The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
gilligan

Watertrade!!!

Well, my first ever oyster mushroom grow... Yes, it's EXTREMELY agricultural, and it only contains hay with a bit of bleaching prior to innoculating with mycelium, but it worked! Basically one of the plastic meshy hessiany style bags with a garbage bag around it and some holes in the bottom to allow for drainage, but also to maintain humidity in the growing section. I cut a few holes in it about two weeks in, and saw the mycelium growing, but had sort of thought it was just going to die in the arse. It's just hanging out under my patio and swinging in the wind... :)

Fuck yeah! :):):) Guess it goes to show how vigorous these guys are...

post-3727-1242817615_thumb.jpg

post-3727-1242817982_thumb.jpg

post-3727-1242818016_thumb.jpg

Edited by gilligan

Awesome work Gillie! I've been wanting to try my hand at these fellas for a while now. On a rating scale of 1 to 10 can you assess how much work these require (1 being bugger-all, 10 being excruciatingly difficult)? I would think somewhere between 4 and 7. Just outta curiosity :)

All of Stamet's books indicate that they are very easy to grow and will take a fair bit of neglect. Definately pricks up ears when they see how easy something can be and what a sight it is to see the first crop!

Awesome work Gillie! I've been wanting to try my hand at these fellas for a while now. On a rating scale of 1 to 10 can you assess how much work these require (1 being bugger-all, 10 being excruciatingly difficult)? I would think somewhere between 4 and 7. Just outta curiosity :)

Hey, Ace...

As you can see this was a very simplistic setup... work required was maybe a 3, if that? I soaked the hay for about an hour, and then filled the bag with the myc (wbs innoc'd from agar), and hung it up on the patio, set and forget til you get bored and poke holes in it...

I guess it's gonna be as difficult as you make it...

My son is stoked with it, he gets up in the morning and first thing he wants to do is see the "mushrooms coming out the window of their house" (he's only two) :wub:

wow that's neat! where did you get the original myc from? did you isolate on to agar yourself?

Watertrade helped me out with a colonised plate, a long while ago now (sorta goes to show how long the plates will last - i think i've still got a few sitting in the cupboard waiting thier turn :) )

I haven't tried doing my own agars as yet, thought i'd grow the little blighters first, then maybe go into that later...

You guys storing agar plates in the fridge, or at room temp in the dark or something..is there any difference in fact...?

H.

These plates are just in the back of a cupboard, have been there for close to 9 months or so now? Still going strong, King oyster, elm oyster and shiitake, i think there is one more...

nice work gillie, would love to see the progress :) you got any kings on the way or they still on plates?

yeah hunab i keep my oysters at room temp and often for extended periods (1-2years), can depend on the species how long it'll last, it's not really great practice in the sense of it's best to run the grow out in peak condition as it's running, but I can't say i've really seen much vigor decline if any from memory, especially oysters.

so keeping plates in the fridge won't hurt though right....?

just stall or stop the myc from growing I'm assuming.

Oh and yeah Gill definately nice job on those....I'd be proud to knock bags of oysters like that...

My son is stoked with it, he gets up in the morning and first thing he wants to do is see the "mushrooms coming out the window of their house" (he's only two)

:lol: kids...they are so funny...always see things literally in their innocent world.

H.

Edited by Hunab Ku

nice work gillie, would love to see the progress :) you got any kings on the way or they still on plates?

yeah hunab i keep my oysters at room temp and often for extended periods (1-2years), can depend on the species how long it'll last, it's not really great practice in the sense of it's best to run the grow out in peak condition as it's running, but I can't say i've really seen much vigor decline if any from memory, especially oysters.

That is wicked! how would a newb start out doing the same? is it very difficult to get hold of myc? i'm keen to grow edibles mainly..

is it possibe to get hands on myc for psubs?

so if i have some death caps in my backyard and although there is good reason for this apart from research, can I somehow take a scraping of that and somehow grow them in the same fashion? or if i find a patch somewhere... how can I capture this to maybe grow in my backyard?

so what would happen if i find a particular shroom that i like... can i stuff it inside some cow turd, take that home - lob it around the backyard and expect some to grow... from the turd?

Is it pricey to grow your own? (equipment to set it all up)

Is it hard to obtain psub spore/myc?

actually no.... just point me to a patch and I'll never bother anyone again :wink:

please excuse my ignorance on the topic.. i am a newb... I live near the blue mountains, for 20 years.. and i speak to people that find shrooms nearby but I have NEVER... doing my head in...

cheers heaps!

Cheers :)

The kings are still on plates - i tried some, but the wbs was a bit mushy, and went feral - i've got some growth in there, was gonna do a rough as guts attempt with what is there (if i can get any rougher :)) and see what happens...

The missus sent me a pic of the oysters this morning, sorry about the quality (phone camera and baby in one arm), but you can see the growth in two days!

post-3727-1242890567_thumb.jpg

post-3727-1242890609_thumb.jpg

glad to see them working out Gilligan :)

when someone says ' our responsible for this..' I'm normally worried.

those plates must have been from mid last year - that's when I last did a big 'take your pick of my cultures' give away.

I should do it again sometime.

also glad people are still interested in growing edibles ;)

Awesome work man, they look fantastic! Awesome little community story too, good on ya for reporting back with results.

glad to see them working out Gilligan :)

when someone says ' our responsible for this..' I'm normally worried.

those plates must have been from mid last year - that's when I last did a big 'take your pick of my cultures' give away.

I should do it again sometime.

also glad people are still interested in growing edibles ;)

Grin... nah, you did good by me dude, muchly appreciated as always :)

Yeah, it was around then, just goes to show that they can quite easily last a while before being used.

Again, cheers, ears :)