USUALLY TAKES MONEY. So when the inevitable happens and we all have to fend for ourselves, how are those of us who were unprepared due to having NO money going to do it? Yes I hate materialism and capitalism and greed but I also have no money. So I guess the poor people will die, and those who already prepared themselves due to having spare funds with which to set themselves up initially, will survive. So once again the rich will be the ones surviving while the poor are stranded and will die? Doesn't sound very appealing to me at all.

There's always a balance - a concept that most Western dualists (I think I used that word correctly...) cannot seem to grasp. There is almost no way to survive in this world without using money (we are born dependent on money's use). However, there are ways which minimize its use, especially for frivolous crap. So there's no need to give up before the first stair simply because you cannot cling to an ideal.