The Corroboree
momomoto

Xanthines

Just wondering the effects if one were to consume a wide variety of xanthines from different sources, say coffee, gurana, chocolate, tea, yerba etc - in all various shades of isomer.

Does this just contribute to the one same source (trigger or action) of stimulation - or overstimulation as the case would be if you did take them all!

I guess I'm not up to scratch on the pharmacological processes of these stimulants, but it would be cool to know what could be combined for a pleasant "drop a big-ass rainbow on my brain this morning 'cause I feel shitty and need something to help me crawl through the next few hours" type experience.

A lot of the subjective differences between one caffeine containing plant and another deal not with the variation of methylxanthines but with the other chemicals present.

If you extracted the alkaloids from Mate, coffee and guarana I doubt you would notice any difference, very sensitive GCMS machines don't seem to be able to tell them apart, however each of the plants has a different effect overall.

I drink coffee in decent quantities and it is psychoactive for me in a way different from mate, green/black teas, caffeine pills and such. I find that coffee varies in effect but often gives me a buzz not unlike cannabis. Cheap coffee gives me an uneasy jittery feeling though, I go for the good stuff. I can drink 40 oz of good coffee in a day but feel like shit if I drink >20 fl. oz of shitty coffee like folgers or the type gas stations tend to carry.

As stated above, various Caffeine containing plants also contain other actives:

Theobromine may have more of a mood lifting effect than caffeine, but milder stimulation.

Theanine may reduce some of the anxiety from too much caffeine.

There are others too . . .

When consumed in non-extracted plant form, Guarana for instance releases caffeine into the bloodstream slower (via the intestines), providing a milder but longer lasting stimulation with less crash.

Of all caffeine containing plants, Yerba mate is the most interesting imo, it would appear the most beneficial with the widest range of effects.

I've had clear euphoria from mate. No other caffeine plant has caused the same mood elevation it gives me.

yerba can make me completely escstatic

its awesome

way more than jsut caffeine, etc. in there

like i get high as a kite and stimulated off my ass

but guarana is also a really good source for xanthines

at least i really like guarana for a good kick (has a lot of caffeine, so its easy to take)

theobromine (cocao) is also good, but very very mild, def helps with caffeine and stuff though. its very interesting the mixture and quite distinct effects that can be produced from those few chemicals

I've never tried guarana, not counting soda's from South America that have it as a minor ingredient.

It sounds nice.

yea it can cause some constipation though

but a few g of powdered seed is really good, and as mentioned the digestion factor allows for a nice sustained boost and it doesnt have a hard comedown, but i find it better in terms of long good energy than drinking lots of tea, and sometimes yerba I can only drink so much before i am pissing every 30 mins

smoking small amts of coffee beans in tobacco is very stimulating.

t s t .

here is how i make my coffee...hmmm turkish style.... with cardamom :drool2:

med_gallery_1508_216_32946.jpg

I find mate makes me less jittery than coffee. Crap coffee gives me massive headaches, and coffee before bed actually makes me drowsy.

Also I never really noticed until someone above was talking about that awesome retro 70s espresso machine that if the jug is boiled for instant coffee I get headaches as well as the taste being shit. Pre-boil is the best for instant coffee. I'm a tea drinker in general though, average around 5 cups a day :lol: Maybe only 3 in summer.

coffee makes me at times drowsy too (but that lasts only 15min or so), and i think it's because the coffee releases some serotonin at the beginning.

same with coca tea. when i used to smoke pot and drink alc, i always used coffee as a good night cup, but without the other stuff the rule is, no coffee 4-6 hours before bedtime.

did any of you ever experience a coffe overdose? very, very strong coffee can make me sick for a whole next day...

the site mac mentioned, www.yerbamateaustralia.com.au

refers to a patent "[...] a recently filed US Patent (2002) cites yerba maté for inhibiting monoamine oxidase (MAO) activity by 40-50% in vitro."

that's pretty interesting

yes, a strong cup of coffee is an overdose for me...i would end up having to lie down

hmm also from that website:

“One of the remarkable aspects of maté is that it does not interfere with sleep cycles; in fact, it has a tendency to balance the cycles, inducing more REM sleep when necessary, or increasing the amount of time spent in delta states. Many people report that they require less sleep when using maté; usually such an experience is accompanied by a deeper, more relaxing sleep.”

Edited by coin

the site mac mentioned, www.yerbamateaustralia.com.au

refers to a patent "[...] a recently filed US Patent (2002) cites yerba maté for inhibiting monoamine oxidase (MAO) activity by 40-50% in vitro."

that's pretty interesting

Hmm. A few months ago I parachuted some yohimbe material (~1000mgs) afte having two very strong mugs of mate and was pretty sick for a few hours after that. Extremely horny but vomiting, dizzy, hot, vertigo. It came on extremely quickly too.