The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Chiral

acacia phlebophylla seed wanted

I know this has been a contentious issue around here for some time, but I will continue to ask for seed of this plant in the hope that someone will part with some so I can have a go at growing some.

So if anyone ever has any seed they might like to share even if it's only one or 2 seeds then please PM and and organise a trade or sale.

H.

I know this has been a contentious issue around here for some time, but I will continue to ask for seed of this plant in the hope that someone will part with some so I can have a go at growing some.

So if anyone ever has any seed they might like to share even if it's only one or 2 seeds then please PM and and organise a trade or sale.

H.

Hunab ku, do u have any general times of year for when this and other species have seed are ready to be collected?

I'm not sure of Phlebs flowering time to be honest...you know it only grows on Mt Bufalo right...it does flower every year from what I have heard from others here but at what time of year I am unsure from memory it's late spring flowering plant...someone can correct me but I'm assuming as it's a protected species that none of the plant is allowed to taken...people still do though...and seed pods falling to ground would be the best to collect...I'm glad there are people growing this plant away from the mountain and hope in years to come it becomes common amongst ethno growers to have a few in their collections. One of these days I will take a trip down to the mountain and have a look for myself at this amazing Acacia.

H.

I'm not sure of Phlebs flowering time to be honest...you know it only grows on Mt Bufalo right...it does flower every year from what I have heard from others here but at what time of year I am unsure from memory it's late spring flowering plant...someone can correct me but I'm assuming as it's a protected species that none of the plant is allowed to taken...people still do though...and seed pods falling to ground would be the best to collect...I'm glad there are people growing this plant away from the mountain and hope in years to come it becomes common amongst ethno growers to have a few in their collections. One of these days I will take a trip down to the mountain and have a look for myself at this amazing Acacia.

H.

Canberra isn't on Mt buffalo.. lol.

I had a horticulturist make a positive id for me:)

Maybe one could root some cuttings from a fallen branch after heavy wind? In summer or Autumn, right?

Sorry you lost me...what has Canberra got to do with it...?

Rooting Acacia from cuttings is next to impossible I believe..it's seed or nothing I'm afraid...someone more familiar with Oz natives could correct me...if you know of plants being grown outside of their native habitat and they flower then that's wonderful...I'll gladly pay what ever for some seed or a seed pod...this is the one plant I really want to make my collection complete..I've got Obtusi, Madenii, Acuminata and Bakeri, all up as seedlings and some bigger...just need a couple of phlebs to make the little collection complete.

H.

Maybe one could root some cuttings from a fallen branch after heavy wind? In summer or Autumn, right?

yeah. Acacias in general are really difficult to strike cuttings though

Sorry you lost me...what has Canberra got to do with it...?

G*P seems to be implying that there are positively identified phlebs in Canberra? :scratchhead:

Now that would be an exciting development...

Me neither unless they are seed grown in some botanical garden, or someones collection in their yard...don't keep us in suspense G*P...what's Canberra got to do with Phlebs...?

yeah. Acacias in general are really difficult to strike cuttings though

What about grafting to another acacia? phleb on longifolia or baileyana perhaps

hmmm not sure if possible would certainly create some intresting plants if it was i was always under the impression harder woods are very difficult to graft

baileyana would prolly be the closest and workable candidate...a bud graft perhaps...dunno..JUST WANT SOME SEED... :ana:

H.

Nevermind :rolleyes:

Edited by apothecary

i don't believe you

lol. I'd rather u didn' t ;)

I've found 1. In Canberra. It's not wild, but it sure is growing happily with little assistance.

I do remember seeing more of these now that i've found this one, so im gonna meditate on it and 'go walk about' to find some more..

Maidenii sends out suckers, correct? I asked if I may spread her genetics, and was lead to 2 healthy specimens that had already formed their own roots. They're now potted in rooting hormone anyhows.

Is there any specific reason that acacia don't usually take from cuttings? Or have people just been unlucky with that up until now?

Edited by G*P

Nevermind :rolleyes:

?...did I miss something Apoth ...or was it one of those roll your eyes and shake your head at me again thangs...

be intresting to see a investigation into the DNA of this plant is it possible that it is actually a hybird that has developed somehow and just taken to that enviroment well it would seem that if it is so localised this could be the case can wattles cross pollinate in nature ????

be intresting to see a investigation into the DNA of this plant is it possible that it is actually a hybird that has developed somehow and just taken to that enviroment well it would seem that if it is so localised this could be the case can wattles cross pollinate in nature ????

Hybrids between A. macradenia and A. bancroftiorum are noted by L.Pedley, Austrobaileya 1: 95 (1978) and 1: 275 (1979). These hybrids resemble A. holotricha , an uncommon species distinguished by its overall denser indumentum. Hybrids between A. macradenia and A. fimbriata are known in cultivation (e.g. B.R.Maslin 6094 , PERTH).

http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesgallery/macradenia.php

I GUESS WATTLE HYBIRDS DO OCCUR SO IS THERE A WAY TO FIND OUT IF THIS PLANT IS THE RESULT OF HYBIRDISATION ????????

Yeah your right tantra.

"Closely related to A. alpina but is much larger in all its parts, the phyllodes have irregularly resinous margins and its pods are woodier. Acacia phlebophylla hybridizes with both A. alpina and A. dallachiana "

From worldwidewattle

vague memory of phleb X alpinia[?].......?utse

t s t .

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/inde...l=wattle+hybird

thanks TST it crosses with the species you mention but plants seem to be sterile :( from a quick read anyway I berlieve wattle cuttings are difficult / impossible to strike is that correct berrcause if so its a dam shame

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/inde...l=wattle+hybird

this thread people intrested in this plant may also find of interest

Edited by neoshaman

post-1464-1247278960_thumb.jpg

A. alpina/A. phlebophylla hybrid.

I have only ever found this one specimen of the said hybrid and i havent been back to check on its progress for some time now.

RIMG1617.JPG

RIMG1617.JPG

Edited by PD.

How long would it take to know if acacia cuttings had taken or not?

post-1464-1247278960_thumb.jpg

A. alpina/A. phlebophylla hybrid.

I have only ever found this one specimen of the said hybrid and i havent been back to check on its progress for some time now.

Looks a bit like the after dark tree acacia sold at plant stores, cool

So is there an official name for the hybrid...?

H.