The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
santiago

Is life a race?

Hello all this is my first post as a new member.

Firstly i must say it is a privilege to be here and i hope to make an input to the knowledge, intelligence and fun a creative forum such as this can offer.

The question, is life a race?

We only have roughly 70 to 80 years on average to make a life of it, so is it better to go gung ho and burn bright, die young and get the absolute most out of life, or is better to build the blocks slowly and reap the rewards of patience and rewards later on ?

Even though there really is no right or wrong it would be interesting to hear various philosophies.

Life IS a race... it just doesn't matter who wins as long as you have a good time running :lol:

Hello all this is my first post as a new member.

Firstly i must say it is a privilege to be here and i hope to make an input to the knowledge, intelligence and fun a creative forum such as this can offer.

The question, is life a race?

We only have roughly 70 to 80 years on average to make a life of it, so is it better to go gung ho and burn bright, die young and get the absolute most out of life, or is better to build the blocks slowly and reap the rewards of patience and rewards later on ?

Even though there really is no right or wrong it would be interesting to hear various philosophies.

Different strokes for different folks...

I'd prefer to take it easy and taste all of lifes treats (except veges :lol: ) while hard and fast is the better way for some.

Do whatever you want as long as ya' don't hurt anyone :wink:

no.........yes.......damn coin landed on its edge,sorry cant tell you at the moment.......

t s t .

Do whatever you want as long as ya' don't hurt anyone

That is a great philosophy Germinator, thats how I live my life, but I never put it in such a simple sentence!

Edited by rogdog

The best reward in life is a good memory if you ask me. Long term goals are good, but there is no need to sacrifice the day to day joys along the way. Always stop to pick the mushrooms :shroomer: or was it smell the roses? either way...

Edited by kenny

I dunno, to say life is a race is to say life is linear. I think doing anything is progress.

I dunno, to say life is a race is to say life is linear. I think doing anything is progress.

By linear what do you mean?

As in.... it goes in a line.

very few people seem to have heard of merkaba and similar tools for ascension, let alone using them......

t s t

I don't like the term 'race' so much as it implies the only thing we are to do is to make it to the finish line. But one could use the word 'struggle' if he wanted to put it this way...

nice thoughts... earlier in life , 10+ years, I came to believe that it's moments, each every moment and the value we place in it by living it through the most vital segments of life. Each moment, each magical night, each hug, each fascinating discussion, each fucking graft the took, each cactus flower that lives only for a few hours, has it's huge, autonomous importance alone if you connect to it. The next day will bring on other things, but there's no reason to feel depressed.. One will keep on living and live through many other magical moments in his life...

it takes some luck and skill to go through it and make your life full of such moments, but the point of view also plays a part too... taking over your life is important too... and having goals of course plays a part in the long term strategical planning...

still I am quite convinced that it's the early years that one is able to party and getting it intense and all ... later on you get tired more easily :) Another important bit here is the child-in-us thing. I believe it's vital to keep it alive, even through aging... I suspect most of you understand what I am saying...

I would also call the male-female romance as war, game, struggle, fight to start a convesation, but that's another discussion right? Or is it not?

Sometimes I feel as though I'm wasting time and sometimes I feel like nothings a waste.

Think it was Maslow who said we should distinguish between linear, causative thought processes and synaesthetic discontinuous integral consciousness. hehe!

Life is totally a race. In our society anyway. I like to strut down the street at a leisurely pace, for example, whereas a lot of people are wired off their nut and can barely sit still!

um where would we be racing to? death? kinda like whoever dies with the most stuff wins?

i feel sorry for people who think that life is some kind of a race. it must be an extremely miserable existance.

when your own success is only measured by others misfortune.

um where would we be racing to? death? kinda like whoever dies with the most stuff wins?

i feel sorry for people who think that life is some kind of a race. it must be an extremely miserable existance.

when your own success is only measured by others misfortune.

I don't like the idea of getting caught up in a materialistic world either but where does collecting plants come into it?

Is this an exception or am I just as bad as the next guy?

I got the linear part, it was a good starting point and i just wanted to hear more on it, once again using linear as a reference, only really the numbers go in a line ie 1 to 99 or/and the direct line from birth to death, however the analogy is a simple but complex one.

Man its 1232pm to early for this stuff, might have to google merkaba : )

Edited by santiago

eastern spirituality seems to promote the idea of avoiding attachments... maybe coin or auxin can explain it better but collecting plants is fine, identifying strongly with that collection or feeling like it is extremely important to you is not so good.

eastern spirituality seems to promote the idea of avoiding attachments... maybe coin or auxin can explain it better but collecting plants is fine, identifying strongly with that collection or feeling like it is extremely important to you is not so good.

and western[new age?] spirituality might say the opposite?

that you are entitled to make a good income from whatever you devote your life to even spiritual practices.and that sympathetic magic is surrounding yourself with that which you wish to attract.programming.

we need to find the third path,rotfl, value the material as well as the spiritual,find a balance with a heart,lol.......its all god,every thing is made of god,everything is made of god.....isnt it like going to a naturapath and being told what you already know........

t s t .

i'm obviously somewhere else at the moment......i've had a lie down already!

please feel free to ignore this post.....

I like plants. Plants like me.

I think empathy is a form of communication outside the world of words which can be developed on many other levels. I'm want to keep on learning how to see myself in as many different things as possible. Plants help me do this in some ways.

I guess this is my logic on one level to validate my obsession with collecting plants. I think it's healthy to remind myself on a regular basis that I'm full of shit and that this is just a justification.

the game of life.....the name of learys book on tarot.

t s t .

Yeah that book by Leary is really excellent.

Back on topic, a race?

But what are we racing against or racing for ??? A question worth considering.

Racing for death makes as little sense as racing for orgasm.

Sorry, I haven't read the book so I might be out of line.

The idea of a 'race' is a type of game. In my mind there is no difference.

Here is one of the definitions I found on the net that explains what I mean,

Game: A competitive activity involving skill, chance, or endurance on the part of two or more persons who play according to a set of rules, usually for their own amusement or for that of spectators.

Edited by KanJe

I think Leary means something else when he talks about 'games' we play.

But.. in the capitalist game there are leaders and followers, winners and losers.

We are part of a capitalist system, we are in a race.

We [as an economic system] are racing against other countries or other economies.

So as individuals living and working in a capitalist society, we are necessarily involved in a race.

How this affects one's personal life is another matter I suppose.