The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
spunwhirllin

Serious question

spun, isn't it you being defensive? Everyone here has given your idea plenty of weight and consideration with no extra input from you. You still haven't told us what price you would find reasonable?

Help us help you.

It is hard to sell plants!! especially Trichs, really undervalued imo..

It really gets my goat that the only people that ever complain about these things are from OS. I don't what you're upset about dude, I haven't been following any S'n'S shenanigans lately. Sure the auctions can get out of hand sometimes but it's a free world and none of the buy it now prices ever seem that unreasonable.

The Australian clones are very desirable to a collector like myself,but what makes them so desirable is the fact that I can't aquire them,

That's total bullshit & you know it. I'd love to trade with ya man but you know that's just not possible. Not long ago you had an offer for 3 different desirable cuttings for a token $9 plus postage and you even balked at that. I know postage is expensive but wtf can we do about that?

C'mon guys,lets remain civil. :)

I'll admit,I've been educated as to the asking prices for these cacti,thank you for that.

Strangebrew,

You're right,I spaced on the whole conversation now that you bring it up,but I really don't recall balking at your offer though.Seriously!

Sina,

Like I said,the input from you guys has been valuable in assisting me in understanding the reasons Trich's sell for what they sell for in Aus .You called me out on what a reasonable price would be,I concede that I have no answer other than the answer's that have been posted in this thread by you mambers who actively sell cacti.

Hunab ku,

Go check out the trade forum at the Nook. I gave away 100 + 10cm trichs this last fall for free.I only asked for postage.Hell man I even had to fork out funds for postage because people flaked on me,but you'll always run into flaky bastids.

Edited by spunwhirllin

Hi Guys!

It really gets my goat that the only people that ever complain about these things are from OS.

Strangebrew, i dont think that it has to do with the fact that he´s from Overseas! I dont like that your post makes it apear as if people from overseas are generally naggers! I strongly disagree! I´m from OS too and i really dont know what this has to do with it!

Sometimes you have luck with the prices and sometimes you dont! If Spun says that he had bad luck with some particular vendor, i believe him! Why not. Its definately possible and i dont think that he meant you personally!

I havent bought plants for a long time now! When i was buying plants a few years ago, the prices from many commercial Vendors in germany were indeed very high! And i dont mean ethnobotanical vendors or the prices within the community but the big cactus nurseries like Kakteen-Haage! They have great plants but it was almost impossible to afford them for a normal guy! I once bought a Pachanoi x Peruvianus Hybrid there and i was so proud that i was able to buy it! The Plant costed 150-200 AUS Dollar! I´m not sure about the correct Dollar course right now. The price was 80 Euro! Compared to the prices in the scene, this is a lot more money! Later in my life i bought great plants on ebay for few money! Trichs are really undervalued there and ebay drags the prices down! But there are also some commercial vendors on ebay germany who charge 100 Dollar for a KK242! Here is an example:

http://cgi.ebay.de/Kaktus-San-Pedro-2x50cm...A1%7C240%3A1318

If you ask me, thats one of the situations where i really dont think that the price is realistic! It depends on the plant! I would pay good money for a rare plant that i´m looking for! And with good money i mean up to 100 Euro for a plant! But not for just a regular KK242 thats all over the market! And thats what my comment from above was targeted at! In the end, People decide for themselves what they are willing to spend. Strangebrew, I know how hard it is to cover the costs if you grow Trichocereus! And if you also count the love and the time, the price will probably not nearly cover what you put in it! We have a recession and people have less money than before! I´m sure some would pay more money if they could! No need to argue about that! bye Eg

Edited by Evil Genius

So is this about Swap n Sell? I haven't been there in a long time so can't comment specifically on it. But if so, you can hardly blame the sellers as the buyers are the ones setting the price!

I would really like to understand specifically what you are talking about but understand if you don't wanna reveal that.

EDIT: It's untrue the only price input here has been from "active sellers", I see plenty of buyers who posted here to note they were happy with their purchase and price paid!

Edited by Sina

Sina,

As stated above

''Like I said,the input from you guys has been valuable in assisting me in understanding the reasons Trich's sell for what they sell for in Aus .You called me out on what a reasonable price would be,I concede that I have no answer other than the answer's that have been posted in this thread by you members who actively sell cacti.''.

I didn't say ''only by members who sell cacti''.

Why can't you tell us your idea of the price?

I've purchased all my collection, and very happy with them. For some i would have paid more!

SwapNsell has been fairly quiet of late and when it is going nuts its the buyers goin crazy with the bidding that makes it seem a lil out of control.

Spun, are you questioning prices in AU because you give away so much and because of this do you think its wrong for ppl in Au to be selling trich cuts or plants? Do you think there is not enough trading here as compared to the nook?

Id really like to know why this whole thread was started!!!

PD,

The thread was started because I was apalled by SOME of the prices being asked by SOME sellers,I possibly over generalized.

Please don't imply that I'm boasting about the cacti giveway.The statment was in response to a direct question for which I had a direct answer.

No,I don't believe it's wrong to sell Trichs at all.I plan to start selling Trichs myself,though it won't be easy,as It's really hard to let go of plants to strangers.

Like I said,I have learned why the plants go for what they go for.

As for the price of a standard plant, $1 U.S. an inch is reasonable,so thats .40 a cm. If we're talking rare named clones such as the RSFAT4 ,or wild collected forms from Peru I'd be hard pressed to sell them for less than $3 an inch.This is if I would in fact sell them at all.

I acknowledge where everyone is coming from,but someone had to ask. :huh:

Edited by spunwhirllin

I aknowledge where everyone is coming from,but someone had to ask. :huh:

No harm in asking spun, and I am sure some sellers will take your input into consideration.

If anyone was curious 1USD/inch = 0.55AUD/cm according to google.

which mean s....one years growth approx 12 inches.....equals $6au ......equals a lot more people just buying cheap drugs not people growing plants?thats one reason slightly higher prices are more realistic.......

t s t .

As someone who has just bought his first couple of cacti I've been really happy with the prices I've paid to people on this forum, you guys rock!! In fact I feel a bit guilty cos I seem to be snaffling up a whole heap of plants for next to nothing!! No-one likes a cactus pig :)

which mean s....one years growth approx 12 inches.....equals $6au ......equals a lot more people just buying cheap drugs not people growing plants?thats one reason slightly higher prices are more realistic.......

t s t .

tantra I think you misread, 1USD/inch = 0.55AUD/cm

0.55 * (12" = 30cm) 30 = 16.5AUD/12"/30cm

Trichocereus should be about $25-30 dollors AT THE ABSOULTE MOST for a single 12inch cutting, but $20 is normally about what I pay.