The Corroboree
kenny

Glove Box :)

Nothing special, but I wanted to share pics of my glove box.

Took about 30 mins to make. Using screw cap lids as a way to seal the arm holes was a bit innovative i think. At least, none of the home made ones I saw on the webz had done this.

Originally I was thinking of doubling it as an FC but apparently those 2 holes wont provide appropriate FAE, at least it can be easily sealed up between uses though. Saves nasties getting in when not in use.

abox1.jpg

abox2.jpg

cool so now you have somewhere safe and hygienic to store all your gloves...great idea... :wink:

H.

my old glove box is now a rabbit hutch!

Took about 30 mins to make. Using screw cap lids as a way to seal the arm holes was a bit innovative i think. At least, none of the home made ones I saw on the webz had done this.

Originally I was thinking of doubling it as an FC but apparently those 2 holes wont provide appropriate FAE, at least it can be easily sealed up between uses though. Saves nasties getting in when not in use.

abox1.jpg

abox2.jpg

Nice one Kenny,

I had the same idea.. I bought myself a suitable box and jars and cut the holes, but can't find a suitable adhesive to stick the plastic with. I think its made of polypropylene/polyethylene which are notoriously difficult to get something to adhere to. I've heard of fancy fusion adhesives for this purpose. hat did you use?

nice box kenny, hey that alcohol spray in the box whats that called _ _ _ _ _ _ something alcohol, im sure i could drive to 15 minutes to bunnings but thought i would ask first

ps i dont want to drink it :)

You probably want a clear perspex window in that lid.

nice box kenny, hey that alcohol spray in the box whats that called _ _ _ _ _ _ something alcohol, im sure i could drive to 15 minutes to bunnings but thought i would ask first

i'd hazard a guess it's isopropyl alcohol..

IPA, no not India Pale Ale, ISOPROPANOL (ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL) can be bought at electronics stores for about $8 per 125ml.

Better off getting methylated spirits and adding 30% water in a spray bottle, it is much cheaper and works fine. Leave the IPA for oilier or spicier projects.

70:30 kills bacteria much more effectively than 100% ethanol.

Kenny; Those screw off arm entries are great, nice feature.

I'm a bit late in responding to this :unsure:

simulacrum - I just used construction adhesive. Its very sticky and strong, mostly designed for use on on wooden shelving, furniture... that kind of thing.

And yes the bottle is Isopropyl Alcohol. Thanks for the advice Fenris. I had considered methylated spirits but wasn't sure if it would do the job, it is indeed cheaper. Now I know :)

the tech online says to use watered down bleach.

I actually used the screw cap thing on mine to make a rubbish shute and fruit collector that could be made an 'air lock' by securing a plastic bag on the outside before unscrewing the lid, tossing out the fruits then sealing, and that way you might get less contams on later flushes.

For the gloves I used horse rectal sleeves from the horse vet nearby over which I put a pair of latex gloves.

For the lid I had glass but stupidly managed to smash it so got a piece of perspex cut locally, cheap as.

To double it as a fruiting chamber I drilled a bunch of holes in the box like 30 or so on the big sides and 10 on the small ones (or so) and covered them with micropore tape. And for even more fae i siliconed a fan onto the side of the box also (sucking out to give a slight vacuum for even more sterility when glove boxing).

A vicks coolmist humidifier is piped into it.

Haven't even had the chance to try it yet anyway hah.

Peace

I thought 100% colonised substrate was fairly resistant to contam? So you wouldn't need to worry so much after inoculation stage...

I thought 100% colonised substrate was fairly resistant to contam? So you wouldn't need to worry so much after inoculation stage...

U said it, 100% colonized is resistant as! Just open the lid and fan away, fill that space with normal unfiltered air. Never had a contam once fully colonized. After flush, fill container with water for few hours, let soak and then emppty water out. No need to mist and flushes will be more productive. :wink:

I actually used the screw cap thing on mine to make a rubbish shute and fruit collector that could be made an 'air lock' by securing a plastic bag on the outside before unscrewing the lid, tossing out the fruits then sealing, and that way you might get less contams on later flushes.

For the gloves I used horse rectal sleeves from the horse vet nearby over which I put a pair of latex gloves.

For the lid I had glass but stupidly managed to smash it so got a piece of perspex cut locally, cheap as.

To double it as a fruiting chamber I drilled a bunch of holes in the box like 30 or so on the big sides and 10 on the small ones (or so) and covered them with micropore tape. And for even more fae i siliconed a fan onto the side of the box also (sucking out to give a slight vacuum for even more sterility when glove boxing).

A vicks coolmist humidifier is piped into it.

Haven't even had the chance to try it yet anyway hah.

Peace

Why air extraction? Sounds like u sorta have a HEPA flow hood, but built a bit backwards. U can get HEPA filters these days easy enough. Force the air through this, then into the fruiting chamber effectively filling it with clean, filtered air with a positive pressure inside so no air gets in except through the HEPA. It's wat the pro's use.

Peace

A dozen holes 20mm big around the fruiters walls and 2 on the lid all covered with 1 inch wide micro pore tape is more than sufficient for FAE...that coupled with the occasional fanning is more than adequate...particularly if you place your tub/s of colonised substrate straight on the bottom of the fruiter...it doesn't have to be any more difficult than that really...oh and straight bleach on some paper towel and wipe the insides of the fruiter down thoroughly leaving the bleachy residue on the surface of the plastic works a treat at keeping the inside sterile and contam free.

H.

Nice glove box, I like it.

How did you make the holes for the arm holes???

Peace

Hot knife! It takes a while though... constantly having to reheat the knife and all.

Hot knife! It takes a while though... constantly having to reheat the knife and all.

Alright, thanks for that, am sure it beats drilling lots of holes around the circumference of the circle(s) and filing them out.

Peace,

Sam

desent drill bit on high speed, use to cut, just apply pressure sideways and it cuts, the gold ones work well.

dremel with cutting disc or even grinding bit works well. or heating up a tin can.

simulacrum

fix it with somthing like a screw or tac it up via melting together eg. soldering iron, or what not and then just silcon it up.

or hot glue gun it in, did that to hold gloves fixed at holes. ;)

cheers

Edited by happy1

dremel with cutting disc or even grinding bit works well. or heating up a tin can.

simulacrum

fix it with somthing like a screw or tac it up via melting together eg. soldering iron, or what not and then just silcon it up.

or hot glue gun it in, did that to hold gloves fixed at holes. ;)

cheers

cheers mate. I actually finished mine a few weeks back and ended up just using hot glue to fix the threaded jar "sleeves" on. I drilled 4 holes all the way through the sleeve and the boxand injected a bead of hot glue all the way through and flattend on both sides before the glue set.. overall it came out quite neat. I'll take some pics tomorrow.

Cheap and smart Kenny!!

Well done,I went a slightly more expensive ($120) way a few years ago:

post-300-1252725423_thumb.jpg

I wanted something with plenty of room for jars/gear and movement,the lid sits firmly in grooved silicon weather-seal,the gloves are industrial/chemical type held with post office rubber bands.

The sleeves are P.V.C. pipe hot-melt glued in.(Yes I do have a circular hole-saw THAT big! )

Corners are too on the inside and the outside frame is aluminium angle mitered and siliconed in place...solid as a rock.

This baby will fit a cooled P.C and jars etc. thus the extra expense....now to start using it again :wink:

000_0030.jpg

000_0030.jpg

mescalito, your box is awesome!

Might attempt something similar in the future.

cheers

Kevlar

Thanks Kevlar,she works a treat and was simple as to build,I think I used about 3mm perspex and had the shop cut the pieces to size.The Aluminium angle holds it together very sturdy....just beware if ya got a cat,they may want to walk or lay on the lid:wink:

By far the best one I've done and with the grooved silicon weather seal around the inside of the lid,she's airtight!

I took photo's on the construction process in case anyone wanted to see the bits separate and being put together.

Cheers

I'm about to build a box, would love to see the construction process photos.

Thanks