Sign in to follow this  
Ed Dunkel

Medicine Men Go Wild

Medicine Men Go Wild - Jungle Tripping

ABC 2

29 Apr 2009

8:30pm Wednesday

Documentary CC M

Two young British doctors who happen to be identical twins immerse themselves in cultures in the most extreme places on earth to explore traditional healing methods.

In the fourth programme, Chris and Xand live with the Asháninka, the indigenous people of the rainforests of Peru.

The Asháninka have been a people under siege since the days of the Spanish conquistadors, and current threats include those from oil companies, drug traffickers, colonists, illegal lumberers and illegal road builders. Even ‘benevolent’ individuals and organisations such as missionaries and conservation groups are having a negative impact on this beleagured nation.

During their time in the rainforest, the van Tullekens learn about the ways of Asháninka healing and Shamanistic beliefs, including the powers of ayahuasca.

(Not sure if this had been posted before, but if not, here it is)

Thanks ED,hope things are going well :)

Has been a great series so far. The twins are a bit annoying and surprisingly ignorant at times, but looking beyond that it's really interesting.

Any idea if ABC 2 streams the tv shows after they have aired ?

I did look around the abc website when the show first started but did not see anything at the time ,ill take another look tonight with luck the episodes will make their way to Utube eventually

Ill have another search around & see what i can find

Edited by mac

^ They never seem to make it known ahead of time that they will show on iView later... shame.

I would assume that if the show isn't on youtube now it's not likely to be there any time soon - not an Aussie show after all. I have it scheduled to record, so if it's actually worth watching (I expect will be nothing out of the ordinary - interesting, but nothing amazing), I'll get it out there.

Those leaf-cutter ants are amazing!

Though the locals really seem to have a thing against ants... :unsure:

good episode, cheers

i'm a bit more ignorant of south american goings on than many other posters here, but that was thoroughly enjoyable. just getting to see the place in high-def was good, but i was really amazed when the babies illness was fixed in a way that doesn't remotely make any sense from a western medicine POV.

A great program I am glad I caught it :) Prolly something you will not see on television very ofter at all!

It was much more open mindedly Put together than I was expecting it to be as well!

i was flicking through channels and some how managed to catch it fifteen minutes in. those leaf cutter ants were amazing little creatures to see :o. Yes i found it was very open minded, anyone know if the past episodes were good?

I have seen the 3 other episodes.

My favorite was the 1st Episode when they visited the Bayaka Pygmies & tried helping that sick baby in the village & then took the Sapo with the old lady.

I missed the second episode I think it was called "Worlds Of Pain", they went to the Thaipusam Festival in Kuala Lumpur, Would of been great to see!

Third episode they stayed wih the Chukotka Tribe in North East Russia.

A Great series all up, 5 Stars B)

Edited by DreamingNagual

That was fucking crazy! They actually got their tongue and cheeks skewered like the other participants and carried these huge heavy shrine things up the hundreds of stairs to the big shrine.

Insane stuff...

Peace