The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Legba

Cannabis laws to be repealed

Thanks for posting BushTurkey. Exactly what I had envisaged, but interesting to see the ways they tried to address it. Not a mention of cigarettes. It's also interesting to see their views on the dangers of grass. The link between cannabis and mental illness in those 'susceptible'. Doesn't put much faith in all those hundreds of thousands of $ being spent on finding problems with grass, does it? Essentially, it says that they still have no solid evidence (otherwise they would have happily slid it in with the response rather than a vague 'link' between the two) and that they only have gut feelings still. I would be curious to see a second letter sent to them asking them to elaborate on the scientifically proven dangers of cannabis usage, how it compares to other drugs, both legal and illegal, and why cannabis is still treated like it is heroin.

Nobody was arrested and no charges were ever filed.

What would have happened to those growers in Oz? Hmm?

Something that has been done before and a group of friends i know i have been talking about is buying hemp handtowels, getting their names stitched into it and sending them a letter/brochure, made on hemp paper, outlining the medical benefits of cannabis and the amount prohibition is costing us/making the underground organizations/failing on the whole.

I think that sending them a cannabis related item such as the handtowel and hemp paper would at least show them in some way that there is more to cannabis than just getting high. Furthermore a few personal notes from people regarding the medicine that cannabis has replaced for them wouldn't go astray.

I would be curious to see a second letter sent to them asking them to elaborate on the scientifically proven dangers of cannabis usage, how it compares to other drugs, both legal and illegal, and why cannabis is still treated like it is heroin.

yeah i will be sending a reply as they beet around the bush abit and didnt really answer my questions. i wish i kept a copy of the letter i sent

i think you must of stumped them cisumevil :lol:

"research continues to show the significant health, social and economic impacts of drug use. cannabis remains the most widely used illicit drug in WA and there are indications that people are initiating use at youger ages. a range of short and long term effects of cannabis use are known and in particular, there is growing concern regarding the link between cannabis use and mental health problems in those that are susceptible."

Perhaps you could ask them to supply this research for a "research project" your doing?

"there is growing concern regarding the link between cannabis use and mental health problems"

Concern from doctors who are loosing market share of patients who medicate with cannabis.

I think it was Leary who said "LSD causes psychosis in control freaks who fear it's potential."

was fairly sure UK's latest research, showed a RISE in weed use, but NO RISE in mental health.

If the hospitals are full on weed affected people, why are the numbers not reflecting this?

Because its selecting reading, they choose to listen to some papers, and not others.

unreal....

And i was thinking that Australia would follow in USA's footsteps soon...

totally unreal....

when people like this idiot get on a crusade like this theres no stopping them.

How long has a Minister/Premier got to respond to a member of the public, been a month now :(

Time to resend to the Opposition leader & his shadow ministers in health & mental health, also all MLC & MLA..........

How long has a Minister/Premier got to respond to a member of the public, been a month now

As long as it takes really. It would more likely be the Department behind the Minister doing the drafting of the response, the Min just signs it off when it reaches his office. Any longer than 4 weeks of receipt will usually require a 'I apologise for the delay'. There are internal deadlines of course, but hold ups in policy areas, etc can stretch them. In many cases 4 weeks is still pretty quick, by time it goes from min's office to dept, to policy areas within dept, back to drafting officer, then to clearing officer, then back to the min's office. All it takes is the min to reject the draft and the process starts again. But that's quite rare.

Should be soon though man :)

Still nothing :(

This was in the "The West Australian" on Friday 13, November 2009

I cant find a source online, so I have typed it up..........

Funding hurdle for tougher drug laws.

By Amanda Banks

Gaping holes have emerged in the State Government's promise to introduce tougher cannabis laws after revelations no money has been set aside for the thousands of compulsory education courses that will be needed under the legislation, according to the Opposition.

Despite the legislation being identified as a priority, Health Minister Graham Jacobs' Office said that funding for the legislation would be considered as part of the normal Budget process.

Shadow mental health minister Roger Cook said the failure to set aside funding for the laws demonstrated a lack of serious commitment to the move.

"The Government is all talk and no action in relation to drug laws," Mr Cook said. "This legislation has huge budgetary implications".

The cannabis legislation, which honours a key election commitment to scrap Labor's 2003 laws, is long overdue after the Government broke a promise to have tougher regime in place by the end of last year.

The legislation will axe a two plant cultivation limit and reduce the prosecution threshold for possession from 30g to 10g. It will also scrap the infringement notice system and force first offenders caught with amounts under 10g to complete compulsory intervention sessions.

The laws were high on the Government's list of legislation in the Lower House on Wednesday, but will need to pass through a heavy agenda in the Legislative Council before Parliament breaks for summer in two weeks.

So after reading this I spent hour's sending individual Emails to 13 members of the Legislative Council. I also spent hours handwriting individual letter's to the Premier, his Health Minister, his Mental Health Minister, the Opposition leader & also the shadow Minister for Health/Mental Health. A letter might be a bit harder to ignore as I reckon my 1st email was a victim of the delete button as I never even got a reply from the Premier's office saying that my letter has been passed onto the Minister for mental Health :(

Edited by cisumevil