The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
tripsis

Fertilising Lophophora williamsii

As the title suggests, how often should one fertilise Lophs and at what strength/dilution should the fertiliser be? I use Charlie Carp...

No one can give any advice?

fark man u dont give much time for an answer!!!

hey if i give u advice...does that get me a print?? :wink:

for my lophs i liquid fertilise at 1/2 strength with an organic complete liquid fert every fortnight over the growing season. typically spring and autumn. I also give them a pinch of gypsum around each of them which i water in with the liquid fert(every 2nd fortnight).

A tip on liquid ferting, water your plants well with normal tap water or watever water ur using before u apply the liquid fert. That way the liquid fert just doesnt run through the bottom of your pots, it stays in the soil.

also when repotting i put ferts in the mix, like some gypsum, charcoal, blood and bone.

NOW WHERES MY PRINT! ;P

I want a print too, how old are the lophs?

half strength miracle grow just before it starts to rain and I sometimes have been crumbling chicken poo pellets up in water and watering all my cactus with a watering can with it, they are really starting to punch out some new green growth at the moment.

• Like 1

i have used full strength miracle grow monthly as my loph mix in small terracotta pots drys out fast, i did notice when i gave them some crushed dynamic lifter pellets & went away for a week they had bulked up considerably,

i also give the pots a good flush in between fertilizing to stop any build up

Cool, thanks for the replies. I've been watering with half strength every fortnight. Would once a month be better?

Flushing out with water between each fertilising is a good idea. Building up of nutrients has crossed my thoughts before.

As for prints...well, you know the story. :P

grafted cacti can be fed more, i like osmacote because i'm lazy and feed once a year in the spring, its slow release stuff used at many nurseries here in the us

Charlie carp is the shit! Blood and bone are also good. You can even use the burnt coffee from the coffee machine as my plants love it! Urine is good too and marks your territory

Urine doesn't burn the roots?

I like Charlie Carp over other fertilisers for the fact it is more environmentally friendly than most. Seasol I don't trust for shit and blood and bone supports an industry that I do not.

Burnt coffee is interesting. Doesn't it make the soil too acidic?

Coffee grounds are quite as a fertilizer, composting and the added bonus is that SLUGS & SNAILS hate it...if you collect all your spent coffee grounds etc and put them in a watering can you in effect pour diluted coffee water across everything and it will seriously help piss snails and slugs off and help with nutrients...also great as an admixture in mushroom substrates... :wink:

Miracle grow is brilliant and any seaweed emulsion also.

grafted plants; forget about the loph scion and treat like you would a normal Tricho etc. Do this and it will grow like mad!

Seaweed "fertilizers" aren't really fertilizers at all. I don't think any of them actually state that they are a fertilizer but rather a soil tonic.

If you check the NPK of Seaweed "fertilizers" and compare to say a liquid fert you will see that they contain next to zero usable nutrients. Not to say they aren't important. Seaweed tonics improve soil health by feeding the biotic component of soil, microbes and bacteria etc. These biotics are responsible for decomposition of organic matter and the conversion of nutrients from decomposition into usable forms for plants, among other things. Soil chemistry and a soils micro ecosystem are entwined and immensly complex, for a plant to thrive you need a healthy soil so seaweed tonics are an important component of plant maitenance.

To ensure a plant has sufficient nutrient availability and achieve best possible growth, some form of fertilizer should be applied. Controlled release fertilizer prills are excellent and probably the best choice for Lophs on there own roots. There are many different NPK ratios available so there is a fert prill for any situation.

The good thing about controlled release ferts is that they change the amount of fert released according to temperature via a temperature sensitive porus polymer membrain that coats the fert prill. As temperatures increase and plants growth rates increase the membrain becomes more porus and releases more fert to accommidate for the plants increased nutrient uptake. As temps decrease the reverse happens.

This mechanism makes controlled release ferts the perfect choice for Lophs on their own roots because 1: Fert will only be released in the presence of moisture and when the Loph is growing, 2: its autonomus, all you need to do is water correctly.

Fast growing plants may require supplemental liquid fert applications periodically, in addition to use of controlled release fert.

Hope this helps

i also pee on mine once every 3 weeks throughout the growing season. weird habit.

i also pee on mine once every 3 weeks throughout the growing season. weird habit.

Are you serious? how much pee?

Midstream or the whole thing start to finish?

start to finish, baby.

i pee on the rest of my cacti in the same manner.

My caapi vines as well.

The rest of my plants i water it down in a watering can.

start to finish, baby.

i pee on the rest of my cacti in the same manner.

My caapi vines as well.

The rest of my plants i water it down in a watering can.

Urea would do the same thing wouldn't it? Bit more hygenic, especially if you have multiple people handling the plants.

more like i don't want piss coming out the bottom on my verandah lol.

Piss in the bottom watering tub?

Edited by C_T