The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
t st tantra

about cactus potency

i get the impression the cactii which are most highly valued are not necessarily the most potent but often have some qualitative property which is seen as more valuable.

t s t .

Sometimes that is very true although two of the most valued cacti traditionally employed for sacramental use, Lophophora williamsii and Trichocereus pachanoi, are also the two highest testing plants appearing in the scientific literature.

i get the impression the cactii which are most highly valued are not necessarily the most potent but often have some qualitative property which is seen as more valuable.

t s t .

As seen HERE ... a lot of the time it's about having a collection of rare ones and good hybrids that look good...nothing to do with potency.

Good quality genetics and good forms are worth more to the grower to propagate and sell as opposed to cultivating for consumption.

H.

yes, personally a good peruvianus has a qualitative advantage over tbm, or other bridges (generally).

A combination can be better than either alone!

I love the look of them, this is my first concern, much like Mike Smith I grow for the sheer beauty of the plants. I am always looking at my collection to compare visual appeal of the clones and seedlings.

expensive addiction i say but a beautiful one. with all plants/cacti; the sheer beauty of growth/form and the history of them combine into something truly special your own botancial gardens.

Any trich that has that really nice powdery blue appearance and uniform, neat and tall upright growth is what appeals mostly to me and also seems to appeal to most other plant lovers who know nothing of potency either,

Nice blue bridgesii and peruvian x pachonoi hybrids really get alot attention from most of the public i have noticed

Although nothing beats the picture of fully blooming matured scopilcola, this overrides and surpasses potency any day, hands down!!

I love the look of them, this is my first concern, much like Mike Smith I grow for the sheer beauty of the plants. I am always looking at my collection to compare visual appeal of the clones and seedlings.

I feel what your saying bud. I love them :wub: , the look the puping the fruit the seeds they are some of the most amazing plants I have ever owned. Peru's are the king of cacti nice and fat and blue. Cant wait to goto peru later this year or next year and see them at their house wil be awesome!

I am just fascinated with them & must admit i have been bitten by the cacti bug, starting with many small ornamental & now have a new addiction to buying owning as many different variety's as possible .

I must admit i have more lophs & pachonoi than other species & love my 2 scopilcola's. i do try to have at least 2 plants of each from different sources for genetic diversity

I do want to collect some more bridgesii and peruvian's but have recently became interested in owning different hybrids & hope to eventually cross pollinate my own collection & learn as much as i can on the hybridizing of different species