The Corroboree
mr b.caapi

Perth Pedro

absolutely one of the nicest looking cactus Ive seen...great save Mr Caapi...plant her up and lets see how she performs.

yeh shes a nice one, its such a shame there was no sign of flowering but, the owner reckons hes never known it to flower either.

i call it peruvianus.

have had it flower and fruit.

t s t .

Edited by t st tantra

As a suggestion its always worth trying to learn the source of nursery stock. A common hurdle I have encountered is that many times nursery people perceive the question to be an attempt to end run them and deal directly with one of their sources to save some bucks.

Reminding them that knowing as much as possible about the history underlying the plants in one's collection is important for serious cactus collectors has worked well for me in most cases.

In a surprising number of cases I have found that this line of questioning leads to a really friendly level of interaction and helpfulness.

A very useful question to counter "I don't know" is to ask for their opinion concerning who *could* be asked that might either know or who might know who to ask who to ask. This generally gets greeted with laughter but is also usually followed with something helpful.

Its just a thought.

It would be great if someone in Oz decided the history of early Australian cactus collectors and growers was of interest to uncover.

Looks exactly like the predominant pachanoi clone over here in NZ. Fast grower, and nutritious.

in adelaide this cactii appears to have been grown by italian migrants for prob decades.

there are a fair number of plants in the eastern suburbs.

may have never seen a nursery?

t s t .

Yeh a trip back to get more info is in planning atm :).

Pretty plant.......................... so I thought that by now the whole OZ countryside would have been full of Pedro....... Roos eating and tripping on the stuff......... the natives going even more native........ seeing things like that........

soo........ I guess it is just another beautiful picture of the humble begingings!

I love the squarish ribs!

so what are the final thoughts on this cactus?

sausage plant(macro) or...?

so what are the final thoughts on this cactus?

sausage plant(macro) or...?

M.S Smith's final thoughts on it were Peruvianus

This is the sausage plant/tree climber. Quite a bit of this in semi-arid SA big old tough plants. I posted a thread a year or so ago with a picture of this plant growing up and over the branch of a eucalypt. An interesting plant for sure on a number of levels. Looks very much like pachanois in Peru with its very rounded ribs except that it does the weird rib morphs and terminates at the tip growing like a string of sausages. Grows slowly IME and does not pup readily at the base but rather when the tip closes over. Flowers are somewhat smaller than most trichs. I really am fond of this plant. Seems to have ethic connotations re: it's introduction to SA as many of the cacti in this state do as tantra suggests; I believe it originally came from victoria into SA (also as many of our plants have).

Edited by Micromegas

I X'd it with common PC pachanoi, macro? was the mother and the terminating habit and morphing tendencies have carried across.

Kinda cute on 2-3cm seedlings!

That's interesting Sb. I wonder if the sausage plant does this at such a young age. And I wonder if something that does this as a seedling can grow into a decent sized plant or will stay as a novelty specimen, which would be cool.

I X'd it with common PC pachanoi, macro? was the mother and the terminating habit and morphing tendencies have carried across.

Kinda cute on 2-3cm seedlings!

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

show us! picsssss! "tell us about the glands!!! :drool2: :drool2: what about the glands?!!!!! ~~~ :drool2: :drool2: "

My thoughts have been that the terminating habit could have something to do with age, a bit like cancer, genetic mutations over time. Lots of old cactus specimens in the wild seem to develop mutations and the terminating looked to occur more and more with age on big old plants but now I'm not so sure.

post-608-126464254481_thumb.jpg

hmmm, its reminiscent of Yowie when looking at the tip

great, thanks! keep it updated, maybe open a separate thread. quite different phenotypes you crossed , hey?

Edited by mutant

It looks like a plant that I call 'short spined' peruvianus.

Lots of it around in Victoria.

A lovely cactus.

Heres a Photo i took today of it pupping at the tip.

063.jpg

This is one of my top 5 cactus..I simply love this plant...thanks Bush Turkey for sending me a wicked cut..kudos to you man.

• Like 1

This is one of my top 5 cactus..I simply love this plant...thanks Bush Turkey for sending me a wicked cut..kudos to you man.

Good to hear its getting around :wink:

My thoughts have been that the terminating habit could have something to do with age, a bit like cancer, genetic mutations over time. Lots of old cactus specimens in the wild seem to develop mutations and the terminating looked to occur more and more with age on big old plants but now I'm not so sure.

there was a discussion about senescence recently & in particular how it may affect trichocereus spp. could be a related to what you're talking about? interesting...

nice plant btw