The Corroboree

Always wanted to give psytrance a go but never really devoted enough time to it. I've been spending a bit of time working out how to use FL studio and finally came up with a finished song I didn't mind. So i'd like to know what other psy fans think, thanks.

http://www.myspace.com/psychoticliberation

Edited by lsdreamz

nice song.

this isn't supposed to be criticism but it doesn't sound like psytrance to me for two simple reasons, it's quite slow and the bass doesn't drive. sounds like it might be the default 120 beats per minute.

I'd like to hear it at 148..... would need a diff bassline though

It doesn't have to be psytrance to be good. As soon as you start conforming to the rules of a genre you start breaking the creative flow and limiting the possiblities....

thanks for the replies guys

yeah i know its not your typical psytrance sort of song, like ayjay said, i dont want to conform to a genre. im just gunna do my own thing and do what i think sounds good. and i think psytrance is fucking awesome so i enjoy basing my music around that sort of thing.

i wouldnt mind giving the bass a bit more drive though, id like it to be a bit more prominent because i reckon it goes well when there are all the other melodic layers. does anyone know how to give it a bit more drive, should i just turn it up louder?

hey and btw critisism is welcome, i dont think ill ever stop looking to improve.

the tempo is about 220, i set it like that so i could space the beats over two bars, because when its set over one bar, i only get 4 beats per bar, this way i get eight, so i can add faster sounds like a drum roll for example. if anyone knows how to keep the tempo in the hundreds but still have eight 'beats' per bar in the piano roll id like to know how its done?

so you guys think it would all sound better if it was faster? id speed it up if i had more time, but then id have to reset all the delays. ill keep that in mind next time i write and play around with the tempo a bit more to see what sounds best.

thanks for the replies guys

yeah i know its not your typical psytrance sort of song, like ayjay said, i dont want to conform to a genre. im just gunna do my own thing and do what i think sounds good. and i think psytrance is fucking awesome so i enjoy basing my music around that sort of thing.

i wouldnt mind giving the bass a bit more drive though, id like it to be a bit more prominent because i reckon it goes well when there are all the other melodic layers. does anyone know how to give it a bit more drive, should i just turn it up louder?

hey and btw critisism is welcome, i dont think ill ever stop looking to improve.

the tempo is about 220, i set it like that so i could space the beats over two bars, because when its set over one bar, i only get 4 beats per bar, this way i get eight, so i can add faster sounds like a drum roll for example. if anyone knows how to keep the tempo in the hundreds but still have eight 'beats' per bar in the piano roll id like to know how its done?

so you guys think it would all sound better if it was faster? id speed it up if i had more time, but then id have to reset all the delays. ill keep that in mind next time i write and play around with the tempo a bit more to see what sounds best.

I'm confused why you have done this...so actually the tempo is 110bpm..drum and bass producers use that trick of sequencing the beats at say 165-180 bpm's and then using samples mixed in that are half that speed..for instance you can have an audio track with a wave file that is tempo stretched to 170bpm's..and 8 bars...you set your sequencers tempo to 85bpm's and input midi data and the whole thing syncs up nicely. Generally this technique is not used for Psytrance as the tempo's are around 135 to 150 bpm's ...usually a lot of the track is midi based and a few samples are thrown over as audio tracks for effects etc. You can sample and rip sounds from your favorite tracks and edit them in an audio editor and then trigger them via a software sampler or something like Dr Rex in Reason. Writing Psytrance is not as easy as it sounds I've been twiddling for 15 years and there is always new shit to learn...have a listen to Scorb and hallucinogen if you wanna hear some really top notch psytrance production.

H.

Mardy my only advice is to thicken it up a bit, although you might be wanting to keep the minimal vibe, i dunno..

While i love the synth and squelch tracks, the bass line and drums good do with a bit more meat, maybe some syncopation, thicker effects (echo, reverb etc), play with the eq, cutoff & res, etc. etc.

But that's just my taste

disclaimer: don't listen to me

mardy i'm only familiar with cubase but if i understand your question, there is probably a button that says something like '1/8' and you can change that to '1/16', '1/32', '1/64', these change the piano roll so you can fit smaller notes.

as for giving your bass line more drive, generic psy basically goes 'chugga chugga' or some variation thereof eg 'chugga chug chugga chug'. that's what i meant by drive. you'd probably want to play with the velocity on those chus, ggas, and chugs. also, since your bass might be getting heaps chunky, you might need to look into sidechaining, so that the bass backs off when the kick drum sounds. probably the trickiest thing i can do (sometimes), but you can look up a tutorial to learn side chaining.

ok thanks alot for the replies guys. very helpful!

does anyone know how to give it a bit more drive, should i just turn it up louder?

:lol::lol::lol:

probably the trickiest thing i can do (sometimes), but you can look up a tutorial to learn side chaining.

Side chaining is very simple. Set attack to as low as possible, so that as soon as the kick kick's, the compression starts. Set the release to be as long as the kick drum note (maybe 200-500ms, but you can time your kick to figure that out). Depedning how much pumping you want, set threshold high with a high ratio, so theres only a small portion of the bass being reduced by quite a lot. Alternatively, if you have a lower threshold and high ratio, you will get a very typical Israeli trance sound....Darker psy requires more gain reduction, but for a less amount of time....Hope that helps at all.

"Psyshack" is awesome, I really like it!!!

if i was playing a dark, creepy video game of the future this would be great backing music send a few demos to EA or whoever. i like it in that context phemohilia above.

Edited by santiago

Nice track, not psytrance though...

I would prefer it a bit more maximal, but it's cool as is :)