The Corroboree
Chiral

Superstitions...do you have them...?

I was wondering if people have lived with superstitions and if they still do...I have had many over the years, for example when ever I got into trouble for something I would make an urgent plea to god....something like oh please god, oh please god...but...!...I would have to say it 8 times or it would not work...now the other part was I was not allowed to count them but have to just estimate if I had done 8 of them...it used to do my head in really big time and it started to creep into other parts of my life....I haven't done it for many many years now thank goodness, but I used to believe it very much so. I also had a statue once that I found with some junk furniture on the street one time...it was an African piece of a nude man and it was made of wood...thing is the penis was very prominent in this naked carving...after a string of seemingly bad luck I decided it was the statues fault and had to rid myself of the horrible cursed statue... :P ...it was left at a friends house facing the back garden fence amongst some scrub...whew I now felt better.

I have had many others in the past also but I want to hear some of yours...

Wanna share your superstitions...well here is the place...also any attachment to inanimate objects for some reason or another...like statues, dolls or bowls etc etc...that you think bring you good luck or you can't live without them etc.

H.

My grandmother was a very superstitious lady, and two of her superstitions she has passed on to me are: 1: killing crickets will bring you 7 years bad luck.

I always go out of my way to save a cricket now lol and 2. NEVER EVER under ANY circumstances open an umbrella indoors- it brings incredibly bad luck on the household. I know its probably untrue but i kinda freak if someone tries to open one indoors lol.

Only real supersttions i have come to think of it!!!

Bahahah the umbrella one is one my mum used to go on about...another one was to never place shoes on a table...more bad luck... :P

here are some from my wifes culture which I find quite funny...the Javanese people are very very superstitious people okay ...I mean they have more superstitions than any culture you can imagine...

1. never travel long distance on Tuesdays..will bring bad luck.

2. a pregnant woman must never stand in under a door way as it will make the birth difficult and the baby will not want to come out.

3. at no time shall anyone sit or place their feet on a table as this will bring lot's of bad debt.

4. don't kill any animals while you are pregnant as if you do your child will be born with characteristics of the animal you kill.

there are many more I will extract from her later...she tells me particularly her mothers side of the family are so caught up in superstitions it's extremely tiring remembering not to do them... :P

thing is they really believe them and take it very seriously.

H.

is there a major relationship between OCD and superstition?

i can't be 100% sure but i don't think i have either. i can only think of behaviours that are a little unnecessary/quirky but not without some justification, for instance i don't like to share drink bottles.

Not sure if this qualifies as superstition or not--I ride a sportbike, and I almost never get on it if I've had more than a fleeting thought about death that day. I used to have a gremlin bell attached, but it fell off. lol Prolly not a good sign, but since I can't buy one myself --it isn't supposed to work unless given as a gift--I haven't replaced it.

I have a few that i;ve picked up...

1. Someone told me that if i keep one of those chinese coins that you get at cheap shops in my wallet it will bring me money, seem to work as i always have change.

2. I never walk over money, someone told me that if you walk passed a coin the universe will figure you don;t want any and will not provide. So i look like a cheap bastard whenever i see 5c lying on the ground. I did however find $50 on the ground tonight which was sweet and i won lotto ($20). Also my sister told me that if you find money its good luck.

3. If i see a fox its good luck. Even seeing the word is enough.

4. Having the foot of your bed facing a door is really bad luck.

5. Rabbits feet are good luck, i wore one of these around my neck for years when i was a little kid.

6. Throwing cig butts on the ground is bad luck. I got no idea where i picked this one up but its a good habit to get into anyway.

Prob the deepest superstition i surrendered to for most of my life is the idea that if you obtain a big bank balance, house, car, and a modeled wife with big tits that you would attain this very desirable and illusive thing called 'happiness'.

"When you believe in things that you don't understand you will suffer" :wink:

Prob the deepest superstition i surrendered to for most of my life is the idea that if you obtain a big bank balance, house, car, and a modeled wife with big tits that you would attain this very desirable and illusive thing called 'happiness'.

surely the tits make you happy... :lol:

H.

I think that if i dont get a release of sperm at least once a week i will develope prostate cancer. Nuts?

Funny thread. Nice comment ThundeIdeal. Yeah, at least some of these seem propably obsessive compulsive related.

Have you seen the film "As good as it gets" ? It's actually not my genre, romance/comedy, but this little movie is a gem, related with our subeject here...

If I am walking or driving somewhere I can never come back the same way as I came I always have to come back a different way to make it a round trip.

Bahahah the umbrella one is one my mum used to go on about...another one was to never place shoes on a table...more bad luck... :P

Ah crap. I did both of these when my roof leaked :(

If I am walking or driving somewhere I can never come back the same way as I came I always have to come back a different way to make it a round trip.

that's interesting. I do this sometimes. Its more creative :) I am changing routeways to my job every day, to make it have a bit of variety [its a 8 km drive, by motorbike usually]. There is even a mountain route, which goes through that area of that guy I was saying in that other thread, where we are planting some plants and cacti outside. There are numerous circles all around town :)

LOL I was just thinking that I mustn't have any superstitions... until I realised I always put socks and shoes on my right foot first, because doing the left side first is bad luck. Totally BS I know. Something to do with ancient superstitions that right side = good, left side = bad. There's biblical references and middle age stuff but I can't be arsed linking.