The Corroboree
Legba

'Herbal highs' to be banned in Britain

Source

THE British Government is to ban "herbal high" smoking mixtures by the end of the year on the recommendation of its official drugs advisors, Home Secretary Alan Johnson said today.

The ban will cover man-made chemicals sprayed on herbal products such as "Spice", which offer users a similar sensation to cannabis, as well as the club drug GBL, a solvent commonly sold as paint stripper.

The move will be accompanied by a government health campaign timed to coincide with university Freshers' weeks warning of the danger of the substances, particularly when mixed with alcohol.

The Government's Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs (ACMD) said earlier this month that products coated with synthetic cannabinoids were dangerous and had been found to cause paranoia and panic attacks.

"There is a perception that many of the so-called legal highs are harmless," said Mr Johnson.

"However, in some cases people can be ingesting dangerous industrial fluids or smoking chemicals that can be even more harmful than cannabis."

The chemicals will be controlled as Class B drugs, the same category as cannabis, with possession punishable with up to five years in prison.

Also barred will be club drug GBL (Gamma-Butyrolactone) and amphetamine alternative BZP (Benzylpiperazine), which will both be classified as Class C drugs that can bring two years' jail for possession.

Chemical solvent GBL can be particularly dangerous when taken with alcohol and other depressants, the ACMD says.

Charity DrugScope said its members working in drug treatment centres had reported an increase in the number of people experiencing problems with GBL.

Earlier this year 21-year-old student Hester Stewart died in Brighton after taking the solvent. Her mother had campaigned for GBL to be banned.

BZP can produce a rush of energy, agitation, vomiting and headaches.

"However, in some cases people can be ingesting dangerous industrial fluids or smoking chemicals that can be even more harmful than cannabis."

What, like alcohol and commercial tobacco? :lol: a lot of peoples drinking water too?

lol oh and i like the 'some', lets ban things because some thing do this and that. :P

"How ever, in some cases people can be injesting dangerous industrial fluids or smoking chemicals that can be even more harmful than cannabis"

Every single one of those chemicals are more dangerous than cannabis in it's organic form!

But that's prohibition for ya, make it illegal and people will start looking for synthetic alternatives, which will always be more dangerous! I was watching a doco where they where saying the average person in holland doesn't even know what meth is, since it doesn't seem to be a huge issue over there. people over there stick with good old heroin and cocaine and have no need to seek synthetic alternatives.

Give me good old herb or ecstasy from a back alley rather than that legal poision anyday.

Edited by jabez

Sorry, double post. I'm blaming my iphone though it's playing up.

BTW, are those pills legal in OZ? Or aren't we allowed to talk about it, LOL

Edited by jabez

Every single one of those chemicals are more dangerous than cannabis in it's organic form!

Haha oh the irony. If they take away these chems then people are just going to find something else. The least the government could do is provide them with the most natural, least harmful sort. Plain old weed.

I find the term 'Legal highs' confusing. It gives the public the impression that all legal herbs are dangerous rather than the cannabinoids they are specifically targeting. Unfair media!

cheers

I guess this is the response to the bbc doco "can I get high legally?"

Funny the timing and all. Seems like there is an agender at play here. Take away our natural meds, people take potentially dangerous alternative's, take away more of our rights to protect us from these possible harms. All good if we just pump up with alcohol, anti-psychotics and antidepressants. Happy consumer's.

Will herbal blends that havent been sprayed with synthetic drugs be made illegal in the UK because of this now? :(

someone plz explain how GBL (a prodrug for GBH, which has a pretty damn safe profile!) is more dangerous than cannabis?

dont buy into this media bullshit of EVIIIIIIIIIIL SOLVENTS!!!! water is a solvent, alcohol is a solvent. they can both be used very very safely. you body has solvents like acetone floating around in it.

its quite simple really: don't believe everything you read in the daily paper or watch on the idiot box - global, metropolitan and local.

I see 'Britain' and 'herbal high' and I remember the "London Underground" pills a few of us took, sourced right here in Oz - on a couple of occasions. They should be banned, because they are a very bad cocktail of who knows what.

Will herbal blends that havent been sprayed with synthetic drugs be made illegal in the UK because of this now? :(

Curiously Russia and Poland went that way. They pretty much banned every herb that was listed on the SPICE [and other brands] packets even though the real synthetic ingredients were known by then. So things like Nymphaea caerulea are now illegal in those two countries. Go figure!