The Corroboree
Chiral

Mimosa, Viridis, Caapi and others...things have noticed in cold weather.

Just thought i'd point out a few things I've noticed since it has become pretty cold and wet the last month or so.

My large Mimosa Hostilis tree has dropped a fair few leaves and I thought it was going to drop them all...I'm not sure if it's deciduous or not...but looks like it isn't as this week it has and is still putting out new growth and shoots at every second node per branch...strange stuff...dropping lots of leaves but still shooting new growth.

P. Viridis has shown no signs of leaf curl due to cold weather and is also still actively growing..although it's growth has slowed considerably now it's extremely cold it's leaves are still dark green and flat and shiny.

Caapi has all but stopped growth but is also showing a few new shoots at random nodes...the leaves are looking haggard from the beating it gets from cold southerly winds all day but it's still pretty happy considering.

Most of the vines including HBWR and moonflower are still quite actively growing...particularly one of the moonflowers...it has gone up and over the fence at an astonishing rate and continues to put out 3-4 flowers per night.

My Brugs have constantly been attacked by something biting and chewing the leaves and they have looked shithouse everyday even though I know they are healthy and the new shoots are still growing...what the hell eats it's leaves constantly I don't know as I have never seen any insect except one caterpillar on it's leaves...apparently Brugs are commonly eaten like this according to someone who has viewed mine and they said the same occurs with theirs.

My Datura flowered about a month ago but has stopped flowering now and left me with 5 fruits/seed pods...5 green spikey balls that constantly swell...when are these ready to remove or do they drop when they are ready like other fruits....?

Acacia Acuminata is still very actively growing new shoots...I am constantly amazed by this tree and have 2 of them and they are as healthy as anything I have ever seen...really strong grower and pest resistant.

Acacia Bakeri has produced 4 fat chunky leaves and has now seemingly gone dormant...it's a slowish grower and is only 6 inches tall but was grown from seed and hard grown straight into the ground....also very pest resistant and healthy.

Acacia Obtusifolia and Madenii seedlings are happy and have gone quiet but have put out secondary leaves and seem happy...all hard grown outdoors.

Some cactus have put on very small amounts of growth and one Bridgesii has put out a pup in the last 3 weeks and it's still actively growing which is slightly weird....no signs of any rot on any of the cactus in the grow log with experimental soil...Yowie has etoiliated somewhat but what can you do with cuttings.

So that's a round up of things I didn't really expect seeing as how it's been extremely wet and now bitterly cold lately...haven't lost any plants to cold or anything yet fingers crossed and I hope there are no frosts this year.

H.

Edited by Hunab Ku

Hi Hunab,

My plants are also hanging in thru the cold.

I lost a Caapi one cold winter but my well established one is doing fine,no need to fret about some sad looking leaves.

My Viridus needs some mothering even in my hothouse,besides the constant war with the ants, a few new shoots are a bit brown on the ends.

I am a tad worried but I am sure they will pull thru.What is the soil mix you use with yours?

My Mimosa.......from your seedlings have slowed down a lot,no leaf drop.

My Datura had a bunch of seed pods,some were not "spored" and shriveled up but one cracked open whilst on the plant to reveal a lovely bunch of seeds,

so just leave it be and it will let you know when it is ready.

I will be glad if somebody can shed light on the holes in the Brug.

Last night I had an extraordinary journey, something truly magical,and took a look at the energy or "spirit" of my ethno plants.

Each gave a distinct individual vision,and Im glad to report that on that level they are all doing wonderful.

And yes the Caapi is the mother of them all, I really treasure that plant,its vibe and my relationship with it.

Then I had a "visitor"........but that story probably belongs in your telepathy thread.

Your garden is going good,it is just as much thru your passion,intentions,and energy as it is your soil mixes and knowledge.

Best wishes to you bro.

C

hey Col good to hear from you...

Viridis soil mix is

1 part Vermiculite

1 part Perlite

1 part dried cured crumbled horse manure

1 part coarse sharp sand

1/2 part screened garden soil

as I have pointed out in other threads ever since I put her into this soil mix she has gone off her brain with healthy new growth and dark leaves...and the best thing is since it's been in a pot with this mix I have not seen one single ant on her...I don't think they like the soil mix...it's prolly to airy for them...dunno why that would be relative but they don't touch the plant anymore.

Yeah I'm hoping someone can tell us what to do with our Brugs and the pests that attack them constantly even in winter...and when will it flower...my Datura flowered after the first month and that was from seed.. :o ...my Brug's are cuttings so I was expecting a flower or two as I have had them growing since around November... :scratchhead:

I hope your Madenii flowers this spring surely it's due to after what 5 years now...?

Your journey certainly sounds interesting and would love to hear more about it for sure... :wink:

H.

My Brugs have constantly been attacked by something biting and chewing the leaves and they have looked shithouse everyday even though I know they are healthy and the new shoots are still growing...what the hell eats it's leaves constantly I don't know as I have never seen any insect except one caterpillar on it's leaves...apparently Brugs are commonly eaten like this according to someone who has viewed mine and they said the same occurs with theirs.

I find a solution of Pyrethrum and Lux soap flakes (wetting agent) to be a good insecticide. It doesn't store well though as the soap tends to turn to jelly if it sits too long but it is easy to mix as required and is pretty well harmless. Mine were looking just like you have described and I couldn't work out what was eating her. I even suspect that lady beatles like to chew them as well. My brugs are looking better than ever since, and I don't like to use chemicals so this stuff suits my needs and most importantly it works.. Give it a try.

Hutch

sometimes the easiest bug/disease control for brugs is removal of every leaf and fertilise.

they regrow very quickly.

maybe heavy pruning at the right time of year would help?so whens the right time?

t s t .

mimosa h is drought hardy so i'm thinking dryer is better than wet?

Edited by t st tantra

My Brugs have constantly been attacked by something biting and chewing the leaves and they have looked shithouse

I wonder if the culprit is the common woodlice / roly-poly

I saw a gardening show about them a few weeks ago & did not think they ate live plant matter, but apparently they do during the night & are gone again without trace by the next morning

I dont think they are as active in the colder months but that just a observation from mucking about in my garden

Edited by mac

my mimosa hostilis is nearly dead ive taken it inside about 2 weeks ago and is sitting on the window sill no signs of new growth only a couple of leaves left to fall off :unsure: what have i done wrong :scratchhead: my sage is going good with slow new growth and leaves are getting hard almost paper like ....and my Nicotiana has gone crazy with flowers :P

um i would point the finger at grasshoppers, which explains the fast rate of destruction. grasshoppers like brug and a good coverage of pyrethrum should mean that they drop dead after they feed on it.

my mimosa hostilis is nearly dead ive taken it inside about 2 weeks ago and is sitting on the window sill no signs of new growth only a couple of leaves left to fall off :unsure: what have i done wrong :scratchhead:

thats normal for a hostilis over winter, just put the plant outside again as indoor conditions might not suit this plant over it's dormant periode.

i did not check where you live but next spring she will send up new and stronger shoots up again, i promise you. :rolleyes:

thats normal for a hostilis over winter, just put the plant outside again as indoor conditions might not suit this plant over it's dormant periode.

i did not check where you live but next spring she will send up new and stronger shoots up again, i promise you. :rolleyes:

thankyou plant helper i have noticed the main stalk and the few leaves that are left are very green :)