The Corroboree
KanJe

Electron Microscope

I've recently been given the opportunity to submit 4-5 bio samples to be looked at through an electron microscope and have images taken for free. I was thinking of doing some interesting pollen or fungi spores. I posted here as I don't want to restrict ideas to being along the lines of what I've already mentioned.

Does anyone have any good ideas on what might be worth submitting. I'm kind of looking for something that hasn't been taken heaps before as I don't want to waste this chance.

I was thinking to do a series of Psilocybe sp for comparison. My fungi knowlege isn't great but in this case what might be a good selection to look at?

a cool opportunity, i hope you get four or five good quality examples... will you be involved in sample preparation or you just provide the sample?

an ethno might be useful with EGA promotion, maybe you could submit it for the t-shirt competition, or let an artist use it for that?

i'm gonna have a think, there's gotta be something more interesting than pollen and spores but maybe convoluted forms will be a lot harder to coat and image properly?

what about some kind of organically formed crystal structure?

I would love to see the microscopic differences of sub spores from each of the states they occur in.

Wow thats awesome!! You have some really cool friends if they're doing that for you! Please post up the super high res pics when you get them :-)

There are some cool microfossils out there you could image, although there is quite a few EM pics of them already. The attached picture is a Foraminifera, soooo cooooool.

post-2017-1248245151_thumb.jpg

Edited by Μορφέας

I would love to see the microscopic differences of sub spores from each of the states they occur in.

If people had prints to donate this might be possible.

I love the T-shirt idea TI. I might look at something like that. I'll see what happens.

most persuasive way to ask for spore prints ever employed at this forum.

I forgot to add that they would be for microscopy purposes only.

Don't get me wrong, I'm just looking for ideas. Not some weird scam.

I only mentioned it cuz I don't have much of collection my self.

Edited by KanJe

just joking around

the subject needn't be as tiny as a spore right? if i were you i'd start microscoping everything to find something which may be interesting in closer detail. things that grow in ponds, non-living substances created by insects (cocoons, cuticles etc), mycelium weaving through something or a spore in the process of germination, mere imprints or residues left in non-living matter by something-or-other... just random ideas kanje, put your crazy hat on and find some worthwhile, good luck

but the colours are artificial and not representative. pretty though. the citric acid crystal looked alright but in grey it probably wouldn't. what's an exciting crystal? you might consider doing a cannabis nodule (tiny mushroom shaped crystal things growing noticeably on potent bud).

morning glory pollen for ID :) or the various "woodrose" species floating about.

Hey guys,

it's my job to work on a SEM!!

phyto21bo4.png

Somewhere I've also pics of Cannabis Trichomes....

Kind regards from Germany ;)

cannabis trichomes

electron_trichome.jpg

Coloured-SEM.jpg

not very small targets though

Edited by ThunderIdeal

It might already have been done... but cactus spines? You might find out what gives people the reaction to being spiked...

yeh i was thinkin cac spines also morg.

If you go for the sub spores gimme a yell kanje, i got some samples from the dung lover BM couldnt ID.

Some ideas.

Images of the surface of lophophora seeds. I have seen a photos from a Czech article about lophos, and there are great differences among species and varieties.

It happens the same with cannabis cultivars?.

When my woodlovers (azurescens, cyanescens and subaeruginosa) will fruit this year, I can make images of the different spores!

If you have any suggestion, tell it to me and if can get a sample I can make some Images

morning glory pollen for ID :) or the various "woodrose" species floating about.

My only suggestion was the claviceps on woodrose. But I guess that's probably been done adnauseum.

nice project there, kj,

nice thread,

super photos,

pusemuckel's pic is my current screensaver :wub:

i go aswell than for cacti spine!

I haven't done it yet but I decided to do a range of psi spores. I'm just in the process of looking for other species which is what has held me back. If anyone has anything interesting in this area that they would be willing to donate or sell please pm me. I only really need a small sample.

If I can't get my hands onto a worthwhile range then I was looking at cacti spines as mentioned above. I was thinking maybe Epithelantha or Pelecyphora. Maybe even Mammillaria luethyi. I don't know if these would be hard to image though.

Edited by KanJe